DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Popular actor/actress not in your collection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/528138-popular-actor-actress-not-your-collection.html)

PopcornTreeCt 03-26-08 01:21 AM

Popular actor/actress not in your collection?

After 1,641 movies Warren Beatty will finally be entering my collection. I didn't purposefully ignore him it just turned out that way.

What about you guys with big collections? Any popular actors/actresses not in your collection that you're not purposefully avoiding?

MTRodaba2468 03-26-08 01:59 AM

Now that I think of it, Warren Beatty isn't in my collection, either (although I have the Bonnie & Clyde: SE on hold at the FYE I work at, so that will change).

Boba Fett 03-26-08 02:14 AM

I don't have any movies with him either. To be fair, the guy hasn't been in very many movies to begin with.

For me the most famous actor I have zero movies of is John Wayne. It's an intentional choice as I think the guy was a despicable scumbag. I have several times strongly debated breaking the rule though and adding 'Rooster Cogburn.'

Rockmjd23 03-26-08 02:36 AM

No Warren Beatty here either...or Dustin Hoffman!

Also Don Cheadle
Jamie Foxx
Hugh Grant
Ethan Hawke (Gattaca on wish list)
Jude Law (Gattaca on wish list)
Heath Ledger (Will own new Batman eventually)
Matthew McConaughey
David Strathairn
Robin Williams!

Apone 03-26-08 03:11 AM

Rock Hudson (!)
Charlie Chaplin
Johnny Depp
Nicole Kidman
Reese Witherspoon
Angelina Jolie
Ingrid Bergman
Jim Carrey
Robin Williams

DeputyDave 03-26-08 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I don't have any movies with him either. To be fair, the guy hasn't been in very many movies to begin with.

For me the most famous actor I have zero movies of is John Wayne. It's an intentional choice as I think the guy was a despicable scumbag. I have several times strongly debated breaking the rule though and adding 'Rooster Cogburn.'

I don't have Beatty or Wayne either, but not for any personal reasons. They just don't come out in the type of movies I like (although I will be picking up Bonnie and Clyde tomorrow). Just what about John Wayne don't you like? I've never understood not being able to separate an actor or director's personal life from their professional work.

Tigger 03-26-08 08:48 AM

If you're not a Wayne fan, but want to give him a shot, pick up either The Quiet Man or The Searchers. Both excellent and my only Wayne movies since I'm not a big fan either.

Warren Beatty is twice in my collection. Bonnie and Clyde of course, but also try out Splendor in the Grass. Excellent movie with amazing color. Give it a shot.

I don't own movies featuring:

Madonna (Hardly an actress but..)
Peter O'Toole
Colin Farrell
Fred Astaire
Charlie Chaplin
Barbara Stanwyck
Glenn Close
Sylvester Stallone
and almost Meryl Streep (1 - Defending Your Life)

Oakland 03-26-08 08:49 AM

No John Wayne here, either.

Technically no Warren Beatty, but I do own Empire Records, so that gets an asterisk.

OldBoy 03-26-08 10:05 AM

i don't have any Lucille Ball :(

Maxflier 03-26-08 10:12 AM

No Robin Williams or John Wayne here either. Although I don't really have anything against John Wayne.

naitram 03-26-08 10:44 AM

no Julia Roberts!

:banana:

Sean O'Hara 03-26-08 11:01 AM

No Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, George Clooney, Julia Stiles, Chevy Chase, Jamie Fox, Seth Rogan, Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, or Chris Farley.

uncle-frank 03-26-08 11:10 AM

Robin Williams
Julia Roberts
Chris Farley

visitor Q 03-26-08 11:12 AM

I was going to say Steven Seagal but then I just realized I own that POS film, Into the Sun.

There are many "popular" actors that I don't own films of. It would probably be better if the question were how many popular actors do I own the films of ...

Mondo Kane 03-26-08 01:22 PM

Chaplin,Valentino,Fairbanks
Clark Gable
John Wayne
Cary Grant
Joan Crawford
Laurence Olivier
Marilyn Monroe
Fred Astaire
Elizabeth Taylor
Gene Kelly
Audrey Hepburn

wergo 03-26-08 01:27 PM

Does Lea Thompson count as a popular actress? Or Calista Flockhart?

Nah, I'm sure they don't. But they're the only one that comes to mind.

Rammsteinfan 03-26-08 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by naitram
no Julia Roberts!

:banana:

Same here!

:banana: :banana:

Trevor 03-26-08 03:00 PM

Some of you with the large lists must have collections that number only in the dozens....

MartinBlank 03-26-08 03:01 PM

Steven Seagal
Julia Roberts
Warren Beatty
Dennis Quaid
VanDamme
Heath Ledger
Robin Williams
Will Smith
Angelina Jolie
Sylvester Stallone
Richard Gere

Yakuza Bengoshi 03-26-08 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Some of you with the large lists must have collections that number only in the dozens....

. . . or despise Hollywood drivel.

Drexl 03-26-08 03:16 PM

For the most part, I don't have Julia Roberts, but then I saw Closer is in there, so she's out. I have The Searchers, so John Wayne is not missing. That's Entertainment knocks out a lot of the old stars, though I do have some others with some of them.

I don't have any Steve Carell yet, but then again, he hasn't done that many movies. Is Ryan Reynolds popular? I don't have anything with him either.

Rockmjd23 03-26-08 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor

84 dozens. :shrug:

Rammsteinfan 03-26-08 03:31 PM

I only have 45 dozens and glad no Julia Roberts in there... ;)

Trevor 03-26-08 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
. . . or despise Hollywood drivel.

I'll give you that Hollywood has a lot of crap, but no films from Cheadle, Bergman, Depp, Chaplin, Astaire, Grant, Monroe, Kelly, Hepburn?

And even "drivel" like Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, etc have made a few good films.

But then, I'm a mainstream "pop" generalist that probably has at least one film of everyone mentioned in the thread. :)

Groucho 03-26-08 03:47 PM

Michael Caine
Gene Hackman