DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   "The Fall of the Roman Empire" - April 29th! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/525839-fall-roman-empire-april-29th.html)

GLENDALEFALCON 02-22-08 05:21 AM

"The Fall of the Roman Empire" - April 29th!

"The Fall of the Roman Empire"

Release Date - April 29th

Two-disc edition and a three-disc box set edition.

http://i29.tinypic.com/iw6wr6.jpg

starman9000 02-22-08 06:25 AM

Nice, I've been waiting for this one.

rexinnih 02-22-08 08:35 AM

Yes! I've been waiting for this one. Must ask, Any word on high def?

slop101 02-22-08 11:30 AM

Because of the recently found film elements, I'm hoping this will have a better transfer than El Cid did (not that El Cid's was bad).

Rad14 02-22-08 12:47 PM

IMHO, Always considered this to be an all star dud!

Far too long, elephantine pace and one I lost interest in pretty fast.

JOE29 02-22-08 01:38 PM

This looks good. I'll be getting this on release day. I've been waiting ever since I heard it was going to be released.

Carcosa 02-22-08 01:53 PM

Yes...as much as Charlton Heston is the BIG enchilada and the great fondness I have for EL CID, I think FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE is a better movie.

I realize I am in the minority on this one.

Is there any word on if it will have the new footage restored?

slop101 02-22-08 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Carcosa
Yes...as much as Charlton Heston is the BIG enchilada and the great fondness I have for EL CID, I think FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE is a better movie.

I realize I am in the minority on this one.

Add me to this "minority".

GLENDALEFALCON 02-22-08 03:11 PM

"Fall" is greatly superior to "El Cid" in just about every way.

Add me to the list as well!

NOT that I dislike "El Cid," but I just get sick of "El Cid" fans
bashing people for liking "Fall" than I've a got a bone to pick
with "El Cid" at the moment. Why can't we LIKE BOTH FILMS? UGH!!!

I wonder what the third disc will contain?

GLENDALEFALCON 03-01-08 04:24 PM

More info:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=12206

chris_sc77 03-01-08 04:40 PM

^Very interesting read. Thanks for the link to that.
I am really getting into these DD and Miriam collection releases. The Extras are fantastic.

Douglas R 03-02-08 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by GLENDALEFALCON
"Fall" is greatly superior to "El Cid" in just about every way.

Add me to the list as well!

NOT that I dislike "El Cid," but I just get sick of "El Cid" fans
bashing people for liking "Fall" than I've a got a bone to pick
with "El Cid" at the moment. Why can't we LIKE BOTH FILMS? UGH!!!

I agree. I like both films but FALL.... is definately superior. I don't know why some people love to constantly dismiss the film as if it's the worst film ever made. It's actuallly one of the best epics of all time with great production values, excellent performances and wonderful music. Seeing it in 70mm was one of the greatest cinematic experiences of my life.

Dr. Forrester 03-02-08 02:42 PM

As a fan of both El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire, I'm glad to see both finally get the treatment on DVD they deserve. Her sons may be schmucks, but Miriam had good taste!

John Landis' take on the Fall trailer makes for a fun listen.

Carcosa 03-03-08 08:10 AM

There is no mention of the semi-recently recovered footage being included....thats too bad.

I remember reading that Bronston very much wanted Heston for the role that eventially was played by Stephen Boyd. He declined, wanting a break from epics...only to do 55 DAY IN PEKING for for Bronston not long afterward. Although it was relatively contemporary compared to all the other historical epics he had AND would make....

Stephen Boyd was very good in the film anyway.

Giles 03-03-08 08:45 AM

AFI Silver and I assume Arclight will showcase this film via DLP in and around the disc's release - date TBA. Hopefully the Silver will have sorted out it's DLP system's glitches for this presentation.

GLENDALEFALCON 03-03-08 01:23 PM

Acutally, Heston didn't like the Livius character (too weak) and that's why he didn't
want to do the film. I doubt it had anything to do with wanting a break from epics.

Also, just because the news story, non-press release thing didn't mention
missing footage doesn't mean it won't be included. Lets just wait until the
full details are released.

Giles 03-03-08 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Yes! I've been waiting for this one. Must ask, Any word on high def?

“The Miriam Collection is a very personal selection of films,” said Harvey Weinstein. “The brand is not only about remastering films for the best picture and sound, but also to showcase the backstory of each film and develop compelling features that complement the title.”

uh, hello, bluray.... the Weinstein's need a kick to the head and ass to start releasing their films in the "best" possible way - HiDef.

chris_sc77 03-03-08 02:40 PM

NO they DON'T !!!!!!!!!! DVD is better than Blu-ray!
Please DO NOT RELEASE THESE IN a Hi-DEF format!

Giles 03-03-08 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
NO they DON'T !!!!!!!!!! DVD is better than Blu-ray!
Please DO NOT RELEASE THESE IN a Hi-DEF format!

are you smoking crack?

chris_sc77 03-03-08 02:48 PM

All of the Major studios who have been releasing film in the hi-def formats have been releasing shittier and shittier releases on DVD. I can only assume they are not focusing their efforts on what is STILL , (BY FAR) the best selling widely accepted home viewing medium for film.
I hope Weinstein focuses their efforts on just 1 home viewing medium; DVD. It is still No. 1 and will remain.

Giles 03-03-08 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
All of the Major studios who have been releasing film in the hi-def formats have been releasing shittier and shittier releases on DVD. I can only assume they are not focusing their efforts on what is STILL , (BY FAR) the best selling widely accepted home viewing medium for film.
I hope Weinstein focuses their efforts on just 1 home viewing medium; DVD. It is still No. 1 and will remain.

yes, I agree, but that's what the studio knows what the masses will buy, shit from the Hollywood grind mill. WB tried to release pre-1980 films to the HiDef community but it's largely still a niche market (i.e, Forbidden Planet). Until Criterion starts to release their catalog on bluray, I'm content with HDNet Movies and the only way to see some classics in HiDef.

Carcosa 03-04-08 07:50 PM

Acutally, Heston didn't like the Livius character (too weak) and that's why he didn't
want to do the film. I doubt it had anything to do with wanting a break from epics.

Also, just because the news story, non-press release thing didn't mention
missing footage doesn't mean it won't be included. Lets just wait until the
full details are released.

Yeah, maybe I remembered it wrong. I'll leaf back thru his ACTOR'S LIFE book and see if thats where I saw it. Its a great book...20 years of journal entries and his perspectives at the time along with occasional (then) current commentary is facinating reading.

And yes, all we can do is wait and see. I don't think there has been an official press release as of yet, so who knows for sure. Its interesting that there will be 3 discs. Possibly the film spread over 2 non-flipper platters I hope.

Carcosa 03-04-08 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
yes, I agree, but that's what the studio knows what the masses will buy, shit from the Hollywood grind mill. WB tried to release pre-1980 films to the HiDef community but it's largely still a niche market (i.e, Forbidden Planet). Until Criterion starts to release their catalog on bluray, I'm content with HDNet Movies and the only way to see some classics in HiDef.

I haven't noticed DVDs getting "shittier". The fact we are posting about the impending DVD-only release of "FALL" and the recent EL CID disc would certainly contradict that. I could sight about a dozen more examples off the top of my head. I don't think DVDs are going anywhere for a long while.

Dr. Forrester 03-04-08 08:28 PM

Acutally, Heston didn't like the Livius character (too weak) and that's why he didn't want to do the film. I doubt it had anything to do with wanting a break from epics.

That and based on what was stated in the El Cid extras, his burning loathing of Sophia Loren probably didn't help much either.

mike45 03-04-08 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Forrester
That and based on what was stated in the El Cid extras, his burning loathing of Sophia Loren probably didn't help much either.

What's not to like about Sophia Loren?