Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I think I've hit movie saturation...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-27-08, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rented a movie from BB on Monday (as an online rental trade-in thing), I watched it that night and returned it the next day and for the life of me I can't remember what it was anymore I remember somewhat liking it but the name escapes me entirely. This has got me thinking that maybe I've reached the saturation point I should slow down/enjoy the movies a bit more (or atleast remember them ). Currently I'm watching 2-3 movies a day, in part it's trying to get through the unwatched pile, but I'm also doing both BB and Netflix. Has this happened to anyone else? How many DVDs do you usually watch on a daily/weekly basis?
Old 03-27-08, 09:15 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2-3 a day - Good Lord. That is dedication. Lately I probably average 1 a week. How many do you watch when you're not trying to get through the unwatched pile?
Old 03-27-08, 09:33 AM

I have absolutely been having this problem. Occasionally, I'll see something that really sticks with me, but I'd almost say that half the movies I catch I barely remember just a week or so later.

When it's strikingly good stuff I remember it all (for a recent example, TWBB)... when it's a complete and absolute mess I remember it (another recent example, Across the Universe)... but when it's mildly amusing, well made, 3/5 star kinda film... it seems to escape me.

I also find that I miss having only a few favorite movies to pick through in my collection, or the thrills of just spending days with a new DVD. Right now I am taking my time with The Mist DVD (it's such a fantastic release, IMHO)... brings back old memories.

Growing up I used to watch a select few movies over and over to the point of memorization and I just don't do that anymore. I've been caught up in trying to see so much that I fear I am not getting anything out of some of the films I watch.

On average I'm trying to just do one movie a night on weeknights... weekends are fair game... sometimes I watch nothing other times I will do as many as I can. Usually, after watching a dozen new films over the weekend I remember zilch. So, I am trying to incorporate old favs and new movies alike. Really, I find that I miss seeing movies I know in and out... but damn it, I want to see new films too.
Old 03-27-08, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by donniemac
2-3 a day - Good Lord. That is dedication. Lately I probably average 1 a week. How many do you watch when you're not trying to get through the unwatched pile?
Still about 2-3 a day. I usually watch 1 in the morning before work (get up early but don't usually have to go to work until 2-3 hours later, that way those days that I do have to get up early it's not as problematic). Then usually 1 or 2 in the evening/late night. The fact that I'm usually working on computer or something while a DVD is playing and I only sleep 5-6 hours a night helps
Old 03-27-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
It depends on the movie - I'm same way with (most) "mainstream Hollywood" productions. But there are some (most recently, "Into the Wild") which jiggered themselves into my psyche and I haven't been able to shake them since.

You just need to branch out and watch some off-kilter stuff - broaden your horizons/pallet.
Old 03-27-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, no way could I watch 3 movies in one day during the week, unless I was off. I barely have time to get 1 watched a day. But most of the time, I do my movie watching on the weekends. Unfortunately, I also have a gigantic pile of unwatched movies, yet I keep buying more. It's madness.
Old 03-27-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1 or 2 a weekend
Old 03-27-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I definately don't have THAT problem! I only have time for 1, maybe 2 a week myself.
Old 03-27-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I try to watch 1 movie, or 1-2 hours of a TV show on DVD. On my day off I can usually finish more, but sadly I don't have as much time as I used to anymore...
Old 03-27-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched some really good martial arts movie that had a great plot and great action. As I was watching it I thought that there was no way the end could live up to the rest of the movie. It didn't but I still wanted to show it to some other people based on how great it was

Shortly after watching it I forgot what it was about or the name of it. The only thing I can remember was how awesome it was.

Now it's somewhere in a pile of almost 7,000 movies and I think I've narrowed it down to a group of 50 but I could be wrong. The problem is that to find it, I'd have to watch them all since I don't remember anything. As much as I want to find it, I don't want to find it that bad.
Old 03-27-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I generally watch 4-8 films (or TV shows on DVD) a week. I generally don't have a hard time remembering what they're about, though it may help that I now write reviews of more than half of them.
Old 03-27-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I generally watch 3-5 films per week and in no way could imagine the pace of the OP. 2-3/day is way too frenetic.

Film burn out (saturation) hits me every so often. I can usually tell when I begin to lose complete interest in researching, watching or receiving new films in the mail. ... some times it's difficult to tell because I feel the same way after a bad string of films, which thankfully happens very infrequently.

I just unplug and change gears - move over to gaming or get out of the house completely for a week or two to refresh.
Old 03-27-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I try to watch a couple a week, but I think if I were watching as many as you I'd forget about a few as well. Hell, even watching a few a week I sometimes forget about the ones I watch. Most big plot points stick with me, but I suppose unless it's something you really love it's hard to remember it among all the other titles in your brain.
Old 03-27-08, 11:12 AM
X
Administrator

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Still about 2-3 a day. I usually watch 1 in the morning before work (get up early but don't usually have to go to work until 2-3 hours later, that way those days that I do have to get up early it's not as problematic). Then usually 1 or 2 in the evening/late night. The fact that I'm usually working on computer or something while a DVD is playing and I only sleep 5-6 hours a night helps
After hearing all of this I would be more surprised if you could remember anything about any of them.
Old 03-27-08, 11:37 AM

Well I stopped by BB during lunch and found it, I knew once I saw the case I'd remember everything about it. The movie in question was Spiral http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491162/. It wasn't bad, but a tad bit predictable...
Spoiler:
even the "shock" ending (or the double twist it tried to pull off).
It also left too many unanswered questions IMHO. Overall I gave it a 3/5 which is probably why it wasn't too memorable to begin w/.

Last edited by nemein; 03-27-08 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-27-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I usually watch 3-4 a week but when I'm burned out I slow that pace down to 2-3 a month.
Old 03-27-08, 12:44 PM

Nowadays, I've slowed down and I watch 1-2 DVDs a day, and although I am somewhat experiencing the saturation the OP's talking about, it helps a lot that I keep a film log (a "flog" if you will...or not...). I record the title, the director, the year the film was made, the date I watched it, and a rating based on a five-star scale.
Old 03-27-08, 01:02 PM

I'm in college, so I hardly have time to watch movies anymore since I always have a lot of work to do at home. I usually average anywhere between 1-3 during the week and maybe a couple on the weekend, if I'm lucky. But, last week was spring break, and on days like those I watch about 2-3 a day (which I love!). The only ones I have trouble remembering are the ones that aren't as interesting to me, especially if it's the first time I've seen it.
Old 03-27-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by utopianz14
Nowadays, I've slowed down and I watch 1-2 DVDs a day, and although I am somewhat experiencing the saturation the OP's talking about, it helps a lot that I keep a film log (a "flog" if you will...or not...). I record the title, the director, the year the film was made, the date I watched it, and a rating based on a five-star scale.
I do the same thing. Both on the movie forum on this site and in an Excel document - I record the title, director, date viewed, etc.

It makes me feel organized. Or something.

Anyways, I watch about four or five films a week - sometimes more, sometimes less. I do occasionally get burned out and stop watching anything for a few weeks - but then I usually come back "with a vengeance" and watch one or more a day for a little while.
Old 03-27-08, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by utopianz14

I have something similar, it started out as tracking Netflix rentals when everyone was talking about whether or not they have been "throttled"[1], but I forgot to log Spiral after I watched it and then couldn't remember it later DOH! I just track name, rating (rate everything w/ NF) and shipping/return dates though.

[1] Just because they are readily available

Stats for Netflix
4322 rated movies

Total disks 2020
Days/rental 6.57
Disks/mn 20.00
Max 69
Median 5
Mode 4

#mn/this yr 3
#yrs w/ Netflix 8

Stats for BB
Total disks 809
Days/rental 4.39
Disks/mn 23.11
Max 13
Median 4
Mode 4

#mn/this yr 3
#yrs w/ BB 2
Old 03-27-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by me12321
I do the same thing. Both on the movie forum on this site and in an Excel document - I record the title, director, date viewed, etc.

It makes me feel organized. Or something.

Anyways, I watch about four or five films a week - sometimes more, sometimes less. I do occasionally get burned out and stop watching anything for a few weeks - but then I usually come back "with a vengeance" and watch one or more a day for a little while.
Funny, I do exactly the same thing as both of you. Well perhaps not EXACTLY, as I don't keep a record of date viewed, but I do give star ratings. I keep my inventory in Excel, with a running record of the percentage of my collection I have actually viewed - currently just a little under 40% of the 2700 titles I own.

Anyway, I also average around four to five films per week, and probably another half dozen TV episodes on disk. And a lot of times, I do tend to forget what I've watched by just a day or two later, which is a pain if I haven't yet recorded it in my spreadsheet. Then I have to scroll through the inventory and try to recollect what it was.

And I do find I get "movie-watcher's burnout" every once in a while, especially if I watch two or three full length films over the course of two days or so. I find it usually helps to break up consecutive movie watching with some short stuff like TV-on-DVD episodes to cleanse the palate, as it were.
Old 03-27-08, 01:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 131 Likes on 97 Posts
I'll admit that I'm not a "pure" film fan/collector. I have some form of ADD, and am always collecting multiple things at once, and dabbling in multiple hobbies. I'll never be really good at anything thanks to this quirk.

The last 8 or so years, I have concentrated more on DVDs and movies than on any other interest, but I still sometimes go a month or more without watching a single movie.

Hard to give an average, as I'll go a month with none and then do 5 in a day, but I'd say I'm at about 3-5 movies a week when you count theater, DVR, and DVD.
Old 03-27-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Nem, what were the last few movies that did make an impression on you?

Whatever they were, I'm guessing you either saw them in the theater, or not so close to viewings of other movies.
Old 03-27-08, 02:33 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I usually go thru phases. There'll be a time when I try to watch at least 1 movie a day, then it switches to a couple a week, but right now I'm kinda in a TV on DVD kick and me and the wife have been watching 'CSI: Las Vegas'. Believe it or not we'd never watched it when it was on TV, but after I picked up the first season from CH we got hooked, so now I've been using Netflix and am just getting to the end of season 2. We usually average an episode a night.

When I was in "film mode" I used to log the titles I watched and when I watched them in one of those mini day planners, but I've kinda slacked off on that because I really haven't watched too many movies lately.
Old 03-27-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I try to watch 1 movie, or 1-2 hours of a TV show on DVD. On my day off I can usually finish more, but sadly I don't have as much time as I used to anymore...
I'm in the same boat as you DK

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.