DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Ever think you have it all, then there is something else you need, now? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/526972-ever-think-you-have-all-then-there-something-else-you-need-now.html)

OldBoy 03-09-08 11:38 AM

Ever think you have it all, then there is something else you need, now?

i'm talking the older releases, not new and upcoming which of course we all obsess over and need as well.

whenever I think i have all the dvd's i could possibly ever need and want, there is some title that gets in my head that i just have to have now. you know i still scan the aisles at BB, look down Target's limited aisles, never see anything, then a day or two later, i get this urge or feeling that i have to see and have something that i never thought twice about a year ago, especially if it is at a reasonable price. it is such a weird and sometimes unsettling feeling.

couple weeks ago, i saw "Fargo/Rain Man" (Double Feature) @ Target, saw it, saw it had the SE features, but really didn't want to get it. i am not all that enamorate of the movie, "Fargo". so, i never really wanted them before. saw them on tv a few times and it was meh.

then, i was like i really want to see "Fargo" again. what with "No Country for Old Men" out Tuesday and figured i would give it another chance. then i rationalized i would like to see "Rain Man" sometime soon. and mind you this all happens in my head in mere minutes as opposed to this convuluted story.

so i got it the very next day i think about it. and this happens all the time with other older titles that i don't think twice about, then all of a sudden...

this happen to anyone else?

PopcornTreeCt 03-09-08 12:26 PM

It used to happen to me a lot. But I don't pay attention to sales anymore. I only pay attention to re-issued catalog titles and new releases. I pretty much have everything I want.

Dr Mabuse 03-09-08 12:30 PM

happens a lot less now because it has already happened so many times before...

that's good at least...

on the other hand i just bought my 3rd Criterion release of 'Seven Samurai'... so it still happens a bit...

Yakuza Bengoshi 03-09-08 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
whenever I think i have all the dvd's i could possibly ever need and want, there is some title that gets in my head that i just have to have now.

Welcome to hyper-consumerism. "Enough" is always at least one purchase away.

Dr Mabuse 03-09-08 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi

so that's the name for what i do?...

cool...

DeanoBKN 03-09-08 01:07 PM

I pretty much have everything I wanted to collect on DVD, but i'm ALWAYS finding hidden gems that I am discovering.

RyoHazuki 03-09-08 01:15 PM

What person honestly believes they own all the movies they'll ever want (not counting new movies)?

Matthew Ackerly 03-09-08 01:25 PM

Not until "The Stepfather" is released... if ever!

hindolio 03-09-08 10:07 PM

this op sounds familiar in a out-of-context, deja-vu sorta way.

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
so that's the name for what i do?...

cool...

hyper-cool :D

oh yeah, whoever recommended that book, "the paradox of choice", tttytytyytyytyytytytytytyt! its a fantastic read :D

darthdelegate 03-09-08 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Not until "The Stepfather" is released... if ever!

Man, I wish they'd release this series.

Disc-Flipper 03-10-08 11:57 AM

I'm contemplating the 3-disc "Titanic" SE. I heard the 2-disc is no better of a transfer and is one disc less of extras.

I already own the 1-disc, and wonder if it's good enough quality to suit my rare viewing.
But don't watch that movie much. I do enjoy having the entire movie on one disc.

visitor Q 03-10-08 05:35 PM

You stopped me at the "Ever think you have it all" part of the question. My want list is a mile long. And just as I think I've made some decent headway, a large number of more films get added.

It's a sickness; for that I am certain.

MEJHarrison 03-11-08 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
You stopped me at the "Ever think you have it all" part of the question.

Same here. I've never thought I have it all and I doubt that I ever will.

The only thing I've noticed lately is browsing the DVDs and not finding anything that catches my attention. The problem is I'm in that strange in-between period where I no longer want to buy on DVD, but can't find anything interesting on HD. There's interesting stuff out there of course, but when I shop locally, I can't seem to find anything. But that doesn't mean I have it all, just that the place I'm shopping has poor selection.