Reload this Page >

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder - Straight to DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder - Straight to DVD

Old 08-07-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
do they have any extras? i looked at the back at target and no extras were listed whatsoever. is this so?
From what I can remember from my glimpse last night there are two commentaries, two featurettes, and some trailers...
Old 08-07-08, 05:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
From what I can remember from my glimpse last night there are two commentaries, two featurettes, and some trailers...
on which dvd? ST1 was packed and wanted to know if this set retains any of that...
Old 08-07-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

on which dvd? ST1 was packed and wanted to know if this set retains any of that...
Oh I was talking about just the third film. If I remember correctly the first film is just the first disc from the 2-disc set that came out years ago.
Old 08-08-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do they have any extras? i looked at the back at target and no extras were listed whatsoever. is this so?
i do believe that st1 is just the same 1-disk edition repackaged into a slim pack.
Old 08-08-08, 04:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by hindolio
i do believe that st1 is just the same 1-disk edition repackaged into a slim pack.
thought so. thanks hind.
Old 08-10-08, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I tried sitting through this last night and got about half an hour into it and gave up. I'm giving it one more chance tonight. I'm definitely glad I netflixed versus purchased this one.
I've been through about 38 minutes so far. Nice to have Rico back, and I appreciate the occasional references to the original, but that's all this has going for it. Average acting, poor CGI, and a dull, meandering story that hasn't served much purpose yet.

One scene I thought was ridiculous:

Spoiler:
Dix Hauser gets into a brawl with the farmer, and the farmer kicks his ass while barely lifting a finger (exaggerated, but you get the point). Maybe I'm missing something, but Hauser is a trained military officer. Shouldn't he have had the farmer subdued before he was able to lay a solid punch? Doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I like Casper Van Dien, and I appreciate that he likes Johnny Rico so much that he wanted to reprise the role. But this thing needed a more compelling story. I'll give it a little more time to see if there's any improvement.

--THX
Old 08-10-08, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I'll give it a little more time to see if there's any improvement.
Well, it got better and it got worse at the same time. The religious angle felt very corny, especially at the end. And when the Sky Marshal

Spoiler:
went before the gargantuan brain bug,

I thought of Spock's brother coming face to face with the god of his pursuit in Star Trek V. The two stories aren't altogether different in that sense.

The problem, really, wasn't with the acting so much as the story. Hell, the original isn't exactly famous for its Oscar caliber performances, even though I do think the acting was better. You come up with an engaging narrative that captures people's attention, along with characters that are interesting and sympathetic, and the acting can be accepted, even embraced. But the story was just okay, though the Marauder Project was cool, and there was no one I really hoped would survive. I just didn't care that much.

Better than Starship Troopers 2, though. I'll give it that.

--THX
Old 08-10-08, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Better than Starship Troopers 2, though. I'll give it that.
Personally I rated them the same. Both were equally bad for various reasons and both had their good points for various reasons.
Old 08-10-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
ST2 was beyond bad going onto something awful. At least 3 had the satire back, which was the only reason why I even bothered watching it.
Old 08-17-08, 03:10 AM

I thought Starship Troopers 3 was surprisingly good. Starship Troopers 2 is roughly what I expect from a straight to video movie. This was much better. Still shows its budget and talent limitations. But ocassionally rises above them. And that giant bug at the end was damn creepy. Also, I thought it was funny how the religious girl instantly forgets about her husband-to-be seconds after he's killed.