Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Birds of Prey: Complete Series *6-29*

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Birds of Prey: Complete Series *6-29*

Old 07-10-08, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I inserted the disc into my DVD-ROM and played the episode using PowerDVD and, yeah, that unaired pilot is anamorphic widescreen... Why in the world would they do this?
That's hilarious.
Old 07-15-08, 06:54 PM

So no one even mentions that the signature (to me, anyway) theme song has been replaced with another song for this DVD release? I noticed the 'music replaced' small print on the back but still picked it up today anyway..
Old 07-15-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I picked this up today for $24.99 with a $5 RZ coupon at Best Buy. I watched maybe 3-4 episodes when this originally aired back in 2002 and then lost track of it. I'm glad it came out on DVD at a really affordable price despite the music changes. It's going to be a nice add to my Batman related DVD's.

BTW, anyone notice how gorgeous Dina Meyer is in this series? She's one stunningly beautiful red-head.
Old 07-16-08, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm happy it's on DVD, but I'm horrified that "Revolution" is gone from the opening credits.
Old 07-16-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Oh lord, the theme is gone? What about "All the things she said" in the final episode?
Old 07-16-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Oh lord, the theme is gone? What about "All the things she said" in the final episode?
I may be wrong, but I don't remember hearing it...
Old 07-16-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I picked this up today for $24.99 with a $5 RZ coupon at Best Buy. I watched maybe 3-4 episodes when this originally aired back in 2002 and then lost track of it. I'm glad it came out on DVD at a really affordable price despite the music changes. It's going to be a nice add to my Batman related DVD's.

BTW, anyone notice how gorgeous Dina Meyer is in this series? She's one stunningly beautiful red-head.

YES! Certainly one of the highlights to the show.

Picked mine up for about the same price, and haven't had time to check it out yet. Even though I haven't heard it yet, for that affordable price, I consider the music changes only a slight annoyance. I'd rather have that than not have the set on DVD at all (much like Roswell).

I still have the whole show taped from when it originally aired, anyway - so at least I've got that as a comparison.
Old 07-16-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DAMNIT! T.a.t.u. is gone from the final fight. Unbelievable that the bootleg set i used to have is better than what WB has put out. Well Witchblade is next, maybe WB can go 3 for 3 on screwed up releases this month.
Old 07-16-08, 05:28 PM

DAMNIT! T.a.t.u. is gone from the final fight. Unbelievable that the bootleg set i used to have is better than what WB has put out. Well Witchblade is next, maybe WB can go 3 for 3 on screwed up releases this month.

Yes! This was extremely upsetting! That was the best part of the show! When that music came on and every crashed in to help! The new song blows by the way!!!!!!!!! Theme song is okay, but Argh! I guess I will be holding on to my bootleg...
Old 07-16-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, and this super pisses me off:

They cut Revolution out, but for Three Birds and a Baby, they use the friggin Alien³ score for the scene where Barbara and Dinah are captured by the bad guys? Unbelievable.
Old 07-29-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
What disc has the Gotham Girls shorts? I just want to rent that from Netflix.
Old 07-29-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
What disc has the Gotham Girls shorts? I just want to rent that from Netflix.
They're spread out over the first three discs.
Old 07-29-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Thanks. I guess I have to rent them all.
Old 07-30-08, 03:36 AM

Ugh, if it doesn't have Revolution, they lost my sale.
Old 07-30-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having just gotten through the entire series on DVD, I can say the music changes weren't all that bad. Quite a bit stayed the same, and what didn't wasn't that noticeable to me. In a show like this, I found that what music they used didn't really matter all that much - so it doesn't really bother me.

In all honesty, I never really cared all that much for Amiee Allen's "Revolution", anyway. The new song, while not necessarily great either, fits the theme of the show, and works well with the credits.
Old 08-29-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read the review over at tvshowsondvd.com. In response to the letterbox, the reviewer says:

"I spoke to Warner Bros about this and they assured me they looked high and low and used the best prints they could find...It's too bad anamorphic masters couldn't be located..."

Seriously? Cant they just encode it anamorphic?
Old 08-06-12, 06:12 AM

Re: Birds of Prey: Complete Series *6-29*

I just picked this up at Walmart for just under $10.

I was a bit worried because of the back all it says is "Standard Version: Presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of it's original television exhibition."

So I though Full Screen 4:3.

Then I pop it into my player and it's widescreen. So I tried all the settings on my player and TV and nothing changed. Then I looked it up and it should be in 16:9 ratio, but here it's non-anamorphic.

What in the world? This should have been released in anamorphic widescreen and not this mess. What was WB thinking.

Am I disappointed in it? Yes. But I guess I can live with it.

So I never saw this show when it was on, so this was a complete blind buy for me. So far I watched episode 1 and it looks fairly good.
Old 08-06-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
I just picked this up at Walmart for just under $10.

I was a bit worried because of the back all it says is "Standard Version: Presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of it's original television exhibition."

So I though Full Screen 4:3.

Then I pop it into my player and it's widescreen. So I tried all the settings on my player and TV and nothing changed. Then I looked it up and it should be in 16:9 ratio, but here it's non-anamorphic.

What in the world? This should have been released in anamorphic widescreen and not this mess. What was WB thinking.

Am I disappointed in it? Yes. But I guess I can live with it.

So I never saw this show when it was on, so this was a complete blind buy for me. So far I watched episode 1 and it looks fairly good.
This DVD was released during the time when DVDs were still often getting letterboxed, non-anamorphic treatment. Remember those days?
Old 08-06-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
This DVD was released during the time when DVDs were still often getting letterboxed, non-anamorphic treatment. Remember those days?
Yeah but 2 weeks later they released Witchblade in anamorphic.
Old 08-06-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah but 2 weeks later they released Witchblade in anamorphic.
I don't remember certain studios being better at releasing anamorphic versions versus other studios. Wasn't it just random when they would do that? If it wasn't a brand, new movie, I remember thinking everytime a catalog widescreen dvd would come out, "I hope they release it in anamorphic."
Old 08-06-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Everything should've been anamorphic by 2008. Most fears about anamorphic down conversion artifacts were allayed by 2000 or so, and major studio releases in non-anamorphic had pretty much disappeared by 2001.
Old 08-07-12, 07:27 AM

Warner Bros. was weird about releasing TV on DVD though. They released a few that should have been 1.78:1 as 1.33:1. Not letterboxed, but full screen. So I suppose we should be lucky they didn't crop it. And technically, since I didn't have a widescreen TV back then, Birds of Prey is presented how I watched it.
Old 08-07-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Warner Bros. was weird about releasing TV on DVD though. They released a few that should have been 1.78:1 as 1.33:1. Not letterboxed, but full screen. So I suppose we should be lucky they didn't crop it. And technically, since I didn't have a widescreen TV back then, Birds of Prey is presented how I watched it.
Also, back when this was released it was very VERY unusual for Warner Brothers to release a DVD of a single-season TV series - especially a catalog release like this was. Personally I think they slapped whatever masters they had on disc so people would stop complaining about it (I remember a lot of Batman fanboys bugging them for YEARS to release the set). Also you can tell they took no effort with the release as the only special features on the disc were again just laying around.
Old 08-07-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Also, back when this was released it was very VERY unusual for Warner Brothers to release a DVD of a single-season TV series - especially a catalog release like this was. Personally I think they slapped whatever masters they had on disc so people would stop complaining about it (I remember a lot of Batman fanboys bugging them for YEARS to release the set). Also you can tell they took no effort with the release as the only special features on the disc were again just laying around.
It was the trifecta of releases people had been begging for. This, Witchblade, and Fastlane, all released around the same time. BOP got the shitty transfer, and Fastlane got all the music replaced.

As I posted in #66 word is they could not locate an anamorphic transfer for BOP.
Old 08-07-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was the trifecta of releases people had been begging for. This, Witchblade, and Fastlane, all released around the same time. BOP got the shitty transfer, and Fastlane got all the music replaced.

As I posted in #66 word is they could not locate an anamorphic transfer for BOP.
I had no idea that "Fastlane" had all the music replaced, I only found out about the show about a year or two ago when I saw it for $5 at a local pawn shop. Really enjoyed the show, but I bet the original music was kick ass!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.