Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

My DVD storage solution (for now)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spez
I recently started converting my DVDs to slimpaks. I've gone through a little over 300 so far and they look great. I've got another 500 cases on order (400 single-disc, 100 double-disc) too.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find coverart online? I want to replace the snapper cases too, but they won't fit into the slimpak cases.
I've been thinking about switching some dvd's to thinner cases since I first saw this thread and others like it. I still don't know if I would use the case artwork or print some up. I use DVD Profiler, and with a paid version, you get high resolution images of the front and back covers. You only have to pay once for the program, and you get unlimited updates. I just did a test, and I was able to copy a front cover into word. The file size was 690kb. I haven't printed one yet, but the high resolution images are nice and I'd imagine they'd print just fine. I don't know what I'd do if I had a slim case that had a spine though. For a one-time fee of $29.95, you have access to member scanned images of front and back covers. I don't think there would be a problem with using them, but don't quote me on that. It's also a great program for tracking your collection, and their database is pretty extensive, and includes other regions. I actually use DVD Profiler to view my collection also, so "out of sight, out of mind" wouldn't really be a problem for me because I can view the covers of my collection and pick out a movie. I can even sort them out by genre to narrow the selection. If I ever do join the club, I'll come back to this thread and post some pics.
Old 05-10-08, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
None of the last 4-5 links posted are working for me.
Old 05-11-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
I know i have posted the link before but http://www.genesysdtp.com/ is a great source for all sorts of slim cases. 100 7mm thinpaks for $17.50 800 for $108. Plus other types of spacesavesrs, including 3-6 disc single width cases. Buy from there, thye ship same day most of the time, and I get stuff the next day. Ships out of connecticut.
Old 05-11-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by mr. b_dvd
I've been thinking about switching some dvd's to thinner cases since I first saw this thread and others like it. I still don't know if I would use the case artwork or print some up. I use DVD Profiler, and with a paid version, you get high resolution images of the front and back covers. You only have to pay once for the program, and you get unlimited updates. I just did a test, and I was able to copy a front cover into word. The file size was 690kb. I haven't printed one yet, but the high resolution images are nice and I'd imagine they'd print just fine. I don't know what I'd do if I had a slim case that had a spine though. For a one-time fee of $29.95, you have access to member scanned images of front and back covers. I don't think there would be a problem with using them, but don't quote me on that. It's also a great program for tracking your collection, and their database is pretty extensive, and includes other regions. I actually use DVD Profiler to view my collection also, so "out of sight, out of mind" wouldn't really be a problem for me because I can view the covers of my collection and pick out a movie. I can even sort them out by genre to narrow the selection. If I ever do join the club, I'll come back to this thread and post some pics.
I would pay for dvdprofiler regardless. However there are countless cover sites out there that have high quality custom art as well as scans that are intended for printing. The scans on profiler are not really intended for printing.
Old 05-17-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MasteroDisaster
Wow... Sorry, but the very thought of "mutilating" my DVD collection that way gives me the willies!
LOL.

I've got almost 900 DVD's and only a handful still have the original cover. When I get a new DVD, one of the first things I do is throw away the original cover (and slipcase if it has one) and print off a custom cover that I've either designed myself or someone else has. The covers the studios make look like pure crap.
Most custom covers even have thinpak versions, so the OP wouldn't need to cut his originals. Just throw them out and print a nicer custom thinpak cover.

I don't personally use thinpaks, but I'm a big fan of multi-paks. I have my whole Disney collection in 8 disc cases (with custom covers) and many others. They look great and save space.

Last edited by spartanstew; 05-17-08 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 03:27 PM

I try to keep my cases intact and I don't have too many DVDs so it's ok. I use the tall & slim Ikea Billy CD/DVD bookshelves and I have like 5 so far. I just converted my old Indy movie set to the Futureshop steelbook which saved a lot of space too.

On another note, if any of you guys converting your DVDs to slim cases have your old cases or sets you want to get rid of let me know & PM me. I need some cases to complete my DVDs, some boxsets (like the Futurama ones), and I also need some blank Amaray cases.

PG
Old 05-18-08, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
I would pay for dvdprofiler regardless. However there are countless cover sites out there that have high quality custom art as well as scans that are intended for printing. The scans on profiler are not really intended for printing.

I am aware about the cover sites, and I think spez is as well. He was asking for "free" sites, with quality scans. I simply thought up the suggestion since I had DVD Profiler open as I was reading this thread. It's not a perfect solution since the scans are not created for printing, but they are quality scans that one would have access to with a one-time fee. I haven't found any free cover sites that have great scans, but I haven't looked that hard either. If you know of any, please post a link 'cos I also would love to eventually transfer some movies to thinpacks with quality covers, and it would be much easier to print covers that are already made for printing.
Old 05-19-08, 04:55 AM

I'd love some more information on those drawer sleeves Palooka.

It looks like they are large enough to hold all the disc sleeves and even the slipcovers maybe?

I definitely believe in the "out of sight, out of mind" thing, and know that personally, I need to display at least a large part of my collection. But I have 500+ in binders right now, and need to make more room. But those drawers and sleeves look nice, maybe I can use them instead of my binders.

Could you post the pricing and other details and your thoughts on them?
Here is a link.

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catal...H&N=2&id=VCB48

Once you get over the initial "shock" of doing this it is most liberating. The larger box sets I cut down and they fit in just fine. As I said, i believe that my discs will go through another slimming down yet when I rip it all onto a hard drive and the discs will be back-ups only.

This clearly is not the solution for everyone and I completely understand that folk out there love their boxes and artwork. I used to be one myself, but the practicality of this system totally out weighs that.
Old 05-19-08, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by palooka
Here is a link.

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catal...H&N=2&id=VCB48

Once you get over the initial "shock" of doing this it is most liberating. The larger box sets I cut down and they fit in just fine. As I said, i believe that my discs will go through another slimming down yet when I rip it all onto a hard drive and the discs will be back-ups only.

This clearly is not the solution for everyone and I completely understand that folk out there love their boxes and artwork. I used to be one myself, but the practicality of this system totally out weighs that.
Thanks! I'm still a bit confused by the pics. Are there multiple sizes of sleeves being sold as a package in that link? It looks like 5 different sizes all in one package? It isn't very clear. Are the slipcovers fitting inside them without any cutting? Where are you putting the actual DVDs? Are there separate sleeves that are exactly disc sized? And then you put those inside the larger sleeve with the cover art and slipcovers?

Sorry to be persistently inquisitive. Your pics look like a something I'd consider doing, but that link is confusing.
Old 06-10-08, 11:50 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
anyone know of any good deals on slimpacks?
Old 06-10-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shop4Tech.com has decent prices and 12% coupon DG12 that's good till 6/12.

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 06-11-08 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 06:38 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Shop4Tech.com has decent prices and %12 coupon DG12 that's good till 6/12.

perfect! thanks!!
Old 07-07-08, 02:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

My collection back on 3/23/2008:

My collection today, 7/07/2008:

not that big of a difference you say? What if you learned that I bought 265 additional DVD's within that span of time...?
Old 07-07-08, 02:43 PM

I prefer the white chair to the pink one
Old 07-07-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TallGuy, are those in thinpaks?
Old 07-07-08, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
That's the first thing I thought.
Old 07-07-08, 03:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
It's a red and white pinstriped slipcover, THANKYOUVERYMUCH!
Old 07-07-08, 03:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abe.
TallGuy, are those in thinpaks?
A good majority are, but I havent converted any snappers, or did anything with any discs that came with a slipcover... I didn't touch any criterions or cool packaged discs I own........ about 100-200 more need to be converted, then I'll be done. Say what you want about "folding" and converting... it was a lifesaver.
Old 10-06-08, 11:59 AM

I have taken the first steps towards joining you TallGuyMe.

As I come across broken cases, I've been moving them into slimcases.

But with my binge buying not letting up (darn DD and their B1G1F sales, and CH glitches), and multiple bookcases and shelving units overflowing with DVDs, I'm going for it.

I have some in binders, but want to get away from them, I just need to see the titles on the shelves, makes it much easier to actually decide to watch stuff.

So I ordered 100 clear slimcases, and 100 clear double slim cases the other day. I'm starting by converting the biggest space wasters. 2 disc sets like Glory and Speed which were in those huge double amarays. Even with the insert, they fit nicely in the double slims, and use a fourth of the space.

Some cases I've folded down the edges to make the paper covers fit, but I'm leaning towards just using scissors from now on. Seriously, I doubt I'll ever sell them, and even if I did, they would go for a couple bucks each. I won't mess with the packaging of anything I consider possibly oop or expensive of course, but 90% of the DVDs I own will hopefully be in slimcases by the end of the next year.
Old 10-12-08, 10:26 AM

Mmmmm... Been wrestling with this same problem for some time now as I, like so many others here, am fast approaching 1000+ in DVDs, and that doesn't include the dozens of TV show collections I've got. I have 2 storage shelving units and 2 bookcases, all packed full, and now I'm resorting to stacking piles on tables and the floor.

After chugging through all these posts, I took my first step and bought a small quantity of the mid-sized (9mm) cases to compare with some of the slimlines I already own. Whichever one tickles my fancy the most will eventually replace the vast majority of fatguy cases hogging most of my precious shelf space.

Thanks for all the good advice & links to various sites to help me in my new weight loss quest!

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 10-12-08 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-12-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
Mmmmm... Been wrestling with this same problem for some time now as I, like so many others here, am fast approaching 1000+ in DVDs, and that doesn't include the dozens of TV show collections I've got. I have 2 storage shelving units and 2 bookcases, all packed full, and now I'm resorting to stacking piles on tables and the floor.

After chugging through all these posts, I took my first step and bought a small quantity of the mid-sized (9mm) cases to compare with some of the slimlines I already own. Whichever one tickles my fancy the most will eventually replace the vast majority of fatguy cases hogging most of my precious shelf space.

Thanks for all the good advice & links to various sites to help me in my new weight loss quest!
I initially started down the slimcase path. While the space usage was significant, it wasn't enough for me. I ended up with binders for everything except flippers, and created a nice printed catalog that sits on the coffee table.
Old 10-12-08, 02:20 PM

Any opinions on 9mm vs. 7mm slim cases? Obviously you don't save as much space, but does the 9mm size require folding or cutting the artwork?
Old 10-12-08, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by indy81
Any opinions on 9mm vs. 7mm slim cases? Obviously you don't save as much space, but does the 9mm size require folding or cutting the artwork?
How could it not? They don't contain wormholes or other secret space.

You have to cut 7mm if you move from a 14mm to a 7mm case, and cut 5mm if you move to a 9mm case.
Old 10-12-08, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
How could it not? They don't contain wormholes or other secret space.

You have to cut 7mm if you move from a 14mm to a 7mm case, and cut 5mm if you move to a 9mm case.
I see. To make your point, you must be using that fancy "math" I keep hearing about.

I thought maybe there was a chance you could squeeze the larger artwork into the 9mm case with a minimum of rippling, vs. the 7mm cases. But I guess I will need to fold or cut no matter what.

Any recommendations on the best way to shrink the artwork? Is folding too awkward? Is a paper cutter the cleanest way to shave off a few mm?
Old 10-12-08, 03:46 PM

If you have access to a copy machine, why not make a copy of it and THEN cut that one ??? Why ruin the original ???........Actually, after thinking about it for a second, you can reduce the size of a copy to certain percentages of actual size. You might be able to get it close to fitting in with no cutting and hacking. This way you have ALL the info of the original intact. And for those of you about to use the arguement that a "copy" won't look as good. What about the original with a big chunk cut out of it ??? And I'm pretty sure they make color copiers that have excellent quality results. For as big of an investment as dvd collections can be, it seems at least worth looking into.........My 2 cents !!!

Last edited by jimmaxmed; 10-12-08 at 03:53 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.