Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What were your first VHS/Betamax/Laserdisc/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray titles?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What were your first VHS/Betamax/Laserdisc/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray titles?

Old 12-05-10, 09:34 AM

Re: What were your first VHS/Betamax/Laserdisc/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray titles?

Originally Posted by dillkid View Post
VHS - Late 1995/Early 1996
Tots TV (I was like 6 months old!)
Awesome, I remember that! With the French chick, and the donkey.
Old 12-05-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

VHS - Either Roger Rabbit or Batman, I forget which
DVD - Gladiator, Heavy Metal, Fantasia and Spinal Tap
Blu-ray - Wall-E
Old 12-06-10, 03:30 AM

I know this is off topic but wasn't sure where to say this. My parents were going through some old boxes tonight and stumbled upon some of my old VHS tapes. I swear they were all sold off years ago. Gone. Yet ... here they are. All complete and near mint as well! Here's what I have ...

Predator
Predator 2
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters
Independence Day - Has inserts and a special holographic 3-d plastic cover lithograph whatever you call it cover.
The Spy Who Loved Me
Jackie Chan's Police Story 2
U-571: Special Edition
G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero: Chunnel
He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe: The Courage Of Adam (2002)

Some of these even have extras! I guess they come after the films. All of these are full screen as they all say "Formatted to fit your screen" on the back of them.
Old 07-05-16, 12:57 AM

Last edited by MovieMax; 07-15-16 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

VHS - First I remember were the original Star Wars trilogy release
DVD - Blade (Still have this copy)
BluRay - Force Awakens
Old 07-07-16, 02:17 AM

VHS - Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969) & almost Risky Business (1983) I put these two on layaway and when I got them out, turned out that Risky Business was Betamax.

DVD - I'm surprised I don't remember.

Blu-Ray - My first one was Without Warning (1980)

Then I won a whole bunch in the Horror Challenge.
Blu-Ray/DVD Combos
Eaten Alive (1976)
Mark Of The Devil (1970)
Society (1989)
Spider Baby (1967)
Sleepaway Camp III Teenage Wasteland (1989)
Blu-Rays
Cellar Dweller (1988) & Catacombs (1988)
Empire Of The Ants (1977) & Jaws Of Satan (1981)
Ghost House (1988) & Witchery (1988)
The Harvest (2013)
New Year's Evil (1980)
The Outing (1987) & The Godsend (1980)
Pumpkinhead II Blood Wings (1993)
Scarecrows (1988)
Toolbox Murders 2 (2013)

I then bought Army Of Darkness (1992), The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), Into The Woods (2015) & Woodstock (1970)

I haven't got a Blu-Ray Player yet.
Old 07-07-16, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

VHS: 200 Motels

DVD: True Stories and Pink Floyd: The Wall

HD-DVD: Land of the Dead

Blu-Ray: District 9
Old 07-07-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Beta (1982): Night of the Living Dead (1969)
VHS (1985): The Empire Strikes Back (HiFi stereo) (one of the first HiFi Stereo VHS titles)
DVD (1999): Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
BluRay (2008): 2001: A Space Odyssey
Old 01-08-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
VHS:
Top Gun

DVD:
Mallrats

Blu-ray:
Will probably be Superman: The Movie, but that has yet to be determined.
Was just thinking about this today, actually.
Blu-ray Disc: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre [Ultimate Edition]
4K UHD: Justice League
Old 01-10-19, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Can't believe I haven't answered this yet:

VHS: EP-speed public-domain copy of Night of the Living Dead, bought for $9.99 at Lucky in 1986 during a grocery trip. First REAL VHS (SP with Hi-Fi) was Halloween on Media Home Entertainment that same year, at K-Mart for about $17.99.

Beta: We Are The World, gotten with my first Beta VCR (now deceased) at a flea market in 1994.

Laserdisc: Ford dealer sales training disc titled "Negotiating Agreement" that came with a used Sony/Ford laserdisc player I bought for $10 at a flea market in 1993. First new/sealed disc was The Chocolate War, $14.99 cutout at Tower Video.

DVD: Luminous Visions, a computer animation compilation with music by Tangerine Dream (one of my faves.) Got it a while before I had a DVD player, also includes a music CD which is longer than the DVD. First movie was Daylight, bought from a limited selection at the store while buying my first player (Pioneer DVL-909 LD/DVD player.)

HD-DVD: Million Dollar Baby and Rumor Has It, from Tower's going out of business sale. First time the format had dropped in price to affordable levels, and I wanted the first releases on the format (Rumor Has It was the first combo-format disc with regular DVD on the other side.)

Blu-Ray: 50 First Dates, bought at the same time as those HD-DVDs. Only chose it because it was one of the first titles on the format. First regular Blu-Ray purchase was either Snow White or Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, still not having a player or HDTV yet, but both of those came with regular DVDs and Snow White was a limited issue so wanted to get it while I could.

CED: Flashdance, bought in 1993 from a now-gone used record store the day after finding a stereo player at a flea market with nothing to play on it. And the rest, as they say, is history

VHD: Rambo, which my player ended up eating. Have since gotten a replacement copy and working players.

8mm: The Dirt Bike Kid, on clearance for about $7 at Tower Outlet.

D-VHS: Several titles in an Ebay sale with player, first one I played was Independence Day.

4K Ultra HD: Deadpool (before having a player and 4K display, just wanted to have something in the format.)
Old 01-10-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Can't believe I haven't answered this yet...
No DIVX?
Old 01-10-19, 03:19 PM

The first CD, VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray I ever bought - including those first two being "with my own money" when I was just a kid - was, and I kid you not, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That says so much about me.
Old 01-11-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I did buy a few DIVX discs when they were being cleared out. One of them was Amistad because it has a making-of feature that ďcan be viewed at any time without charge,Ē but you still need a registered player to access it which is impossible now.
Old 01-15-19, 04:19 PM

Like Alan, hard to believe I haven't posted on this, yet.

I guess I'll go in chronological order of my having something on that particular format....

CED (1982)
The very first system I bought into, with my own hard-earned yard mowing money (I still wasn't old enough to work a real after-school job). The first discs I bought were also the big reason I bought the player: for watching episodes of Star Trek, which had been off the air in my area for a long time! My first actual disc was either Star Trek: Trouble With Tribbles/Tholian Web (mail order from Sears), or Star Trek: City/Battlefield (from Lee Merriman's in Lexington, KY, which was "the" store to buy CED discs in the area. Yes, there were other stores, but no-one had as large and diverse a selection as they did!

VHS (1984 or 85)
This would have been Star Trek: The Motion Picture "Special Longer Version". I'd had VHS/Beta-envy ever since I saw Destination: Moonbase Alpha in the Columbia House mailer, and as CED was being phased out, and prices on the tape-based formats were finally coming down to consumer levels, we had to pick a format. VHS won out because that was the only format the local video store in our one-horse town had. I got outvoted (I'd wanted Beta). Given how things played out, I should thank them for overruling me! I progressed to hi-fi decks, flying erase heads, and S-VHS. Never took the D-VHS plunge, but around 1995, I bought a multi-system VCR with digital converter (an Aiwa HV-MX1) so I could do UK/US tape trading. I've been buying/swapping PAL/50hz content to this day, though now on DVD and blu-ray).

Laser (and Beta)
I was on the fence about laser from about 1990 to 1994. Considered asking for one for Christmas one year, but when I found that Star Trek: The Motion Picture was the theatrical cut only, I decided against. Awhile later, when I saw a few episodes of Space: 1999 in the bin at Camelot Music, I was once again tempted, but since they didn't have the entire run (I had off-air PBS recordings on VHS by then), I balked again. I did finally pick up a used player just a few years ago for $25.00 to play one or two specific discs, but as I never "adopted" the format, it's not worth going into.

As with laser, it was within the last 10 years or so that I bought a beta player (for playing used/old stuff) so once again, not officially an 'adopted' technology.

DVD (2001, I think)
I was not an early adopter, here. I was waiting for the whole "region-free" problem to get sorted out. My first player was a Sampo. As with VHS, the title that was giving me the "itch" to buy was the Director's Edition release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The fact it wasn't on VHS (or if it was, it wouldn't have had the bonus features) swayed me.

Blu-Ray (spring/summer 2010)
For the first time, buying a player wasn't because of a Star Trek release. The reason this time was I was finally upgrading to an HDTV. As with DVD, I'd been watching the region-free thing play out for awhile. Also, I was determined not only to be all-region with my player, but also with my TV (so I wouldn't have to endure standards conversion), so I did a lot of research. Once I was confident I'd be buying a regular US model TV that was multi-system out-of-the-box (so I wouldn't have to pay extra for a grey-market, non-warranty imported TV), I bought an Oppo BDP-83, and took some test discs with me to go TV shopping with (R2/PAL DVDs of Doctor Who and Life On Mars, and a Region B 1080i/50 blu-ray of Wallace and Gromit: Matter of Loaf and Death). I'm pretty sure that Wallace and Gromit disc is my first blu-ray, the main reason being it was an inexpensive disc (that I still wanted) which I could test 1080i/50 compatibility on the US television sets I was comparing.
Old 01-16-19, 10:46 PM

VHS - Boomerang (1992) - oddly enough, I've never bought this movie again in any format and don't even have any VHS tapes anymore.

DVD - Back to the Future trilogy - since been upgraded to Blu-Ray

Blu-Ray - Grindhouse (2007) - I was resisting the urge to upgraded my entire collection and didn't have a player, but then they went and released this movie as a Blu-Ray exclusive (at the time, although they split the movies into two different releases), which caused me to rake the plunge.
Old 01-17-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

VHS- Iím going to guess it was something Disney or family related that was shared by the family but I really donít remember. Some of the first official tapes that were mine specifically (received as gifts for my birthday or Christmas or other occasions) were episodes of Star Trek (TOS, specifically the episodes The Cage, The City on the Edge of Forever, and A Piece of the Action) as well as Star Trek III: The Search For Spock and Batman Returns.

DVD- Iím not completely sure. I remember having the first two seasons of The Simpsons and Star Trek: The Motion Picture (two disc directorís cut) fairly early on when I started collecting.

Blu-ray- This one I actually remember, it was The Shining. I also got Foo Fighters: Live at Wembley and Tropic Thunder shortly after getting my player (which was a PS3).

4K- Thor: Ragnarok. Still donít have a 4K tv or player, but am future proofing some titles if theyíre comparable in price to their Blu-ray counterparts.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-17-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

VHS: Purple Rain
Laserdisc: Jaws
DVD: The Matrix
BR: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1 & 2