DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Michael Clayton DVD PQ Question

Old 02-27-08, 09:23 PM

Michael Clayton DVD PQ Question

I was watching Michael Clayton tonight (for the first time) on DVD and I noticed a lot of problems with digital noise and "ghosting"/trailers. I haven't seen this while watching any other DVD or HDDVD (I'm upconverting with an HD-A2) and I even put a few other discs in with no problem after watching Michael Clayton.

The DVDTALK reviews both give video 4 1/2 stars...am I the only one seeing major issues with the DVD version? Also, I got this from Netflix...disc looked clean...and I even took it out a couple of times...thinking that maybe the A2 was acting up...

I thought it was a decent film, but it was close to unwatchable, especially in darker scenes. Anyway, just wanted to see if other people were noticing this problem.
Old 02-27-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I rented it from Netflix and I actually thought the standard dvd quality was very good, so maybe it was a bad disc.
Old 02-28-08, 07:24 AM

Thanks Willh51, do people get "bad discs"...I figured it was an all or nothing kind of a deal when it came to DVDs...either I get the picture or a get a bunch of digital blocks followed by a skip to the next chapter. I only wonder because I've never had a DVD have these kind of issues before.

I did find one review that stated that the DVD "...is plagued by too many instances of compression-related noise to be satisfying on a large projection screen." But again, that is the only negative review of the PQ that I could find.
Old 02-28-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A "bad disc" wouldn't cause the kind of problems you're seeing. A bad disc would cause lockups or pixelization, but it wouldn't cause graininess or ghosting.

I've only seen "Michael Clayton" on Blu-ray (Netflix rental), so I can't tell you if the DVD transfer is lacking.
Old 02-29-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched it on my girlfriends large HDTV, and normally DVDs look great on it. But her DVD player died recently so she replaced it with an Insignia from her bedroom. Micheal Clayton was the first movie we watched on it, and I witnessed all the issues you saw. The quality was horrible. I'm not sure if it was the DVD or the player though. :-\
Old 02-29-08, 01:21 AM

Thanks CKMorpheus, I was starting to think that I was the only one to notice this on the DVD. I'm interested to see if others are having this issue as well. I guess if I was really thinking I would have taken that disc and looked at it on another TV.
Old 02-29-08, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have found noise and dot crawl on quite a number of Warner's recent releases. I havent seen Michael Clayton but everything from The Departed, Blood Diamond, A Scanner Darkly, The Painted Veil, Ocean's 13, Harry Potter and the OOP has had this issue.