Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spider-Man 60's cartoon series

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
I loved the Spider Man cartoon from the 60's. It really captured the spirit (in a simplified form) of the Steve Ditko era of the Amazing Spider Man comics. Well, the first season did. The 2nd and 3rd seasons were pretty....weird. Ralph Bakshi pretty much ruined the series. How they let him do that I'll never know.

But the first season was just a lot of fun. Great stuff.
Completely agreed. I used to love this show when I was about 7 or 8. Bought the DVD set when it came out, and much to my delight it held up enormously well (and I'm in my 40's now). The first season episodes are still incredibly fun to watch. The background music is fantastic, and this series features the definitive voice for Spidey (IMO). The first season is infinitely rewatchable for me -- 30+ years later. I also share your disappointment with the later seasons. But the first season episodes are enough to make this set one of my personal favorites in my entire dvd collection.
Old 04-22-08, 10:37 AM

I like how Spider-Man would spend 5 minutes of the show swinging around trying to get to wherever he needed to get to.
Old 04-22-08, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by darthdelegate
I like how Spider-Man would spend 5 minutes of the show swinging around trying to get to wherever he needed to get to.
Yes, that's part of the post-season one problem. Apparently it was due to budget cuts, they had to reuse a lot of animation in each episode.

One of the later episodes had him literally crossing the street... cut to 5 minutes of swinging past various things... now he's across the street! Hilarious.

The first season is worth the price of admission, though.

What also amazes me about it is that Spider-Man was still a brand new character then. Most "new" comic characters didn't get their own show right away like that.
Old 04-22-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gorgo99
Yes, that's part of the post-season one problem. Apparently it was due to budget cuts, they had to reuse a lot of animation in each episode.

One of the later episodes had him literally crossing the street... cut to 5 minutes of swinging past various things... now he's across the street! Hilarious.
This makes for fun drunken (or other influenced) gatherings. The Bakshi episodes were so 'far-out' and bizarre that it's a blast watching them and laughing and pointing out the drug-crazed feel. There is one ep that actually shows what looks like Spidey taking two tabs of acid and then swinging for 5 minutes through insane colors and backdrops until he comes upon some sort of Satan-figure in an alternate reality. He snaps out of his trip by the end of the show and returns to reality (his apartment) and seems happy that it's all over.
Old 04-23-08, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by gorgo99
One of my favorite aspects is the fact that no matter what time of day they have him on the street, there's never any traffic and not a single pedestrian to be found. It's like every episode takes place during a mass evacuation of New York City.

And then there's the Daily Bugle, run by just JJJ, Betty, and Peter. Talk about budget cuts!
Old 04-23-08, 04:59 AM
Banned

I always thought the Baski ones were done in the early 60's like those Marvel Superheros, since it looked so cheap.
Old 04-23-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
All the cartoons were mid to late 60s. In the early 60s the characters were just getting started.
Old 04-23-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
For the record, Marvel Superheroes ran in 66 and Spider-Man ran from 67-70