DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   In Bruges ----> 07-15-08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/528037-bruges-07-15-08-a.html)

Zodiac_Speaking 03-24-08 02:28 PM

In Bruges ----> 07-15-08

"Universal and Focus Features plan to release "In Bruges," staring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes on DVD this July 15th.

Unfortunately, the release date is all that is known at this time. We will bring you more details as soon as they are announced." - DVDTown.com

Sweet. I feel, thus far, this is by far one of 2008's best film.

macnorton 03-24-08 03:06 PM

Sadly this is not playing by me, but I will probably buy this any way. Question, are there similar movies to this that I should check out?

Willh51 03-24-08 03:18 PM

This was a great movie, definitely irreverent.

macnorton, you've probably seen some of these but you should check out the British gangster films Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and also Layer Cake, Revolver and Chopper.

Zodiac_Speaking 03-24-08 03:40 PM

Or check out his short film that was nominated for an Oscar, "Six Shooter" which also features Brendan Gleeson. It's on the "A Collection of 2005 Oscar Nominated Short Films" from Magnolia.

Sondheim 03-24-08 03:47 PM

I really, really liked the movie and will very likely buy it on release day. Here's hoping the DVD has some decent extras.

dpz301 03-24-08 05:43 PM

this never seemed to have played around me, so it's a BB on DVD for me. i am surprised about the july date though we everything else seems to be coming out a lot quicker.

acubfaninmd 03-24-08 06:11 PM

hoping for a Blu-ray release for this.

sb5 03-24-08 07:13 PM

I heard good things, but it didn't play anywhere near where I live. Definitely going to check it out on DVD.

mdc3000 03-25-08 09:05 AM

Being Universal/Focus, I'm not holding my breath for a blu-ray release, I want one, but not counting on it. Best movie of 2008 so far!

macnorton 03-25-08 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Willh51
This was a great movie, definitely irreverent.

macnorton, you've probably seen some of these but you should check out the British gangster films Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and also Layer Cake, Revolver and Chopper.

Thanks I will have to check out Chopper. I just saw Revolver last week.

Zen Peckinpah 03-25-08 12:13 PM

I'm not a fan of Lock Stock or Layer Cake for some reason, but this looked quite different from those and interesting to me to boot. Worth it?

misterchimpy 03-25-08 01:24 PM

I got into an argument with someone over the movie thread about this, lol, but I felt that it was VERY similar to Sexy Beast. No it's not exactly the same, but it has several major plot elements in common. So I would say that if you liked SB, then you would probably like this. I think SB was the better movie though, well worth seeing if you've never seen it.

Zodiac_Speaking 03-25-08 04:16 PM

I feel it's worth it. If you like dark humor mixed with a well-thought out gangster tale, then yes. Still feel this will be in my Top list come later this year.

Daytripper 04-12-08 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
I got into an argument with someone over the movie thread about this, lol, but I felt that it was VERY similar to Sexy Beast. No it's not exactly the same, but it has several major plot elements in common. So I would say that if you liked SB, then you would probably like this. I think SB was the better movie though, well worth seeing if you've never seen it.

That was probably me, sorry. And someone else too in the thread. Anyway, I wasn't arguing as much as disagreeing. I love "Sexy Beast". One of the best films that year and Ben Kingsleys best performance ever IMO. I just felt the tone in both movies were night and day. Would make an outstanding double feature though, no? Anyway, "In Bruges" is the best movie I've seen in 2008 (so far).

CloverClover 04-12-08 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
hoping for a Blu-ray release for this.

Same here, hoping In Bruges / The Bank Job get blu-ray releases this year, hopefully some other UK gangster films as well, it's an interesting sub-genre.

Daytripper 04-21-08 12:38 PM

Release date has been pushed up to 6/24.

Jericho 04-21-08 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Being Universal/Focus, I'm not holding my breath for a blu-ray release, I want one, but not counting on it. Best movie of 2008 so far!

Especially since Universal's not supposed to be coming back to High Def until 7/22. The bumped up release date only further hurts the chance of a Blu-Ray.