DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Anyone own every Oscar Best Picture winner? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/529347-anyone-own-every-oscar-best-picture-winner.html)

Trevor 04-11-08 02:39 PM

Anyone own every Oscar Best Picture winner?

Been inputting more of my collection into DVDSpot lately, and noticed that I have more Oscar winners than I thought.

The film buff, but mainly OCD hoarder, in me thought that it might be fun to try to collect every winner.

I thought we had a thread on this before but I couldn't find it.

canaryfarmer 04-11-08 02:49 PM

After looking at the list, I discovered that I own 3 of them. SWEET. :banana:

shyguy1083 04-11-08 02:51 PM

i have nowhere near all of them... probably only about 10. and i couldn't bring myself to own some (crash, for example) so it'll probably never happen

Sondheim 04-11-08 03:02 PM

It used to be one of my goals to own every Best Picture winner... But nowadays I don't really care one way or the other. I actually like a vast majority of the Best Picture winners that I've seen (I've seen all but ten of them) and wouldn't mind owning most of them. As it is, I own 48 of them.

Trevor 04-11-08 03:02 PM

Quick count shows that I have approximately 48. Most of the 32 or so missing are from the first 30 years of the award.

I remember reading a year or two ago that one of the early winners still wasn't out on DVD, but I imagine that has been rectified by now.

Zen Peckinpah 04-11-08 03:03 PM

I own 16:

The French Connection
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Rocky
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter (HD DVD)
Platoon
Rain Man
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven (HD DVD)
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
American Beauty
The Departed (Blu-ray)
No Country for Old Men (Blu-ray)

Trevor 04-11-08 03:13 PM

Two are not out on region 1 DVD. Wings and Cavalcade.

rfduncan 04-11-08 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Two are not out on region 1 DVD. Wings and Cavalcade.

Yeah, I was gonna say that there were at least 2 that weren't available on Region 1 DVD....

BambooLounge 04-11-08 03:20 PM

I only own 33 with the most glaring absence being Gone With the Wind (still have yet to watch this movie).

Trevor 04-11-08 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Yeah, I was gonna say that there were at least 2 that weren't available on Region 1 DVD....

I almost just bought other region versions on ebay for like $8 each with shipping, but decided to wait.

Wings is on TCM next month, I'll just DVR and then burn it to DVD myself. Haven't searched for Cavalcade yet, but I imagine it might be on TV soon as well.

I'll think I'll start working on buying my missing ones, and then start at the beginning and do a month or two long marathon of all the winners in order.

domino harvey 04-11-08 03:29 PM

Not on purpose

The Bus 04-11-08 03:53 PM

Way too many crappy movies on that list.

Groucho 04-11-08 04:04 PM

Not only do I own every Best Picture winner, but that's ALL I have in my collection. Only the best for my DVD cellar!

PatrickMcCart 04-11-08 04:13 PM

29 films.

Movies, followed by my rating for the film and DVD

1927-1928: Sunrise (Fox limited edition) - A+
1930: All Quiet on the Western Front (Cinema Classics) - A+
1932: Grand Hotel - C
1934: It Happened One Night - A+
1935: Mutiny on the Bounty - A-
1939: Gone with the Wind (4-disc) - A+
1943: Casablanca (SE) - A+
1950: All About Eve (Studio Classics 1-disc) - A
1952: The Greatest Show on Earth - ? (just got it, haven't watched yet)
1956: Around the World in 80 Days - B+
1957: The Bridge on the River Kwai - A
1959: Ben-Hur (4-disc) - A
1961: West Side Story (2-disc box) - A
1962: Lawrence of Arabia (2-disc LE and Superbit) - A+++
1964: My Fair Lady (2-disc) - A-
1966: A Man for All Seasons (first edition, WS only) - A+
1970: Patton (first 2-disc edition) - A-
1972: The Godfather (part of box) - A+
1974: The Godfather Part II (part of box) - A
1975: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (2-disc SE) - B-
1976: Rocky (first edition) - A
1978: The Deer Hunter (Legacy Series) - A
1984: Amadeus (theatrical and director's cut) - A+/A
1990: Dances with Wolves (2-disc extended) - A
1992: Unforgiven (first edition) - ? (from late father's collection)
2000: Gladiator (2-disc) - ? (from late father's collection)
2001: A Beautiful Mind (2-disc) - D
2003: The Return of the King (both theatrical and 4-disc) - A
2006: The Departed (2-disc steelbook) - A

Yakuza Bengoshi 04-11-08 04:15 PM

Owning every Oscar Best Picture winner is about as worthy a goal as owning every Criterion Collection release. It may satisfy one's desire to collect for collecting sake, but it doesn't make for a very <i>authentic</i> collection.

kstublen 04-11-08 04:17 PM

I don't own very many...

-Rocky (1976)
-Rain Man (1988)
-Forrest Gump (1994)
-The Departed (2006)
-No Country For Old Men (2007)

In time I'll own Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind, just waiting to find the right release for the right price.

Spiral Staircase 04-11-08 04:33 PM

I own 61, if I include Sunrise. That leaves 20 winners. I am waiting for special editions/upgrades for a few of the titles like Gigi, An American in Paris, and Tom Jones. I do not see any need to add Kramer v. Kramer, Crash, Shakespeare in Love, Cimarron, and Driving Miss Daisy to my collection even if I purchase the other 15 at some point in the future.

Trevor 04-11-08 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Owning every Oscar Best Picture winner is about as worthy a goal as owning every Criterion Collection release. It may satisfy one's desire to collect for collecting sake, but it doesn't make for a very <i>authentic</i> collection.

I agree that I am a collector above anything else, and that films aren't worthy of any special attention just because of some arbitrary award.

But how do you define authentic?

If we're talking of a collection in terms of film quality or history of the art, then no, it wouldn't necessarily be authentic.

But since I, and many people here I imagine, are collector's equal to or even more so than film lovers, then any collection to us would be authentic, no?

Trevor 04-11-08 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by starecase
I own 61, if I include Sunrise. That leaves 20 winners. I am waiting for special editions/upgrades for a few of the titles like Gigi, An American in Paris, and Tom Jones. I do not see any need to add Kramer v. Kramer, Crash, Shakespeare in Love, Cimarron, and Driving Miss Daisy to my collection even if I purchase the other 15 at some point in the future.

If you end up with all the others, I'll buy those missing 5 for you.

I really will, but since finances can change drastically, I'll have to point out that forum posts are not binding in any court of law.

Sex Fiend 04-11-08 04:44 PM

Okay, I guess I'm the champion OCD freak here, because not only do I own every Best Picture winner currently available in R1, but I've also made a project of collecting every single Best Picture nominated film that has been released so far. And I've nearly succeeded, being only about ten or so short of the mark of those nominees available in R1.

Of course, there are also another thirty or so BP nominees that have yet to receive a DVD release, and at least one that probably never will as the film is considered to be lost (The Patriot from 1928).

Spiral Staircase 04-11-08 04:53 PM

If you end up with all the others, I'll buy those missing 5 for you.

I really will, but since finances can change drastically, I'll have to point out that forum posts are not binding in any court of law.

That's a very generous offer. I got a kick out of the fine print.

NoirFan 04-11-08 04:56 PM

35, plus Wings on VHS.

Mondo Kane 04-11-08 05:02 PM

Own 13

Been wanting to add Midnight Cowboy and Braveheart for quite some time now.

Yakuza Bengoshi 04-11-08 05:20 PM

But how do you define authentic?

A collection is authentic if it represents the owner's tastes. It is inauthentic if it represents somebody else's tastes.

Trevor 04-11-08 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
A collection is authentic if it represents the owner's tastes. It is inauthentic if it represents somebody else's tastes.

Not to belabor this point, but is taste the only parameter?

When defining a collection, shouldn't collectors be part of our framework?

Using your definition above, all collector's collections could be argued to be either authentic or inauthentic.