Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone own every Oscar Best Picture winner?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone own every Oscar Best Picture winner?

Old 04-11-08, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own 30/81

A few I didn't like and most of the others I haven't seen. Maybe one day when I own everything I want...
Old 04-11-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not to belabor this point, but is taste the only parameter?
Yes, for authenticity the only question, for me, is whether the collection matches the tastes of the person who owns the collection.

When defining a collection, shouldn't collectors be part of our framework?
I don't know what this framework of ours you refer to is, but for the authenticity standard I'm espousing, the collector's tastes are the sole measure.

Using your definition above, all collector's collections could be argued to be either authentic or inauthentic.
We're all free to argue whatever we like. However, since this standard I'm espousing is a purely subjective one we're unlikely to come to any objectively conclusive results. That doesn't undermine the validity of the standard though.
Old 04-11-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to belabor this point, but is taste the only parameter?

When defining a collection, shouldn't collectors be part of our framework?

Using your definition above, all collector's collections could be argued to be either authentic or inauthentic.
I have to agree with Yakuza Bengoshi; there's something artificial about purchasing movies that one has no genuine interest in watching merely to impress others. Some of the Best Picture nominees simply don't stand up over time--does anyone really enjoy watching Cimarron or Cavalcade? Or (shudder) Out of Africa? Why spend the money on a film if it does not give you pleasure?

Ditto for buying Criterions; no amount of broken font C's plastered over the case will persuade me to buy Armageddon or Salo.

Last edited by Gobear; 04-11-08 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course, to argue the other side one could quote dear Oscar: "The first duty in life is to assume a pose; the second duty, no one has yet found out."
Old 04-11-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Gobear
Of course, to argue the other side one could quote dear Oscar: "The first duty in life is to assume a pose; the second duty, no one has yet found out."
If we're feeling charitably inclined to Mr. Wilde we can interpret his statement as grounded in authenticity rather than deception. For example, Gandhi certainly assumed a pose, but he was also an authentic humanitarian. However, I'm out of my depths discussing Mr. Wilde so I leave it to you to decide whether there's any merit in this line of reasoning as it applies to his statement.
Old 04-11-08, 06:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts
I have to agree with Yakuza Bengoshi; there's something artificial about purchasing movies that one has no genuine interest in watching merely to impress others.
I agree. I certainly don't care what others think of my collection. I'm as proud of my Pee Wee movies as my Kurosawa (random examples at first thought, but I own tons of "bad" movies.

Some of the Best Picture nominees simply don't stand up over time--does anyone really enjoy watching Cimarron or Cavalcade? Or (shudder) Out of Africa?
I haven't seen either of those, but I'm sure that each has many people calling it "the best movie ever".

Why spend the money on a film if it does not give you pleasure?
I know I never would. But speaking for collector's, there are many more reasons for buying a film than the pleasure of watching it. I get pleasure from every purchase I've ever made, and most of them are unwatched.

So that's sort of my main point I guess. Is something only authentic if it is watched for it's "art's" sake?

I think that someone that collects DVDs solely based on the studio, the grip, the main star's birthplace, or any other random silly reason is just as authentic or fulfilled or whatever than anyone.

Obviously, I'm partly just playing the devil's advocate.

But even though I watch few of them, my collection of say, exclusive bonus discs, is just as valid, pleasurable (to me), and authentic than anyone's collection.

Ditto for buying Criterions; no amount of broken font C's plastered over the case will persuade me to buy Armageddon or Salo.
Old 04-11-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Surprisingly, I own 20. There's 6 or 7 more I'd like to pick up but haven't gotten around to yet. The rest, I have no interest in.

My Winners:

Ben-Hur
No Country For Old Men
The Departed
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Chicago
Gladiator
Titanic
Braveheart
Forrest Gump
Schindler's List
Unforgiven
Silence of the Lambs
Dances With Wolves
Platoon
The Godfather Pt. 2
The Sting
The Godfather
Lawrence of Arabia
West Side Story
Gone with the Wind
Old 04-11-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I get pleasure from every purchase I've ever made, and most of them are unwatched.
You're a remarkable person. Most people, I think, come to regret at least one purchase.

Is something only authentic if it is watched for it's "art's" sake?
You still seem to be confused. It's solely about individual taste:

Do your possessions match your taste? If so, those possessions are authentic. If you personally do not aesthetically enjoy your possessions, but you buy them and maintain them to impress somebody else then those possessions are inauthentic. If you love splatter films and hate art films, then owning Texas Chainsaw Massacre is authentic, but owning The Trial of Joan of Arc is inauthentic for you.

I think that someone that collects DVDs solely based on the studio, the grip, the main star's birthplace, or any other random silly reason is just as authentic or fulfilled or whatever than anyone.
You're free to think whatever you like, and to assign whatever labels work for you. For me though, those reasons sound like collecting for collecting sake. That's not my thing and it's not authentic as I've defined the term, but to each his own.
Old 04-11-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen either of those, but I'm sure that each has many people calling it "the best movie ever".
No. That might be true with Rocky and Around the World in 80 Days, but Cimarron -- or worse, The Greatest Show on Earth -- are so bad that I doubt anyone thinks they're even mediocre.
Old 04-11-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Okay, I guess I'm the champion OCD freak here, because not only do I own every Best Picture winner currently available in R1, but I've also made a project of collecting every single Best Picture nominated film that has been released so far. And I've nearly succeeded, being only about ten or so short of the mark of those nominees available in R1.

Of course, there are also another thirty or so BP nominees that have yet to receive a DVD release, and at least one that probably never will as the film is considered to be lost (The Patriot from 1928).
Add me to this list... I do the same thing that Fiend does and am about 15 short of all of the released films. I also am only 4 short of the Criterion Collection. I must have a very inauthentic collection...

To make matters worse, I am shooting for all movies nominated for Actor/Actress/Sup. and Lead, Director, Cinematography. I have huge chunks out of each of these as well. I collect from several other lists as well. I love movies, what can I say?
Old 04-11-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
You're a remarkable person. Most people, I think, come to regret at least one purchase.

You still seem to be confused. It's solely about individual taste:

Do your possessions match your taste? If so, those possessions are authentic. If you personally do not aesthetically enjoy your possessions, but you buy them and maintain them to impress somebody else then those possessions are inauthentic. If you love splatter films and hate art films, then owning Texas Chainsaw Massacre is authentic, but owning The Trial of Joan of Arc is inauthentic for you.

You're free to think whatever you like, and to assign whatever labels work for you. For me though, those reasons sound like collecting for collecting sake. That's not my thing and it's not authentic as I've defined the term, but to each his own.
Eh, mind your own business. I hate people telling other people what they should or shouldn't enjoy...
Old 04-11-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Kerborus
Eh, mind your own business. I hate people telling other people what they should or shouldn't enjoy...
Unless that's a joke, you're a bit confused too. My comments related only to buying what you don't aesthetically enjoy, to either impress others or to satisfy some consumer compulsion. However, even if you choose to collect what you don't enjoy watching, as I said in the bit you quoted, to each is own.
Old 04-11-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kerborus
To make matters worse, I am shooting for all movies nominated for Actor/Actress/Sup. and Lead, Director, Cinematography. I have huge chunks out of each of these as well. I collect from several other lists as well. I love movies, what can I say?
Well you certainly have me outdone there, Kerborus. I have contemplated trying to accumulate every Best Actor/Actress winning film, because there is a considerable overlap with the BP nominees, meaning only a few more purchases. But every nominee in the other Academy categories is just too daunting a task for me, so I guess even my compulsive collecting has its limits.

In any case, my feeling is that there is nothing particularly wrong for a film lover to accumulate a list of award nominated films, since that really is as good a criterion for making blind buys as any when you think about it. And since I assume many (if not all) DVD collectors have a predilection to blind buying to some extent, how is this approach to creating a collection any less legitimate than any other?

Now on the other hand, if the thesis is that one should only purchase films that one has already seen and liked, then I suppose you might have a legitimate (albeit subjective) criticism of such a collection. Otherwise, any kind of blind purchase method of film collecting is no more or less arbitrary than going by a list of Oscar nominated films, Criterion releases, or any other particular objective categorization.
Old 04-11-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
any kind of blind purchase method of film collecting is no more or less arbitrary than going by a list of Oscar nominated films, Criterion releases, or any other particular objective categorization.
I disagree. I make blind buys, but at minimum, the subject matter has to be interesting to me, and either (1) I know I like the director's work, or (2) I've read positive reviews from trusted sources. Buying because of what the Criterion Collection or the Academy thinks may satisfy the "trusted source" prong but it says nothing about subject matter or director. Accordingly, I find my approach a bit less arbitrary.
Old 04-11-08, 10:00 PM

No Country for Old Men (2007)
The Departed (2006)
Crash (2005)
LOTR:ROTK (2003)
Gladiator (2000)
Titanic (1997)
Braveheart (1995)
Dances with Wolves (1990)
Old 04-11-08, 10:59 PM
Mao

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll at least come here to break up the noise and stand proudly with Sex Fiend and Kerborus.

I, too, own all the best picture winners and eagerly await both "Wings" and "Cavalcade" on DVD.

As for the argument...you can't argue taste. Why do people even try?

Do your own thing and enjoy it~
Old 04-11-08, 11:26 PM

I bit the bullet and just CH'd about 30 more Oscar winners. They didn't have about 10, so I'll be short about 12 once the orders come in.

Of course, my OCD will make me watch them in order, so I won't be able to start my marathon until Wings comes on TCM in 6 weeks.
Old 04-12-08, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mao
As for the argument...you can't argue taste. Why do people even try?

Do your own thing and enjoy it~
I agree. I'm with Yakuza Bengoshi on just owning movies you enjoy, but that's just an opinion. The joy of collecting isn't just watching movies you like, but also knowing that you completely own a particular group of movies (that took time and money to get), and knowing you can watch one whenever you feel like it. I think anyone here would get at least some pleasure out of that. Collecting dvds are not my thing, but I can understand what people that do are coming from. It's no different than collecting anything else (except the value of dvds don't usually go up).

I own about 20 Oscar Best Picture winners both on dvd and vhs. The reason I don't own more is that I can rent most of them at the library for free. So my collection is lacking some of my favorite movies, but I get my enjoyment out of watching movies, not owning them.
Old 04-12-08, 01:16 AM

In reverse chronological order:

Annie Hall
Godfather I + II
the Apartment
All About Eve
Gentlemen's Agreement (unfortunately, it came in the Best Pic box)
How Green Was My Valley
Rebecca
It Happened One Night
Sunrise
Old 04-12-08, 01:58 AM

Just 11:

Casablanca
Patton
Rocky
Chariots of Fire
Dances with Wolves
Silence of the Lambs
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
Titanic
Gladiator
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Old 04-12-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't understand why "Crash" gets so much hate on this board. Yeah, it's not perfect, and hell no it's not the Best Picture of that year or any year, but it was a good, enjoyable film. And I'm as disgusted as anyone by how it became sort of a "movement" of sorts, that magically awakened thousands of people to race relations, and caused these same people to declare that the film was revolutionary. It wasn't revolutionary and wasn't the Best Picture, but it was a good film nonetheless, and the 2-disc edition is definitely worth the $6 I paid for it.
Old 04-12-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have 61. I'm not sure how many AFI Top 100 I have but I would wager same percentage or higher. Does anyone have all the BP winners separated on an individual shelf? If so, take a picture of them in a row.
Old 04-12-08, 11:06 AM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
A collection is authentic if it represents the owner's tastes. It is inauthentic if it represents somebody else's tastes.
I agree, to a point. My collection represents a subset of my tastes. Prior to Netflix, I concentrated on buying films that weren't readily available at a typical video store. Given the choice of buying The Passion of Joan of Arc or Die Hard, I'd buy the former since I could much more easily rent the latter. Now I concentrate on buying those not available from Netflix (i.e., non-R1 releases.)
Old 04-12-08, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Does anyone have all the BP winners separated on an individual shelf? If so, take a picture of them in a row.
I plan to do this once my recent orders arrive and I have most of them.
Old 04-12-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the following Best Picture winners in my collection:

2006 The Departed
2005 Crash
2004 Million Dollar Baby
2003 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 Chicago
2001 A Beautiful Mind
2000 Gladiator
1999 American Beauty
1997 Titanic
1995 Braveheart
1993 Schindler's List
1992 Unforgiven
1991 The Silence of the Lambs
1990 Dances with Wolves
1988 Rain Man
1986 Platoon
1984 Amadeus
1976 Rocky
1975 One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
1974 The Godfather Part II
1972 The Godfather
1971 The French Connection
1970 Patton
1962 Lawrence of Arabia
1957 The Bridge on the River Kwai
1950 All About Eve
1942 Casablanca
1939 Gone with the Wind

That makes 28 out of 80.

For those of you who said 81, are you counting Sunrise?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.