DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   71 Seconds of Spanish Speaking Before Beginning of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/525378-71-seconds-spanish-speaking-before-beginning-guess-whos-coming-dinner.html)

oldchuckles 02-16-08 11:30 PM

71 Seconds of Spanish Speaking Before Beginning of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
 
I just started to watch the new edition of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. When I pressed the "play" button to start the movie, instead of the movie beginning, there was an annoying 71-second kitchen scene with a family talking in Spanish! There were no subtitles or dubbing! After the scene was over, there was an announcer talking in Spanish who was hyping something related to this scene.

After this jarring opening, the actual movie, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, started to play... and yes, thankfully, it was in English!

Is my disc defective with this annoying Spanish advertisement before the movie begins? Can someone else check their copy of this DVD title to see if the Spanish scene/commercial is is a common feature on all DVD copies of this title? My disc was part of the 5-film Stanley Kramer Film Collection which was purchased at Costco for $37.49.

Al_Tahoe 02-16-08 11:49 PM


Originally Posted by oldchuckles
My disc was part of the 5-film Stanley Kramer Film Collection which was purchased at Costco for $37.49.

No wonder Costco can sell so cheaply!

The Lurker 02-17-08 12:04 AM

It sounds like your player could have its firmware set for Spanish language. Sometimes a disc will have different warnings/start up sequence content depending on what language the player's firmware is set for.

oldchuckles 02-17-08 12:09 AM


Originally Posted by The Lurker
It sounds like your player could have its firmware set for Spanish language. Sometimes a disc will have different warnings/start up sequence content depending on what language the player's firmware is set for.

Thanks for the comment. But the main feature plays in English and I have never screwed around with the foreign language stuff on my DVD player. That is why I am hoping someone who purchases the new version of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner can tell me if this is a system-wide gaffe or maybe my DVD player is actually going senile!

oldchuckles 02-17-08 01:54 AM


Originally Posted by The Lurker
It sounds like your player could have its firmware set for Spanish language. Sometimes a disc will have different warnings/start up sequence content depending on what language the player's firmware is set for.

Well, Lurker, you were absolutely correct in your analysis!

I went and checked my DVD Setup to see if there was anything meaningful to your comments. The Language Setup was as follows: DVD Menu: "English" (which sounded right!)and the audio setup was as follows: Audio: Original (which apparently was the default setting). I changed "Original" to "English" and replayed the beginning of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. To my relief, the 71-second Spanish-language commercial had disappeared! :banana:

I feel sorry for Spanish-speaking folks who have to endure Spanish commercials before they can enjoy a movie after paying Sony:bmonkey: hard-earned money to purchase the DVD! Thanks again for helping a senior citizen get rid of that damned Spanish-language commercial!

TheDuke 02-17-08 03:17 AM

Odd, this sounds like the piece of hidden footage on the Prince of Darkness DVD I was posting about. I wonder if this is the same sort of thing?

domino harvey 02-17-08 03:43 AM

That's just the help. After all, the titular dinner didn't prepare itself

The Lurker 02-17-08 11:56 AM

Cool, I'm glad that worked. It is strange that "original" to your player or the disc was Spanish.

oldchuckles 02-17-08 04:10 PM


Originally Posted by The Lurker
Cool, I'm glad that worked. It is strange that "original" to your player or the disc was Spanish.

Yeah, I don't understand that either. My audio language menu also has "Espanol" (for Spanish), but my DVD player was set on "Original" which was causing the problem. I tested this twice (back and forth) and each time I selected "Original," the 71-seconds Spanish commercial would start just before the actual movie would begin!

bluetoast 02-17-08 07:43 PM

I didn't even know these types of hidden commercials existed...learned something new.

Trevor 02-21-08 02:10 PM


Originally Posted by oldchuckles
Yeah, I don't understand that either. My audio language menu also has "Espanol" (for Spanish), but my DVD player was set on "Original" which was causing the problem. I tested this twice (back and forth) and each time I selected "Original," the 71-seconds Spanish commercial would start just before the actual movie would begin!

So the commercial doesn't even play if you have the dvd player set to english?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.