DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Walt Disney Treasures Wave VIII

Old 12-06-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Annette set is great and a fantastic representation of television (and life) during that era.
Old 12-06-08, 03:16 PM

Does anybody here know if "Dr. Syn" is going to be reprinted, perhaps in a more standard packaging?

As flabbergasted as I am at how quickly it sold out, I'm even more confused as to why the Disney Company would have made such a tiny print run, and then discontinue the title. Obviously, there's no benefit to anybody who wanted to buy the movie and didn't INSTANTLY jump on it, but what's the benefit for the studio? Cui bono?

Any knowledgeable Disney fans here have the story?
Old 12-06-08, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Doc_Tourneau View Post
Does anybody here know if "Dr. Syn" is going to be reprinted, perhaps in a more standard packaging?

As flabbergasted as I am at how quickly it sold out, I'm even more confused as to why the Disney Company would have made such a tiny print run, and then discontinue the title. Obviously, there's no benefit to anybody who wanted to buy the movie and didn't INSTANTLY jump on it, but what's the benefit for the studio? Cui bono?

Any knowledgeable Disney fans here have the story?
I would doubt that it is released again. That is one reason it is a limited
run..Look how long it took to release this one..
DG
Old 12-06-08, 07:04 PM

I was at Sam's Club today in Elmsford, NY and they had four copies of Dr. Syn just sitting there. I was tempted to buy them up and resell them at a tidy profit, but I know the feeling of searching for a rare disc and being frustrated at not finding it because of people who do just that.
Old 12-06-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming the reason for the small runs is that not a lot of people bought Disney Treasures in the last few years. Not necessarily due to lack of interest, I mean hell, has anyone even seen a commercial for one of them? Only time that they actually made news is when they got the rights back to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

The print runs have generally been getting smaller year after year, the line was even in danger of being shut down last year. I guess in this case Disney severely underestimated the desire for this particular title.

I wonder what's in store for next year, since as one review site (I think Ultimate Disney) pointed out, all the main animation sets are finished. Each treasure set previously had at least one "big name" cartoon to appeal to a wider audience. But either way, Leonard Maltin said that Treasures will continue.

Last edited by bluetoast; 12-06-08 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-06-08, 10:05 PM
Banned

To me Song of the South seems like the natural next step for the Treasure line now that Destino is coming on its own. They could also release Zorro as treasure, although they already sell the first season on the Disney Movie Club.
Old 12-07-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

man... so I guess I'm quite lucky for grabbing that Dr. Syn at the last minute (though at not so good price). My stuff will be shipped this week I hope.

Also I got my Chronological Donald Volume 4 this week, and noticed that they only make like 39,500 copy of it. It is kinda interesting since there's 165k Vol 1, 125k Vol 2 and 50k Vol 3. Hmmm....
Old 12-07-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
To me Song of the South seems like the natural next step for the Treasure line now that Destino is coming on its own. They could also release Zorro as treasure, although they already sell the first season on the Disney Movie Club.
I wonder how long Leonard Maltin's introduction/disclaimer to Song of the South would be.

Last edited by bluetoast; 12-07-08 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-07-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I wonder how long Leonard Maltin's introduction/disclaimer to Song of the South would be.
I'm thinking a full length audio commentary with Maltin saying "yeah this is how it supposed to be back then. Time changes everything"

Old 12-07-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I just snagged Dr. Syn at my local Best Buy for 29.99. I can't complain. Now I need to get that Chronological Donald v3, which I have not been able to find lately.

Then I would need Goofy and the first Silly Symphonies and I will have pretty much all the ones I wanted.
Old 12-07-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Holy shit, thats insane Syn is basically OOP and selling for so much. I bought the treasures at BB as soon as they came out. I havent even opened them yet.

So this volume was the last Donald? I hope they release a Chip N Dale next!
Old 12-07-08, 02:59 PM

I'm assuming the reason for the small runs is that not a lot of people bought Disney Treasures in the last few years. Not necessarily due to lack of interest, I mean hell, has anyone even seen a commercial for one of them? Only time that they actually made news is when they got the rights back to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

The print runs have generally been getting smaller year after year, the line was even in danger of being shut down last year. I guess in this case Disney severely underestimated the desire for this particular title.

I wonder what's in store for next year, since as one review site (I think Ultimate Disney) pointed out, all the main animation sets are finished. Each treasure set previously had at least one "big name" cartoon to appeal to a wider audience. But either way, Leonard Maltin said that Treasures will continue.
There are still enough theatrical shorts left that haven't yet made it into the Treasures line for one more Rarities volume. Given that, one more wave with animated shorts would be pretty easy to put together. Now, wave 10 on the other hand...
Old 12-07-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, I just saw a bunch of Dr. Syn Treasures at Costco yesterday. I'm not really sure I want it and I just spent a ton at Amazon this last week but I'd hate to miss out and decide I wanted it in a few months only to have to pay outrageous prices on the secondary market.
Old 12-07-08, 05:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Hmm, I just saw a bunch of Dr. Syn Treasures at Costco yesterday. I'm not really sure I want it and I just spent a ton at Amazon this last week but I'd hate to miss out and decide I wanted it in a few months only to have to pay outrageous prices on the secondary market.
Good thing about Costco if that you can buy it, and then 5 years later decide that you didn't need it and return it unopened.
Old 12-07-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Good thing about Costco if that you can buy it, and then 5 years later decide that you didn't need it and return it unopened.
You have a point. Maybe I'll take a trip over there tomorrow and see if there's any left.

Of course, me hanging onto an unopened DVD is like a drug addict keeping an unopened vile of crack...
Old 12-14-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
You might get your wish for Zorro as indicated on the UltimateDisney.com forums...

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/...=418776#418776

The forum indicates that the Zorro treasure may be comprised of the 4 one hour episodes of Season 3 that have never been released or/and two feature-length theatrical films made from the earlier series episodes: "The Sign of Zorro" and "Zorro the Avenger".
Season 1 is available on the Disney Movie Club and Season 2 is coming out in there too.
Old 12-14-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the first full episode of the Mickey Mouse Club featuring Annette, and I was like WTF @ the dance numbers on the set. I enjoyed the Annette segment and am looking forward to the rest of it, although I hope that damn maid isn't the narrator the entire time.
Old 12-14-08, 06:42 PM

I saw the first full episode of the Mickey Mouse Club featuring Annette, and I was like WTF @ the dance numbers on the set. I enjoyed the Annette segment and am looking forward to the rest of it, although I hope that damn maid isn't the narrator the entire time.
She doesn't. She is a character through the series, but not the narrator.
Old 12-18-08, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am getting DD V4 for Christmas. And Hopefully Dr. Syn.
Who was the name of the Prof. Duck? Was it Van Mallard?
And how many cartoons was he in?
Old 12-18-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ludwig Von Drake
Old 12-19-08, 09:18 AM

The DMC Zorro sets are colorized, and not well judging by the reviews.

The Disney "People and Places" series has not been released on DVD, although they may be more appropriate for the Legacy Collection established by True Life Adventures than the Treasures line.

Texas John Slaughter would be great to see on the Treasures, similar to Elfago Baca (which needs another volume). There are at least 50 unreleased pre-1980 Disney TV movies untapped on home video. I don't necessarily want to see "Pablo and the Dancing Chihuahua" from 1968, but "The Ghost of Cypress Swamp" with Vic Morrow sounds intriguing, as well as many others languishing in the Disney vaults. There is plenty of unreleased material for Disney to release, and more than enough collectors who would buy just about anything if they were done right.
Old 02-03-09, 12:45 AM

Re: Walt Disney Treasures Wave VIII

sorry if this is an inappropriate bump, but I picked up a Dr. Syn set today at Disneyland WITHOUT the tin. It was located at about 3 different stores in the park and none of them had the tin. It looks as if it were resealed by them, as it has the back cover usually located on the tins shrinkwrapped and the receipt says it is a tin. Kind of weird, but I really wanted the set and figured I could sell this one if I ever find a tin. It was also available at the store located at Downtown Disney if anyone didn't have a Disney pass and wanted one.
Old 02-03-09, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by eedoon View Post
man... so I guess I'm quite lucky for grabbing that Dr. Syn at the last minute (though at not so good price). My stuff will be shipped this week I hope.

Also I got my Chronological Donald Volume 4 this week, and noticed that they only make like 39,500 copy of it. It is kinda interesting since there's 165k Vol 1, 125k Vol 2 and 50k Vol 3. Hmmm....
Chronical Donald Vol. 4 is OOP like Dr. Syn. You can't find Vol. 4 anywhere unless you pay about $50.
Old 02-03-09, 11:55 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by darkhawk View Post
Chronical Donald Vol. 4 is OOP like Dr. Syn. You can't find Vol. 4 anywhere unless you pay about $50.
Not true. BestBuy.com has it for $29.99, that is where I got it from just recently.

Dr. Syn is true...but again, my local best buy had it for $29.99.
Old 02-03-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was still dead stock of Donald 4 at my local Best Buy too even as recently as this weekend. It is still available from the website as macnorton mentioned.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.