Reload this Page >

Indy & Last Crusade - Edit?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Indy & Last Crusade - Edit?

Old 03-28-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indy & Last Crusade - Edited?

I'm sure this isn't news to some people, but I was organizing my DVDAficionado and saw that it lists Last Crusade as edited. I searched the web and here and couldn't find anything or couldn't wade through all the mess. So is it true and if so, what is edited?

Last edited by jrsl76; 03-28-08 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-28-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Nazis all have walkie-talkies now!
Old 03-28-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The line "...donated by the finest.....families in Germany" was originally "...donated by the finest Jewish families in Germany."
Old 03-28-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
That was the line in the original movie and they changed it for DVD?
Old 03-28-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. Not too bad a change. Stupid, but it doesn't effect much.
Old 03-28-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
They also redubbed the butler's line at the castle.

Theatrically he said "If you're a Scottish Lord then I am Jesse Owens."

For home video Jesse Owens was replaced with Mickey Mouse.

I also seem to recall someone saying that in the theatrical release the zepplin was refered to as the Hindenburg.
Old 03-28-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That was the line in the original movie and they changed it for DVD?
No they changed it well back in the VHS/Laserdisc days.
Old 03-28-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought the butlers line was only dubbed mickey mouse outside of the usa. I haven't watched my dvds in a while.
Old 03-28-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
i thought the butlers line was only dubbed mickey mouse outside of the usa. I haven't watched my dvds in a while.
He says "Mickey Mouse". He's looking away from the camera but you can see the side of his face and, if you look close, you can tell it's dubbed.

I just checked my disc, bought at Best Buy in the good 'ol USA.
Old 03-28-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These line changes seem to come up from time to time. Typically some people remember it some ways while others remember it other ways, or maybe they read it another way in a comic or novelization. I don't believe there's been any definitive proof supporting either case.

Personally, however, I think it's BS. If lines were changed, it'd be a much bigger deal and more people would care than those that do now.
Old 03-29-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Rizor
These line changes seem to come up from time to time. Typically some people remember it some ways while others remember it other ways, or maybe they read it another way in a comic or novelization. I don't believe there's been any definitive proof supporting either case.

Personally, however, I think it's BS. If lines were changed, it'd be a much bigger deal and more people would care than those that do now.
I have the novelization based off the original script and the "Jewish families" line is not present, it's merely "finest families," however the line from the butler is Jesse Owens.

To my knowledge the novelization was released alongside the film if not slightly before.
Old 03-29-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMDb's alternate version section also used to list the following edits for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Not sure how accurate they were though and if that is why they no longer list them.

- The original 1981 version of the movie contained a few additional seconds during the Raven Bar fight. In this footage Pat Roach's character shoves Indiana Jones against several walls while one of the Nazi henchman laughs. This footage was deleted in all re-release prints and video releases.

- In the cinema release of Raiders immediately AFTER the credits there was a cutaway to the boxed Ark of the Covenant in the US Govt warehouse and the U.S. Govt brand on the box is gradually being burnt away by the Ark. This scene is missing from the DVD release of the film.
Old 03-29-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by abintra
IMDb's alternate version section also used to list the following edits for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Not sure how accurate they were though and if that is why they no longer list them.

- The original 1981 version of the movie contained a few additional seconds during the Raven Bar fight. In this footage Pat Roach's character shoves Indiana Jones against several walls while one of the Nazi henchman laughs. This footage was deleted in all re-release prints and video releases.

- In the cinema release of Raiders immediately AFTER the credits there was a cutaway to the boxed Ark of the Covenant in the US Govt warehouse and the U.S. Govt brand on the box is gradually being burnt away by the Ark. This scene is missing from the DVD release of the film.
Damn. I actually saw Raiders theatrically about two years ago.
Old 03-29-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's cool. I've never heard of that scene.
Old 03-29-08, 03:48 PM
Banned

In the cinema release of Raiders immediately AFTER the credits there was a cutaway to the boxed Ark of the Covenant in the US Govt warehouse and the U.S. Govt brand on the box is gradually being burnt away by the Ark. This scene is missing from the DVD release of the film.
I distictly remember this scene, as the movie was shown (and I viewed it) many times during it's first run on cable (HBO). I wish they'd left it in.
Old 03-29-08, 04:01 PM

Yeah that final scene with the ark in the warehouse is very memorable, I think my mom taped it off HBO when I was a kid so that's how I always saw it-- surprised it's not on the DVDs.
Old 03-29-08, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by KYDR_chris
I distictly remember this scene, as the movie was shown (and I viewed it) many times during it's first run on cable (HBO). I wish they'd left it in.
Wow, I remember this scene when it was first shown at the movie theaters. I really haven't watch it since then, to bad it was cut out.
Old 03-29-08, 09:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The crate burning scene does exist -- but it was never post-credit. The scene occurs on the submarine, and is still on the DVD.
Old 03-29-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
The crate burning scene does exist -- but it was never post-credit. The scene occurs on the submarine, and is still on the DVD.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 03-30-08, 12:47 AM

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,114 Posts
Me, too. I think it happens right after that scene when Cameron watches Sloane undress by the pool...
Old 03-30-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you guys are thinking of the Ark burning off the Nazi eagle. That IS there. He is saying there was a post-credit shot of the Ark burning the American image off the box as it sits in the warehouse. I can see why they cut it.
Old 03-30-08, 09:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I think you guys are thinking of the Ark burning off the Nazi eagle. That IS there. He is saying there was a post-credit shot of the Ark burning the American image off the box as it sits in the warehouse. I can see why they cut it.
What we're saying is that there was no footage at the end, never has been -- just the footage in the submarine.
Old 03-30-08, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
What we're saying is that there was no footage at the end, never has been -- just the footage in the submarine.
Now THAT is entirely probable. I'm guessing the scene I recalled was the one in the submarine.
Old 03-30-08, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by KYDR_chris
Now THAT is entirely probable. I'm guessing the scene I recalled was the one in the submarine.
I remember the burning at the warehouse, not only in the submarine. After the U.S. government has taken custody of the Ark.

I am pretty sure this is not like that Ferris Bueller incident which never existed.
Old 03-30-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
What Ferris Bueller incident?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.