DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tremors TV Series July 22nd

Old 03-19-10, 04:17 PM

Re: Tremors TV Series July 22nd

Not widescreen, terrible cover art, and the episodes are out of order on the discs. Really out of order- the last episode of the show is second on the DVDs. I'm glad to have any release at all, but it wouldn't have killed someone somewhere along the line to take ten minutes and see if the episode order was even vaguely correct.
Old 03-20-10, 02:07 PM
Banned

I don't think that the monster on the front is a graboid. It has eyes, which graboids don't have. It has a tongue, which graboids don't have. and graboids definately don't have the horns that the thing on the cover has. It's the tongue-tentacles that have the horns.
Old 03-21-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
I don't think that the monster on the front is a graboid. It has eyes, which graboids don't have. It has a tongue, which graboids don't have. and graboids definately don't have the horns that the thing on the cover has. It's the tongue-tentacles that have the horns.
It's been a while since I've seen the first movie, but don't the graboids have tongue looking things that shoot out of their mouths to grab people?
Old 03-21-10, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
It's been a while since I've seen the first movie, but don't the graboids have tongue looking things that shoot out of their mouths to grab people?
Yes but they look like sea-snakes, and nothing like what is on the dvd cover.
Old 03-22-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JustJoan View Post
Not widescreen, terrible cover art, and the episodes are out of order on the discs. Really out of order- the last episode of the show is second on the DVDs. I'm glad to have any release at all, but it wouldn't have killed someone somewhere along the line to take ten minutes and see if the episode order was even vaguely correct.
I think the episodes are in correct order, but Sci-Fi changed them around and got alternate scenes which are present in these episodes. But I never caught the show when it originally aired.
Old 03-22-10, 01:57 PM

They're not, unfortunately. The order they're in on the DVDs is not only drastically off the production order, it doesn't make any sense. There isn't a ton of character development on the show, but there is some, and it's downright bizarre to have the paranoid nutbar and the new guy bonded and calling themselves partners in the "second" episode. In the thirteenth, fine. I suspect the DVD order is the original broadcast order (which was wrong), though it's been too long for me to remember. Hulu has them in the correct order, minus the two episodes not posted, and for once IMDB is also right. If it's not the sort of thing you notice or if you don't mind switching discs a lot, it's not a problem. But it does bug me.
Old 03-22-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're not, unfortunately. The order they're in on the DVDs is not only drastically off the production order, it doesn't make any sense. There isn't a ton of character development on the show, but there is some, and it's downright bizarre to have the paranoid nutbar and the new guy bonded and calling themselves partners in the "second" episode. In the thirteenth, fine. I suspect the DVD order is the original broadcast order (which was wrong), though it's been too long for me to remember. Hulu has them in the correct order, minus the two episodes not posted, and for once IMDB is also right. If it's not the sort of thing you notice or if you don't mind switching discs a lot, it's not a problem. But it does bug me.
You are misinformed; the order of the episodes on the DVD is the correct production order.

To address your concern of something not making sense within the context of the show's timeline...If I remember correctly, one of the episodes includes an opening and closing scene that frames the entire episode as a flashback; this was done because SciFi aired the episode later than it should have been. The scenes make more sense during the initial run because they were thrown in at the last minute to fit inside the timeline, but when viewed in the correct production order seem out of place.

"Shriek & Destroy" was the intended second-episode, but SciFi aired it last; on the DVD release it is indeed the second episode.

Last edited by kstublen; 03-22-10 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 05:40 PM

If I remember correctly, one of the episodes includes an opening and closing scene that frames the entire episode as a flashback
That's "Project 4-12." The discontinuity in the other episodes lies in the main dialogue, not in any framing device. But hey, watch them how you want.
Old 03-22-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's "Project 4-12." The discontinuity in the other episodes lies in the main dialogue, not in any framing device. But hey, watch them how you want.
I watched them in the order they are shown on the DVD. That is the production order. That is the correct viewing order. You cite IMDB's episode listing as correct? Why don't you check that again; because they list the order in which the episodes were aired and then under the FAQ they explain that the episodes were aired out of order and give the correct production order (the order they are in on the DVD).

But perhaps that isn't enough for you? What if I told you that one of the creators of the Tremors Franchise said you were 100% wrong? S. S. Wilson (IMDB) is one of the main producers, directors, and writers behind the four movies and the TV series and on his own website he has an FAQ section where this very issue is addressed. Here is what he says:

Q: was the intended play order of the episodes?

A: Believe it or not, TV production is so frenetic, you don't remember what you did. You just write as fast as you can and respond to the daily emergencies. But the show's script coordinator Suzanne Levine has reconstructed it for us. So, here are the scripts for the series in the order they were written. This was also the order in which we intended them to be aired, but as you all now know, SciFi channel thought you'd enjoy the show more if it made less sense, and aired them out of order.

Episode 1 - Feeding Frenzy
Episode 2 - Shriek and Destroy
Episode 3 - Blast from the Past
Episode 4 - Hit and Run
Episode 5 - Project 4-12
Episode 6 - Ghost Dance
Episode 7 - Night of the Shriekers
Episode 8 - A Little Paranoia Among Friends
Episode 9 - Flora or Fauna
Episode 10 - Graboid Rights
Episode 11 - Water Hazard
Episode 12 - The Sounds of Silence
Episode 13 - The Key
And just in case you don't believe me, here is the link to the question and answer on his website.

That is the order on the DVD. Ready to admit that you are wrong yet?
Old 03-31-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sigh. This show was 16:9 and it's been released as 4:3
Old 01-21-11, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread poisoned my mind 10 months ago. I bought this and just spent 30mins researching the correct order of the series because of the seeds planted by JustJoan.

I knew I should have looked here first.

Ok, the shows are in correct production order but are they the pre-edited version?

Originally Posted by Tremors Wiki
When aired by the Scifi Channel, the series was shown out of order, with Episode 1 ("Feeding Frenzy") and Episode 6 ("Ghost Dance") shown on the premiere night. The actual second episode produced, "Shriek and Destroy" was the final episode shown. This out-of-order airing required re-editing of episodes, including a new opening sequence for Episode 5 ("Project 4-12") which actually aired as the 8th episode, and which introduced the character of Cletus Poffenburger (played by Christopher Lloyd). The re-edited episode explained Cletus' appearance in a flashback sequence, occurring prior to Episode 6/"Ghost Dance" which had actually aired as the second in the series. The correct order sequence of the episodes was revealed by the weblinks for the Scifi Channel's episode guides, which correctly numbered the episodes' individual webpages, e.g.[1].
Old 01-25-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No. The edited versions are used.
Old 01-25-11, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Sigh. This show was 16:9 and it's been released as 4:3
You sure about that ? I don't recall it being widescreen.
Old 07-05-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand the production order and the airing order but does anyone know the BEST order to watch the DVD versions in? Should I skip the Project 4-12 episode and watch it near the end?
Old 10-04-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone done any custom cover art? I really still don't like the catfish coming up through the ground.