DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Spaced coming to DVD on July 23, 2008 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/526593-spaced-coming-dvd-july-23-2008-a.html)

BJacks 03-03-08 10:33 PM

Spaced coming to DVD on July 23, 2008

No word yet on details, but Edgar Wright confirmed that his BBC series is finally hitting DVD on July 23.

We’ve got some good news and bad news for you devoted “Spaced” fans out there. Die-hard fans of all things Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg know that there was indeed life before “Hot Fuzz” and “Shaun of the Dead” and it was called “Spaced.”

Only 14 episodes long, the unconventional sitcom launched the careers of both and spawned a devoted following that’s been hoping, praying, nay begging, for a DVD release here in the United States. Well, mark your calendars. The date is July 23, 2008, and that info came to us exclusively from none other than Wright himself.
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/03/03...ericanization/

starman9000 03-03-08 10:38 PM

I will pick it up to finally get an R1 version, I hope they can throw something extra on it. This show needs a Christmas special.

I wonder if the Star Wars music will be intact.

Chaza 03-03-08 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
I will pick it up to finally get an R1 version, I hope they can throw something extra on it. This show needs a Christmas special.

I wonder if the Star Wars music will be intact.

There are some cool extras on the R2 version, with a nice documentary. I'm glad it's coming out here, I just hope there aren't any exclusive extras that aren't on the R2 collectors set.

TheJoker 03-03-08 10:59 PM

Im going to be grabbing this set. Its such an awesome show. Hopefully they got all the music rights sorted out as that was what was preventing the release....

GenPion 03-03-08 11:05 PM

I'll be buying this one for sure. I'm marking my calender.

neocheddar02 03-03-08 11:09 PM

Great news! This is one of the few remaining DVDs I've been holding out for. Thanks for the info!

dman988 03-04-08 12:37 AM

Hmm...what's "the bad news"?

chris_sc77 03-04-08 12:43 AM

Great news. I almost bid on the R2 box few days ago on ebay. Glad I waited.

PopcornTreeCt 03-04-08 12:46 AM

I ordered the R2 just last week. I don't mind I got it cheaper than probably what it's gonna cost months from now.

tylergfoster 03-04-08 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by dman988
Hmm...what's "the bad news"?

Probably that Fox Television is remaking "Spaced" for American audiences, with McG producing and no participation (or blessing) from the original crew.

MTRodaba2468 03-04-08 02:46 AM

Fuck yes.

I've been waiting for an R1 release, my brother has been waiting for it (although he's been making do with downloaded episodes), and my friend Alisha has been waiting for it.

Now just as long as all the original music is kept, I'm definitely in.

bunkaroo 03-04-08 08:05 AM

Hmmm - I wonder if I should sell my R2 copy now.

sauce07 03-04-08 08:31 AM

Waiting for this for years. Thank god it is finally coming out. Now if only somebody would blind McG all would be good

AGuyNamedMike 03-04-08 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by sauce07
Now if only somebody would blind McG all would be good

Do you think that would make a noticeable difference?

BJacks 03-04-08 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Probably that Fox Television is remaking "Spaced" for American audiences, with McG producing and no participation (or blessing) from the original crew.

Yeah, I didn't post the entire article (just the DVD related) bit, but the rest is about Pegg and Wright slamming McG's remake.

nateman 03-04-08 09:09 AM

Why is it coming out on a Wednesday?

MasterofDVD 03-04-08 09:35 AM

I was so excited to see this thread I let out a girly yelp that really alarmed my wife. Once I explained my reason for such joy she still didn't really understand or care.

It'll be nice to replace my VCDs with real DVDs. I could never justify buying a region free player for just this show so I am glad I can finally compensate those involved by purchasing the real thing.

Giles 03-04-08 09:53 AM

this import I've bought is STILL sitting in my to watch pile - for some reason I found the first episode really hard to get into.

islandclaws 03-04-08 10:51 AM

I've never seen this, but I'm a fan of the work Wright and Pegg have done, so I think I'll check it out. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

sauce07 03-04-08 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Do you think that would make a noticeable difference?

not really but how many blind producers do you know of?

Dr. Forrester 03-04-08 11:49 AM

I suppose the big question will be if all the original music is included. I know rights issues/licensing fees were the major stumbling block for getting Spaced across the pond, but Wright also said he was adamant about keeping the original tracks as he felt (rightly) they were integral to the episodes.

I picked up the R2 CE a few years back, and it's one of my favorite purchases of my collection. Really, if you're a fan of Spaced or Wright and Pegg's work, the ton of great extras that come with that set aren't to be believed.

SterlingBen 03-04-08 12:11 PM

Damn, I paid 50 buck for bootlegs several years ago :(
I was promised this was never going to come out in America!

majorjoe23 03-04-08 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
this import I've bought is STILL sitting in my to watch pile - for some reason I found the first episode really hard to get into.

It gets a lot better after the first episode, there was a lot of setting up in that.

peateargryphon 03-04-08 12:25 PM

Well, you guys can thank me for this news, since I just bought the R2 version about 3-4 months ago after giving up on an R1 release.

asianxcore 03-04-08 01:43 PM

Good news!

I was planning on ordering the R2 release next week anyway.