Reload this Page >

Your 5 MOST WANTED Criterion DVDs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Your 5 MOST WANTED Criterion DVDs?

Old 04-30-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDuke
A re-release of Picnic at Hanging Rock, with all the extras from the PAL edition.

Criterion is re-releasing this with a new transfer... not sure about the extras
Old 04-30-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I don't ever think we'll see a R1 release of Warhol's films. His estate feels that the films should only be viewed in a museum setting, since they're "art".
The Warhol Foundation allows screenings in non-museum settings (e.g. repertory theaters) -- Facets in Chicago had a retrospective last November. It seems that they just don't want them to be seen on home video.
Old 04-30-08, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Criterion is re-releasing this with a new transfer... not sure about the extras
really?!?! That makes me so happy, so you have a source?
Old 04-30-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I should add, that Criterion should re-release a lot of their non-anamorphic titles that they still own. I am sure SD DVD owners would like that.
Old 04-30-08, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
they should try to obtain the rights to the longer 182 minute version of Kwaidan
Yes to that Giles. But I only want it on DVD with restored audio and picture and substantial extras.
Old 04-30-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to own any movie I love that has a current terrible DVD edition.
Right now I would have to say the Blue Collar is at the top of my list for a re-release. I want this movie badly (I don't have the OOP Anchor Bay version) and would take it from any studio releasing it.
Old 05-01-08, 08:58 AM

I would really like to see the Titicut Follies (1967) get the Criterion treatment. With that movies past, there could be some really great extras. Hell, I'd like to see a regular DVD release of this movie.
Old 05-01-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheDuke
really?!?! That makes me so happy, so you have a source?
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23
Old 05-01-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by doraemon10
I would really like to see the Titicut Follies (1967) get the Criterion treatment. With that movies past, there could be some really great extras. Hell, I'd like to see a regular DVD release of this movie.
It's available through Wiseman's site zipporah.com.

Originally Posted by Dan Average
The Warhol Foundation allows screenings in non-museum settings (e.g. repertory theaters) -- Facets in Chicago had a retrospective last November. It seems that they just don't want them to be seen on home video.
The Foundation gave a $100,000 grant to the NFPF toward the next "Treasures from American Film Archives" set scheduled for this fall. I'm assuming some Warhol shorts will be included.
Old 05-01-08, 03:55 PM

The Game
Crash (Cronenberg)
Tampopo
Bottle Rocket
The Quiet Man
Old 05-04-08, 07:41 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Bottle Rocket
Howard Stern's Private Parts
Motorama
Roadracers

I have a fifth, but can't think of the damn title at the moment...
Old 05-05-08, 08:44 PM

1. Vertigo
2. Godfather
3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
4. Gladiator
5. Sixth Sense
Old 05-05-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by BackStJoe
Bottle Rocket
Howard Stern's Private Parts
Motorama
Roadracers

I have a fifth, but can't think of the damn title at the moment...
Cars with Balls?
Old 05-06-08, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

La Notte
Rocco and His Brothers
Chimes at Midnight
Magnificent Ambersons
Old 05-06-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dumio
1. Vertigo
2. Godfather
3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
4. Gladiator
5. Sixth Sense
Snow White just needs a re-issue of the 2001 DVD, maybe with a newer remaster. No reason for a Criterion.

Gladiator has a 2-disc of the theatrical cut and a 3-disc of the extended cut. Why is a Criterion necessary?

The Sixth Sense has a 2-disc SE already.

and The Godfather is getting a remastered SE anyways, from Paramount.
Old 05-06-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
How much of an upgrade is this going to be over the trilogy set?
Old 05-06-08, 02:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
How much of an upgrade is this going to be over the trilogy set?

see post #49 no word though on any new extras.
Old 05-06-08, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Snow White just needs a re-issue of the 2001 DVD, maybe with a newer remaster. No reason for a Criterion.

Gladiator has a 2-disc of the theatrical cut and a 3-disc of the extended cut. Why is a Criterion necessary?

The Sixth Sense has a 2-disc SE already.

Just my imagination, that Snow White could be the first animated movie (correct me if I'm wrong) that ever released in Criterion, it's a definite Masterpiece from Disney.

Gladiator deserved it I think, just like the epic predecessor "Spartacus".

Yes, you're right with "Sixth Sense", the Buena Vista edition is superior enough.

"Godfather" is always one of my all-time favorites, that's why I'd like to have it in my collection in Criterion edition.

With Vertigo, Man, isn't Mr. Hitchcock a genius? Even now, the plot in that movie is always timeless.
Old 05-06-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dumio
Just my imagination, that Snow White could be the first animated movie (correct me if I'm wrong) that ever released in Criterion, it's a definite Masterpiece from Disney.

Gladiator deserved it I think, just like the epic predecessor "Spartacus".

Yes, you're right with "Sixth Sense", the Buena Vista edition is superior enough.

"Godfather" is always one of my all-time favorites, that's why I'd like to have it in my collection in Criterion edition.

With Vertigo, Man, isn't Mr. Hitchcock a genius? Even now, the plot in that movie is always timeless.
Yes, Hitchcock was a genius, but Universal already has a fully-loaded remastered edition. Gladiator never needed Criterion since the original DVD was a fully loaded 2-disc SE and later had a fully loaded 3-disc extended cut DVD. Judging from the R2 restored Godfather set, Paramount already will have a Criterion-level releas.

The point of Criterion gaining rights to films is to provide better a/v quality, more supplements, and taking films out of unavailability in R1. It's not really fair for them to spend time on titles already with A+ treatment just for the sake of the Criterion label.

Snow White just needs to be brought back in print by Disney. If anything Disney should be licensed, it would be Song of the South. In terms of animation, Criterion's best option would be the Max Fleischer cartoons owned by Paramount (Betty Boop, Color Classics, existing Koko, etc.) which are licensed to Lionsgate right now.

I know this is a poll thread, but there's so many unreleased or poorly handled titles out there that desperately need the Criterion treatment. Not movies with a 3-disc SE on shelves.
Old 05-06-08, 10:29 PM

1. King of the Hill - Steven Soderbergh

2. Homicide - David Mamet

3. Exotica - Atom Egoyan

4. Eye of God - Tim Blake Nelson

5. Just for the hell of it, how about those really awesome Made-for-television horror movies from the 70's and early 80's such as Don't Go To Sleep, Satan's Triangle, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, and many more that I can't think of the name of.
Old 05-07-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Here goes another batch:

David Cronenberg's M. Butterfly
Michelangelo Antonioni's Zabriskie Point
Bernardo Bertolucci's Luna
Alejandro Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre
Robert Bresson's A Gentle Woman
Old 05-07-08, 02:20 AM

Twilight Samurai: The current (R1) version sucks. Non-Anamorphic and it was released in 2003. If you're responsible for such an affront to that great film, you should be skinned (if
you haven't committed seppku already).

Pigs and Battleships

Stalker

Napoleon 1927

Underworld USA
Old 05-07-08, 05:19 AM

Repulsion
Cul-de-sac
Rosemary's Baby
Old 05-07-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Babenco's 'Ironweed' - such an amazing film, and a very rare instance where the author, who won the Pulitzer for the novel he wrote, actually wrote the screenplay... the author of the book ported his own material... an American masterpiece this film is... and not only is there not a good R1 edition, it has never been released on DVD except a very poor release out of Sweden... Nicholson and Steep both Oscar nominated... incredible supporting cast... this, more than any other film, is the one i'd most like anyone to release... a Criterion release would be the bee's knees... the fact that there is no DVD of this movie is the worst crime of any unreleased film...

2. Tarkovsky's 'Stalker' - the current Ruscico release is a crime, and yes the Kino is just a re-release of the Ruscico INCLUDING the altered 5.1 audio track, with the music on the 'rail car ride in the zone' sequence, and offset queues... the video quality is poor... seems like they would do something with one... since they have done Tarkovsky, and i think the licensing situation is the same as it was on the Solaris film...

3. Borzage's 'Strange Cargo' - this is damn near a perfect film... my pick for Joan Crawford's best work, Clark Gable, Peter Lorre, Ian Hunter freaking steals the show and it's also my favorite film by him... this had never been released until the recent Joan Crawford collection... but i would love to see the Criterion treatment on this one... what a terrific film...

4. Brando's 'One Eyed Jacks' - this western is near a masterpiece... what an excellent film... i'm sure everyone here knows the the story of ~16 different shit releases by crap companies, and they all suck, every release... so you have to choose the 'least suck' version on a $4 DVD to see this wonderful film... if some dime store hole in the wall can get licensing for this film it's a cake walk for Janus/Criterion to... and finally give Brando's excellent turn as a director a proper release for the first time...

5. Mizoguchi's 'The 47 Ronin: Parts 1 & 2' - it's Mizoguchi, need i say more?... and the first film tale of the Chushingura on film, with strong themes to build up the Japanese national pride and commitment in a tine of war, similar to Olivier's 'Henry V'... i would so love to see this film get the Criterion treatment... the Korean release is really poor video quality, and the Image Ent. release is like $60 for used copies... and i would expect Criterion to continue their Mizoguchi trend... i hope we will see this one...
Old 05-07-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I'll second Rosemary's Baby and King of the Hill

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.