DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Spaced coming to DVD on July 23, 2008 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/526593-spaced-coming-dvd-july-23-2008-a.html)

Wallet Boy 04-01-08 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by RKillgore
For some reason, when I ordered, Spaced was discounted to £8.49, The Prisoner to £30.61, IT Crowd Series 1 to £6.78, but IT Crowd Series 2 remained at £7.97.

They probably removed the built-in VAT charge if you said you were shipping it outside of Europe.

rmick 04-24-08 02:35 PM

Any follow up or word on this release? An official announcement?

GoVegan 04-24-08 03:16 PM

I haven't heard anything more, but I am looking forward to this, even though I already own the indivual seasons on R2 DVDs as well as the 3 disc box set. I'll gladly purchase it a third time, though.

tylergfoster 05-06-08 12:18 PM

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36638

- New exclusive commentary with director Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson) and guests Quentin Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Bill Hader, Matt Stone, Patton Oswalt and Diablo Cody
- Exclusive Spaced On Stage reunion Q&A recorded at the National Film Theatre, London in October 2007
- “Skip to the End” - Exclusive feature length documentary
- “Spaced Jam” by Osymyso
- Outtakes
- Trailers
- Deleted scenes
- Raw footage
- Photo gallery
- Homage-O-Meter - An onscreen feature that tracks each pop-culture reference
- Newly updated cast and crew biographies

Doesn't say whether it includes the old commentaries, and it doesn't mention the music rights issues at all -- again, I might just be getting duped but Simon and Edgar have been so vocal about it in the past that I have to believe if there was any music missing, they'd let us know (if not in this press release, somewhere). It also says there is cover art, which isn't posted.

ThePhantomGoat 05-06-08 08:08 PM

the cover art is up at www.tvshowsondvd.com Not looking too great, if you ask me.

I have a feeling I'll be sticking to my R2 copy.

Luther Heggs 05-06-08 10:49 PM

http://i31.tinypic.com/292ra7q.jpg

They're certainly not going to get many blind buys based on that cover art. I can honestly say that if I had never heard of the series and then saw the UK SE cover art, I'd consider buying it on the strength of that awesome cover:

http://i25.tinypic.com/k0rc5l.jpg

Is that press release just poorly written - they need to spring for a dictionary that includes the meaning of "exclusive," for one - or are we really talking about a single new commentary with nine participants, two-thirds of whom have nothing to do with the show? Jesus, that sounds like a beating. I'd like to see the 2007 reunion (Oh wait, I totally can), but I don't want to pay to hear some of those commentary participants talk about their own work, much less go one about someone elses.
Still, if the music is intact, the set would be a necessary purchase for anyone who doesn't want to get a region-free player. Even though the MSRP is more than twice what the R2 set works out to be in US$, I would have expected the music clearances to make it even higher.

tylergfoster 05-06-08 11:01 PM

Jeez, people are picky. I like the art, but then again, I've seen the show, so I can't speak for blind-buyers.

As I said, the press release is also not clear as to whether or not the old tracks are included either, and yeah, it calls the documentary "exclusive". I am fairly sure that there are separate tracks with each guest, based on the earlier interviews with Simon and whatnot.

I don't see a big deal about the pricetag. Sure, it's only 14 episodes, but you get a lot of extra stuff, and it doesn't seem that expensive to finally have a domestic copy of the show.

Luther Heggs 05-07-08 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Jeez, people are picky.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am very picky. Especially when it comes to things that I really like, and Spaced is one of them.

I like the art, but then again, I've seen the show, so I can't speak for blind-buyers.

When you've half-assed your way through as many art jobs as I have lately, you can spot a half-assed job a mile away. Really, that cover smacks of an attempt to capture the flavor of the original - but without any sense of composition and minus the Star Wars homage. Notice how Mike and Tim's expressions have been transplanted to the positions on the new cover so awkwardly that they no longer resemble the actors. If the group that assembled this had ever seen an episode of Spaced before, I'll suck a pig tit. (EDIT: After looking at the art more closely, I have to admit that aside from Mike, Tim, and Brian the likenesses are good. OK, maybe this guy has seen Jessica Stevenson before. It still stinks compared to the original, though.) Of course all of my criticism of the art is moot - the actual cover may end up looking very different by the time it gets to store shelves.

As I said, the press release is also not clear as to whether or not the old tracks are included either, and yeah, it calls the documentary "exclusive". I am fairly sure that there are separate tracks with each guest, based on the earlier interviews with Simon and whatnot.

I think you're right there; I re-read what he said at Peggster.net and it does seem like many there will be many commentaries. If there are, I'm definitely going to rent this just to hear them. But commentary tracks featuring people unconnected to the show or movie in question rarely work, in my experience. Though Patton Oswalt is funny as shit, I wouldn't want to hear him repeat, "This scene is so great! I love this part!" for thirty minutes. Hopefully they all have something better up their collective sleeve.

I don't see a big deal about the pricetag. Sure, it's only 14 episodes, but you get a lot of extra stuff, and it doesn't seem that expensive to finally have a domestic copy of the show.

Yes, as I said - the MSRP, though higher than the R2's cost, is still less than I would have expected. I expected it to be higher. Again, I'm just amazed at the idea that they could have cleared all that music and kept it affordable.

I realize I'm levelling criticism at a product based solely on a press release, but I'd like to see this show get wider acceptance. I'd like to see more people get into this show. It seems to me the best way to do that would have been to keep the original, funny, informative commentary tracks instead of recording new stunt commentaries and keep the original cover art, which kicked all kinds of ass.

tylergfoster 05-07-08 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
When you've half-assed your way through as many art jobs as I have lately, you can spot a half-assed job a mile away. Really, that cover smacks of an attempt to capture the flavor of the original - but without any sense of composition and minus the Star Wars homage. Notice how Mike and Tim's expressions have been transplanted to the positions on the new cover so awkwardly that they no longer resemble the actors. If the group that assembled this had ever seen an episode of Spaced before, I'll suck a pig tit. (EDIT: After looking at the art more closely, I have to admit that aside from Mike, Tim, and Brian the likenesses are good. OK, maybe this guy has seen Jessica Stevenson before. It still stinks compared to the original, though.) Of course all of my criticism of the art is moot - the actual cover may end up looking very different by the time it gets to store shelves.

I'd say, wait until the art appears in a little bit higher resolution, and flat (if they ever stick it online that way). I'd say their likenesses are no better or worse than the ones on the R2 and I really think Brian looks fine. Marsha looks a little wonky though.

GoVegan 05-07-08 08:36 AM

Yeah, I don't see it. I think they're decent likenesses. I wouldn't have had any trouble recognizing any of them, even out of context.

I'm too lazy to dig up a link, but Edgar Wright posted a comment on his blog clarifying that the original commentary tracks are included.

MasterofDVD 05-07-08 10:32 AM

I really wish the art was the same as the set in region 2 but I can certainly live with a change if it means we finally get the damn set here. Simon's likeness is utter rubbish and it is upsetting since I have come to really love his work.

kms_md 05-07-08 10:35 AM

according to tvshowsondvd, this is only draft artwork.

boredsilly 05-07-08 12:09 PM

I had no idea about this coming out here, but with all of the new features this will be one of those rare cases where I have to double dip. If everything from the R2 release is on here, maybe I can unload that to make up a bit of the costs. It does have a cooler cover, but I really don't care about that much.

tylergfoster 05-07-08 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I'm too lazy to dig up a link, but Edgar Wright posted a comment on his blog clarifying that the original commentary tracks are included.

Hey! That was MY comment he was responding to! Thumbs up to that.

mikeporter 05-07-08 02:30 PM

I would have bought this without any commentaries. Commentaries by Smith, Stone, Tarantino should cause this set to receive some nominations for the 2008 awards from various dvd sites.

RobLutter 05-07-08 03:03 PM

I'd hold onto your R2 copies until they say outright they've secured the music rights...

Even my girlfriend commented that "So THAT's why they didn't release this in the US" when she heard some of the tracks.

That said, if you're region-free, I don't see a reason not to jump on it for 9 quid. I picked it up for, I believe around 15 ukp around 6 months ago and it's a very comprehensive set for even that price.

Does Daisy look a little svelt in that new art, or is it just me? LOL.

tylergfoster 05-07-08 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by RobLutter
I'd hold onto your R2 copies until they say outright they've secured the music rights...

Just ask Edgar on his MySpace.

Chaza 05-07-08 06:19 PM

I'll likely double dip on this, but I will probably wait until the price drops as I have the R2 collectors edition already.

ardathbey 05-07-08 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by kms_md
according to tvshowsondvd, this is only draft artwork.

Yes, I'd like to second that I just read that as well. So complain about what you like but we are not certain its the final artwork so hold on there....

MTRodaba2468 05-08-08 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by GoVegan

Fantastic. Now all we need is confirmation on the music rights...

tylergfoster 05-08-08 06:48 PM

Edgar does not confirm that ALL the music is intact, but "The A-Team" and any "Star Wars" related music are (I ended up asking him myself, again. It was very nice of him to respond both times).

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...0700626&page=2

MTRodaba2468 05-09-08 01:23 AM

Edgar does not confirm that ALL the music is intact, but "The A-Team" and any "Star Wars" related music are (I ended up asking him myself, again. It was very nice of him to respond both times).

Thanks for asking. I think it's fairly safe to say that if The A-Team and Star Wars music are intact, then most, if not all the original music will be as well.

tylergfoster 05-09-08 03:54 AM

Well, the A-Team theme did appear in "Napoleon Dynamite" and I imagine a LOT of the people at Lucasfilm appreciate "Spaced". So perhaps, while those may be among the most pertinent, they might not have been the most tricky.

It may seem like I'm all over the map (before I was assured, now I'm skeptical) but you never know. Still, BBC Video is owned by WB, so that probably covers at least some of it, and I imagine a lot of stuff you just have to plunk down a little money for. I doubt the "Murder, She Wrote" theme is exactly a huge licensing money-maker for the studio.

GoVegan 05-09-08 03:42 PM

Cool! It's kind of funny that he only responded twice in that blog, both times to you. I guess nobody else's questions were worth a damn.

I'm still in for this set, however it looks or whatever it contains. Even disregarding the new extras, it'll make it easier to loan out to friends. I already know that I'll be buying copies for a few people.

TheJoker 05-15-08 03:53 PM

New box art! Much better!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics...lete_final.jpg

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Spaced-...te-Series/9627