DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jet Li's Fearless: Director's Cut - 7/8/08

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Li's Fearless: Director's Cut - 7/8/08

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...fearless2.html

Originally Posted by DVD Active
Universal Home Video has announced Jet Li's Fearless: Director's Cut which stars Jet Li, Nakamura Shidou, Sun Li, and Dong Yong. The 2-disc release will include the director's cut (2 Hours 21 Minutes), unrated version (1 Hour 44 Minutes) and the original theatrical version (1 Hour 43 Minutes). Each will be presented in 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with Mandarin and English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. English subtitles will also be included. The only extra material will be deleted scenes, and A Fearless Journey featurette.
Cover art is available through the above link.
Old 04-25-08, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never bought the previous release, but I enjoyed the movie. I'll probably check out this cut.
Old 04-25-08, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow 40 extra minutes. I could do without the shorter cuts but if they are on Disc 2 then I will pass that disc on to my uncle and keep the DC
Old 04-25-08, 02:15 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good movie, but I'll stick with the first release
Old 04-25-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Any break down as to whether the additional footage contains additional fight scenes. I remember hearing that Michelle Yeoh was actually in a cut of the movie, as was a scene of Jet Li taking on a Muai Thai fighter.
Old 04-25-08, 09:30 AM

Will this be on BluRay too? Might as well go hi def while I double dip.
Old 04-25-08, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes you wonder if the extra 40 minutes is "fluff" or if it is something you would want to see. It could go either way. Some times the longer cut of a feature just gets boring and slow.
Old 04-25-08, 09:52 AM

Cool, I guess waiting on buying the first release paid off. I'll get the Director's Cut 2-Disc version instead and not have to double dip on this good picture.
Old 04-25-08, 10:50 AM
Cool New Member

I knew this was coming at some point. Its taken a little longer than I expected though. I still can't believe that they didn't include the fight with the Thai boxer in the original cut of the film, it's absolutely essential to the story, and its a great action scene. I sincerely believe that the only reason it was cut is so they could rerelease a director's cut, not only with extra footage, but an additional fight scene, which is a huge addition to a martial arts film. AN entirely new fight scene is a huge selling point, and probably one of the best motivators possible to get people to buy the new DVD. I didn't buy the first one luckily, but I don't think that I want to pay for this one either. Though I would love to see it the way it was supposed to be, I think that the tactics involved with the marketting were incredibly greedy and malicious. It's one thing when a film is cut to make it more marketable as a theatrical release, and that still makes me furious, but there is no way that removing the Thai fight made this more marketable in any way, other than setting the DVD up for a brutal double dip.

There is usually only 5-10 fights in most modern martial arts movies, sometimes even less (Who Am I, for example, has only 3 that I can think of), so removing one is cutting 10-20% of the action out of the movie. I would love to see this cut, but I don't know that I would pay for it, because there is no doubt in my mind that the editing and releasing of this film in America was specifically designed to cheat people out of their money.

Last edited by Abserd360; 04-25-08 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 01:51 PM

I have the director's cut import from HK (R3) and have seen this movie in the theater. The additional footage is an important part of the film and, imho, adds tremendously to the enjoyment. Definitely superior to the Theatrical version for me.

My only quibble is the there is a 5 minute prologue/epilogue with Michelle Yeoh that takes place in modern times, kind of a 'book end' to the movie that is really nothing more than her convincing people how important the art of Wu Shu is. No, she doesn't fight - just talk.. This IS a movie about the true value of Wu Shu, and Jet Li is passionate about it, so I can understand it - just didn't think those few moments added to the quality of the film experience. But the other 35 minutes? Well, I have no plans on getting the theatrical version.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Steve.
Old 04-25-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm getting this one...

i avoided the 1st region one because of the poor subtitle problem...

is there any word on improved subtitles, or even ported over from the superior Hong Kong release subtitles?...

i'll get this release either way but i am interested in any news on the whole subtitles thing...