Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spaced coming to DVD on July 23, 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet info! i can now (hopefully) let go of the R2 release.
Old 03-04-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll wait for the US version of the show.
Old 03-04-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be the first here, to say, that this is nothing to get excited about yet, I actually think fans of Spaced here are getting a little carried away.

There is no confirmation yet if the music will be completely carried over yet, the show IMO would be unwatchable without all the music rights, it was such a huge part of the charm of the show.

Also, the commentairs simply must be carried over or it's just not worth buying (or re-buying). The R2 set has full cast commentaries that are at times as funny as the show.

So for now I'm perfectly happy with my box set, it would really, really suck if this finally gets an R1 release only to be barebones.
Old 03-04-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't imagine they would port it over without the music, but I guess we'll see. We also don't know the distributor yet...I'm kinda hoping it's Shout Factory since they've been great about securing music licenses.
Old 03-04-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
I'll be the first here, to say, that this is nothing to get excited about yet, I actually think fans of Spaced here are getting a little carried away.
There is no confirmation yet if the music will be completely carried over yet, the show IMO would be unwatchable without all the music rights, it was such a huge part of the charm of the show.
Also, the commentaries simply must be carried over or it's just not worth buying (or re-buying). The R2 set has full cast commentaries that are at times as funny as the show.
So for now I'm perfectly happy with my box set, it would really, really suck if this finally gets an R1 release only to be barebones.
Since Edgar and Simon have spoken about previous times they had offers to make an R1 set (Anchor Bay) that fell apart in trying to secure the music, it seems like the reason they've held out so long is just for the music. I imagine the music will be intact.
Old 03-04-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great news for any of you guys that haven't been able to pick up the R2 release.

I'll be holding onto my R2 box set though - I got it autographed by Edgar, Simon, and Nick at the Hott Fuzz screening in Atlanta last year!

If there's anything exclusive to the R1 release, I'll pick it up also.
Old 03-04-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm happy with the DVDs I've had for years...
Old 03-04-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
For me there is not reason to get this because I have the Region 2 set. I can't imagine the Region 1 set being any better...they usually pale in comparison to other regions.
Old 03-04-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Since Edgar and Simon have spoken about previous times they had offers to make an R1 set (Anchor Bay) that fell apart in trying to secure the music, it seems like the reason they've held out so long is just for the music. I imagine the music will be intact.
Keep in mind that some of the music in the original broadcast versions had to be replaced even for the R2 DVDs. The chances of this R1 release having all that music intact are slim. Music rights would have to be secured for songs from Huey Lewis and the News, Elmer Bernstein, J Geils Band, Don McLean, Spandau Ballet, and half a dozen others - and that's just for one episode ("Gatherings," s01e02). The best one can hope for is that what music substitutions that are made will be as unobtrusive as possible and that no scenes will be cut out completely. It would be nice if all the extras from the Collectors' Edition get ported over to soften the blow of any music substitutions - but many of those will run into music clearance issues of their own.
Old 03-05-08, 06:02 PM

Can't wait for this. Will be happier for a confirmed date though since I believe the date mentioned in that article was not a Tuesday.
Old 03-05-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder why I have a region free player. Everything I bought for it has been released in the US!

This is a good show.
Old 03-23-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm still bitter that The IT Crowd was rumored to have a R1 release on Sept 4, 2007, then was pushed forward to Feb 18, 2008, in concordance with the US version. But since the US version never got off the ground, that release seems to have been forgotten.

If the R1 release is comparable to the R2, I'll pick it up.

Odd that Amazon-UK doesn't list it as in stock now. Anyone know what's up with that? I looked at it last week and they had the full set for about £10 and now, nothing but Amazon marketplace dealers.
Old 03-23-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by RKillgore
Odd that Amazon-UK doesn't list it as in stock now. Anyone know what's up with that? I looked at it last week and they had the full set for about £10 and now, nothing but Amazon marketplace dealers.
Thought that was odd too but I was thinking they might just be out of stock.

Since they were out of it this weekend, I went ahead and ordered the R2 set from Sendit.com instead.
Old 03-24-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm still bitter that The IT Crowd was rumored to have a R1 release on Sept 4, 2007, then was pushed forward to Feb 18, 2008, in concordance with the US version. But since the US version never got off the ground, that release seems to have been forgotten.
Either Simon, Jess or Edgar (Simon I am fairly certain) said that he would be at Comic Con this year promoting this DVD. So it seems like they were planning to make a fairly big deal out of this before "Spaced US" and that the DVD's release was not inspired by the remake.
Old 03-24-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a Region-Free player, and would be happy to take someone's R2 copy off of their hands for a fair price.
Old 03-26-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36148

Simon reveals that the DVDs will have new audio commentaries, including guest appearances by Matt Stone, Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarantino, and (perhaps regrettably) Diablo Cody. I am presuming the old commentaries will be included too, but there is no explicit statement regarding it. He also repeats the info about promoting it at Comic Con. It's at the end of the interview.
Old 03-26-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

now i wish i didn't buy the UK release years ago...i hope the US release doesn't include everything from the UK release..
Old 03-27-08, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'll wait for the US version of the show.
"Spaced" was just a British remake of "Ned and Stacey", so why not go back to the source material?
Old 03-27-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by animatedude
now i wish i didn't buy the UK release years ago...i hope the US release doesn't include everything from the UK release..
What a horrible thing to say.

I also have the region 2, and I hope it has everything and more. I've already gotten more than my money's worth from it, and I would toss it in an instant for a comprehensive R1. I hate not being able to loan it out to people who I know will love it but the R2 won't play in their players.
Old 03-27-08, 02:59 PM
Banned

I hope it included everything from the R2 and more as well. Never seen this show and have almost bought the R2 off ebay a few times within the past year but decided to wait and am now glad I did. So naturally i hope all the commentaries and docs. are included in the R1 release.
Old 03-27-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kevin Smith,Simon Pegg,Edgar Wright all on 1 commentary! AWESOME now if only Bruce Campbell could be included to make the most classic commentary of all.
Old 03-27-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by TNAJason
Kevin Smith,Simon Pegg,Edgar Wright all on 1 commentary! AWESOME now if only Bruce Campbell could be included to make the most classic commentary of all.

That would make me seriously think about picking up the Region 1 set!!
Old 03-28-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LordStaxxus
"Spaced" was just a British remake of "Ned and Stacey", so why not go back to the source material?
I hope this post was a joke.
Old 03-29-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the R1 release is comparable to the R2, I'll pick it up.

Amazon-UK has Spaced back in stock now, with the £9.98 price tag, so I finally took the multi-region dive and ordered it along with the afore mentioned IT Crowd (order Series 1 & 2 separately was a lot cheaper than ordering the box set and as far as I can tell, no loss of content) and the 40th Anniversary Prisoner Set, thanks to this DVDTalk post and this comparison site.
For some reason, when I ordered, Spaced was discounted to £8.49, The Prisoner to £30.61, IT Crowd Series 1 to £6.78, but IT Crowd Series 2 remained at £7.97. Shipping for my whole order was £6.05. If you order Spaced by itself, it still has the £8.49 price, but shipping is £3.08 (about $23 total).
Old 03-29-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Great price on Spaced.

I'm still waiting on my copy from Sendit.com, which was about $8 more after shipping.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.