DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Looney Tunes: Where's Yosemite Sam? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/525488-looney-tunes-wheres-yosemite-sam.html)

bshassel 02-18-08 01:42 PM

Looney Tunes: Where's Yosemite Sam?

I have the first three sets of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections and I'm disappointed at the lack of Yosemite Sam toons. How many toons include him on Volumes 4 & 5? From the lists I've seen it doesn't look like many, only a couple. Does anyone know when we should see more Yosemite Sam?

Disc-Flipper 02-18-08 03:50 PM

Here's a list of Yosemite Sam shorts released on the Looney Tunes Gold Collection:

Volume 1 Disc 1: Best of Bugs Bunny
4. High Diving Hare
9. Big House Bunny
13. Ballot Box Bunny

Volume 1 Disc 4: Looney Tunes All Stars
2. Bunker Hill Bunny

Volume 2 Disc 1: Bugs Bunny
8. "Bugs Bunny Rides Again" (Bugs Bunny/Yosemite Sam - 1948)

Volume 4 Disc 1: Bugs Bunny Classics
1. Roman Legion-Hare
6. Southern Fried Rabbit
10. Sahara Hare
14. Knighty Knight Bugs

Volume 4 Disc 3: Speedy Gonzales
13. Panchos Hideway (Sam-lookalike)

Volume 5 Disc 1: Bugs Bunny and Daffy
1. 14 Carrot Rabbit
3. Buccaneer Bunny
5. A Star Is Bored

I'm a Sam-fan too. We could certainly use more Sam on DVD. It would be cool if Warner Bros. had character-themed sets like they did in the VHS days. There are other characters like Pepe Le Pew, Foghorn Leghorn and Marvin the Martian which have even less cartoons released on DVD. I've assembled my own DVD collection of Sam cartoons from laserdisc and VHS transfers. In time, hopefully all Looney Tunes cartoons are released on DVD.

JeremyM 02-18-08 05:29 PM

Yeah, I'm really waiting for some more Foghorn Leghorn shorts to show up, as well as Sam.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Marvin the Martian only in a small handful of shorts? Yeah, wikipedia shows him in 5 shorts total from the 40s to the 60s.

bshassel 02-19-08 06:56 AM

Thank you Disc-Flipper for the list. It's helpful, but a realization that we get too few at one time of his cartoons released. With these gold collections I really thought we would be getting more than we have. I'm not complaining mind you, I'm happy they are being released.

Michael Corvin 02-19-08 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
It would be cool if Warner Bros. had character-themed sets like they did in the VHS days.

That's I thought too when they started doing these. Something along the lines of Walt Disney Treasures. After watching a couple of the sets I realize why they don't do this. A lot of these cartoons are very redundant. On their own it isn't a bad thing, but watching some of them back-to-back would be monotonous.

Egon's Ghost 02-19-08 12:00 PM

So wait a minute...the first Sam short, Hare Trigger, is not on any of the sets??

Disc-Flipper 02-19-08 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
So wait a minute...the first Sam short, Hare Trigger, is not on any of the sets??

No, it's shameful for five sets which only come out once a year, isn't it?

Egon's Ghost 02-19-08 01:23 PM

One of several reasons these DVD sets just perplex me. They put on a crappy late-period Foghorn just because of Egghead, but don't have the first Yosemite Sam (not just for posterity's sake, but the damn thing is good), The Wild Hare, etc.

Michael Corvin 02-19-08 01:45 PM

They should definitely do at least two of these a year if they even hope to release them all on DVD. We will have moved on to holographic discs by the time they finish releasing all of them on DVD.

mzupeman2 02-19-08 04:15 PM

There's always going to be cartoons that will be favs of people that would not have been released yet, or ever even. It's the 'Golden' collection, not the complete collection folks.

Disc-Flipper 02-19-08 06:06 PM

How complete was the Golden Age of Looney Tunes on Laserdisc?

PaulNJ21 02-19-08 09:57 PM

They have to save good stuff for future releases. It isn't like each release is the best Looney Tunes not released.

Upper pylon 3 02-20-08 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost

Actually, Hare Trigger is included in one of the documentaries on Vol 3-Disc 3. It is not restored, but it is there.

darkhawk 02-20-08 04:15 PM

Which volume has it where Sam is from outer space and send stupid robots to capture Bugs?

Disc-Flipper 02-20-08 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Which volume has it where Sam is from outer space and send stupid robots to capture Bugs?

That is "Lighter Than Hare" and isn't on DVD yet.

Disc-Flipper 02-20-08 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3
Actually, Hare Trigger is included in one of the documentaries on Vol 3-Disc 3. It is not restored, but it is there.

The entire short is there? I'll need to check that out...

Upper pylon 3 02-21-08 11:29 AM

The entire short is there? I'll need to check that out...

I'm not sure if it is 100% uncut, but if not, it is close.

Egon's Ghost 02-21-08 04:28 PM

How complete was the Golden Age of Looney Tunes on Laserdisc?

Good question.
And it also is not marred by DVNR.

I've read that Wild Hare is also on the documentary - is this so?
If that and Hare Trigger are there, great, but why not restored, on any sets? These are important shorts. Lame.

darkhawk 03-04-08 06:20 PM

That is "Lighter Than Hare" and isn't on DVD yet.

Might be in Vol. 6

Editor, The JEI 03-04-08 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by bshassel
Does anyone know when we should see more Yosemite Sam?

Sadly, he's a victim of modern political correctness, along with his distasteful cousin, Antisemite Sam.

Kidding.

E Unit 03-04-08 10:51 PM

Okay, so someone help me out with this one. Which Yosimite Sam/Bugs Bunny one is the one where they are in a climbing competition to reach the top of the Matterhorn for "50,000 Kronkites"? Is that in one of the sets? I'm dying to see this one again.

Upper pylon 3 03-05-08 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Editor, The JEI
Sadly, he's a victim of modern political correctness, along with his distasteful cousin, Antisemite Sam.

Kidding.

rotfl

Disc-Flipper 03-05-08 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Okay, so someone help me out with this one. Which Yosimite Sam/Bugs Bunny one is the one where they are in a climbing competition to reach the top of the Matterhorn for "50,000 Kronkites"? Is that in one of the sets? I'm dying to see this one again.

"Piker's Peak" - and it wasn't released on VHS or Laserdisc either.

E Unit 03-05-08 11:13 AM

Thanks! Now where the hell is it in these collections? I guess I can pray it'll be in Volume 6.

Disc-Flipper 03-05-08 12:15 PM

Yup, the mountain-climbing one is probably my favorite Yosemite Sam cartoon.
I imagine some cartoons are in better shape than others and need less restoration.