Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Indiana Jones Trilogy Special Edition ----> 5/13/08

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'll just be REALLY patient and get a set with all four movies.
Old 04-25-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I think I'll just be REALLY patient and get a set with all four movies.
You're assuming this will be the LAST movie? I wouldn't.
Old 04-26-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm quite happy with the first set. Unless there were new transfers, Blu-Ray or commentary, I can't imagine any reason to double-dip.

That said, it would be nice if Lucas didn't have to put his revisionist territorial piss on the package by changing the name of the first film. I don't remember ever hearing of a film called "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark".
Old 04-27-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
That said, it would be nice if Lucas didn't have to put his revisionist territorial piss on the package by changing the name of the first film. I don't remember ever hearing of a film called "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark".
Why is this an issue? It's not changed within in the film. It's there merely as a franchise indicator. Go get custom cover.
Old 04-27-08, 10:13 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
how many discs is this new complete set, 3 or 4?
Old 04-27-08, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Drop
Why is this an issue? It's not changed within in the film. It's there merely as a franchise indicator. Go get custom cover.
It's an issue because it's not the title of the film and new viewers and future generations might start calling it that because the packaging or advertising is how they might become introduced to the film. If you need a "franchise indicator" why not simply call the set something like "The Adventures of Indiana Jones" and leave the titles alone? That's what most other boxsets do.

It's also just dumb and unwieldy.
Old 04-28-08, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
It's an issue because it's not the title of the film and new viewers and future generations might start calling it that because the packaging or advertising is how they might become introduced to the film. If you need a "franchise indicator" why not simply call the set something like "The Adventures of Indiana Jones" and leave the titles alone? That's what most other boxsets do.

It's also just dumb and unwieldy.
Who gives a shit? So your future grandchildren might call it Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, big deal.

You're not one of those losers who starts frothing at the mouth when somebody says A New Hope instead of Star Wars, are you?
Old 04-28-08, 04:00 AM

I give a shit, genius. You're not one of those losers who can't tolerate a differing opinion, are you?
Old 04-28-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I give a shit, genius. You're not one of those losers who can't tolerate a differing opinion, are you?
Easy man, can't we all just get along?
Old 04-28-08, 09:15 AM

Um, I think you meant that comment for one post above mine.
Old 04-28-08, 11:19 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
Um, I think you meant that comment for one post above mine.
moving to The Meanies Forum...
Old 04-28-08, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Who gives a shit? So your future grandchildren might call it Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, big deal.

You're not one of those losers who starts frothing at the mouth when somebody says A New Hope instead of Star Wars, are you?
Reposted for easy reference.
Old 04-28-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keeping the original title on the cover would have been preferable, but I've never really had a problem with the variation. I know the real title, and newcomers to the franchise will also know when they play the DVD. Or the Blu-ray. Or whatever takes over from that. Now, had the Nazi's weapons been altered, and they were suddenly threatening Indy with ever more dangerous walkie-talkies, I would have been pissed.

--THX
Old 04-29-08, 09:06 AM
Banned

What has not been posted is that this is the "Special Geriatric Edition" designed to hit the shelves in time for Mothers' & Fathers' Days.

Special Bonus goodies include:

For the Guys: A vial of Cialas, a tube of Ben-Gay, and an 8mm 5-minute short of Little Egypt performing in a tent show.

For the Gals: A Skull locket including one certified gray hair from Indy's chest, a negligee featuring exclusive tummy control, and a Danielle Steele short story featuring Sean Connery romancing all three of the Indy babes.

For both: Exclusive Indy reading glasses and a bottle of Geritol.

(The wife & I are eagerly awaiting this release in time for our 30th Anniversary).

Also, the "Temple" re-release is rumored to have a deleted scene restored in which the temple priest reaches in & yanks out the heart of Jar Jar Binks.

If this is true, it is well worth the double-dip.
Old 04-29-08, 11:00 AM

So is it official that these May 08 new releases are the same remasters from the previous box set? No upgrade of video quality?
Old 04-29-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tardo317
So is it official that these May 08 new releases are the same remasters from the previous box set? No upgrade of video quality?
May 13th, and yes, they're the same transfers as the previous sets.
Old 04-30-08, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
May 13th, and yes, they're the same transfers as the previous sets.
And not only that but there's no fourth disc -- no "Making Of" or any of the supplements from the 4-disc box set from 2003. No trailers, etc. Basically just a group of new featurettes that mostly hype up THE CRYSTAL SKULL.

A definite "pass" if you already own the original DVD box set.
Old 05-01-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First review up of the new Raiders of the Lost Ark:

http://www.dvdmg.com/raidersofthelostarkse.shtml
Old 05-01-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, staying with the old discs. Thanks for that link.
Old 05-01-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, a little history, a little love, and a special effect breakdown. We can probably expect more or less the same from the other two. Don't know if that's worth $40 (current price at Best Buy). Didn't get the Die Hard re-release set for the same reason.

--THX
Old 05-01-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i wonder if the 3 new single disc special editions come with slipsleeve covers?
Old 05-02-08, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info on the new "features", they suck, so I'm sticking with the original boxset. It is really lame for such an epic trilogy like this to have what they call "Special Editions" still released as measly single discs.
Old 05-02-08, 08:57 AM

It sucks, I want nothing to do with these new releases, but I've been waiting ever since the day the original box set came out (Oct. 2003?) to replace my wonky Last Crusade disc. Seriously, the first time I took it out of the case to watch it, it skipped, and it has skipped ever since.

Now at least I can replace that disc. I don't even think I'll keep the new case just so the other cases will match in the old box set I have. Sucks though, this will surely awaken the completist in me now that I'm going to have one Indy DVD with special features and two that are barebones.
Old 05-02-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HTF has a review of all three discs and the special features of each. Some of it sounds kind of cool. It would certainly compliment the information on the 2003 set. But worth $40?

--THX
Old 05-02-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
HTF has a review of all three discs and the special features of each. Some of it sounds kind of cool. It would certainly compliment the information on the 2003 set. But worth $40?

--THX
Watched the special features today - I agree they compilment the previous release, but are not must-have. Mainly a lot of new interviews discussing most of the same things we heard on the previous edition's documentary. Still there was some new footage here that I hadn't seen before (including footage of the mechanical snakes that were never used in Raiders and a funny outtake from Crusade where Connery goes "I thought I lost you, boy" and promptly smacks Ford across the face).

Bottom line - if you're a completist or die-hard fan, you'll probably get your money's worth. If not, you can probably live without this set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.