DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Anchor Bay to re-release Tenebre and Phenemona (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/525212-anchor-bay-re-release-tenebre-phenemona.html)

Matthew Ackerly 02-14-08 04:58 PM

Anchor Bay to re-release Tenebre and Phenemona
 
http://www.darkdreams.org/darkdreams.html



"anchor bay boxset
This summer anchor bay are putting out special editions of tenebre and phenomena - which explains why blue underground hasn't cranked them out over the last year like the rest of the argento catalog. Also, these two titles are in a box set that also includes do you like hitchcock?, the card player and trauma. "



Sweet!

riotinmyskull 02-14-08 05:00 PM

i can finally own phenemona and a region 1 version of tenebre!

islandclaws 02-14-08 05:17 PM

Wonder if this will be the FULL uncut version of Tenebre? I hope these both get brand-spanking new transfers and extras. Tenebre is one of my favorite Argento flicks.

kefrank 02-14-08 05:21 PM

i didn't even realize that the original releases were out of print. i have the Deep Red/Tenebre set from 2001 and haven't watched it in forever.

gorgo99 02-14-08 05:50 PM

hopefully anamorphic this time

alfonsosoriano 02-14-08 06:06 PM

I want them all!

Geofferson 02-14-08 10:30 PM

I'm in for the box set.

InnocentBlood 02-14-08 11:02 PM

yeah me too - i was pissed to find out that my copy of Phenomena was dead right off the shrink wrap when i wanted to watch it as part of last year's October Horror Movie Challenge :(

Matthew Chmiel 02-15-08 12:45 AM

I could honestly not give two shits about the box set. I already own The Card Player and Do You Like Hitchcock (one day I'll pick up Trauma). I'm actually surprised the Demons films aren't included considering they were Volume 2 of the limited edition Dario Argento sets years ago (which I own all three volumes of).

I just want Trauma and Phenomena in anamorphic.

Julie Walker 02-15-08 02:42 AM


Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
yeah me too - i was pissed to find out that my copy of Phenomena was dead right off the shrink wrap when i wanted to watch it as part of last year's October Horror Movie Challenge :(

Contact AB and they'll easily send you a corrected copy! I did that with Opera which died on me before I could watch the movie! I was able to watch the trailers,and then when I tried to watch the movie days later. It wouldn't work at all.

I also remembering renting Phenomena via netflix when I first got a dvd player and free trial on netflix. The discs died about an hour into the film. I then wound up buying one of the double feature sets with the corrected version before I saw the rest of the film finally.

Even if you plan to get the new release. It'd be a good idea to get a corrected copy of the first Phenomena release. That way it'll be sellable and not worthless in its current state.

riotinmyskull 02-15-08 04:59 AM


Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I could honestly not give two shits about the box set. I already own The Card Player and Do You Like Hitchcock (one day I'll pick up Trauma). I'm actually surprised the Demons films aren't included considering they were Volume 2 of the limited edition Dario Argento sets years ago (which I own all three volumes of).

I just want Trauma and Phenomena in anamorphic.

probably because demons and demons 2 weren't directed by argento.

Tenacious D 02-15-08 06:13 AM


Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
probably because demons and demons 2 weren't directed by argento.

I think he knows that Argento didn't direct those. He meant since they were previously released as part of the Dario Argento Collection by Anchor Bay, he's surprised they weren't again this time.

Anyway, I'll be glad to get anamorphic versions of Tenebre and Phenomena. I'm not really interested in the rest, but if the box set is cheap enough, I'll bite.

Disc-Flipper 02-15-08 10:45 AM

I'd like to see the shorter cut of "Deep Red" without the expository Italian comedy scenes thrown in. Still no "Four Flies" because the rights are owned by two parties I heard. How about a Dario Masters of Horror disc with "Pelts" and "Jenifer" together?

InnocentBlood 02-15-08 10:52 AM


Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Contact AB and they'll easily send you a corrected copy! I did that with Opera which died on me before I could watch the movie! I was able to watch the trailers,and then when I tried to watch the movie days later. It wouldn't work at all.

I also remembering renting Phenomena via netflix when I first got a dvd player and free trial on netflix. The discs died about an hour into the film. I then wound up buying one of the double feature sets with the corrected version before I saw the rest of the film finally.

Even if you plan to get the new release. It'd be a good idea to get a corrected copy of the first Phenomena release. That way it'll be sellable and not worthless in its current state.

i don't think that would apply to me since i don't live in the US but thank u anyway :)

Giles 02-15-08 10:36 PM

I hope Phenomena is the longer cut - that I own on VHS (from the Japanese laserdisc.)

cracksky 02-16-08 05:42 PM

These two releases better be perfect after all we've been through with Argento titles. Tenebre needs all its footage intact (101 minutes) including the correct number of stabbings in the flashbacks. Proper aspect ratio (1.85:1 - Flat). Color correction. Original audio tracks in addition to whatever new mix they add. Plus, don't forget to include the commentary from the previous release since it's OOP anyway and you own the rights to it AB.

As far as Phenomena, this release must be the 116 minute Integral version and (as you did with Deep Red) you can add default subtitles to the section that is only available in Italian. Aspect ratio of 1.66:1 - Flat. Same as above for the rest.

MTRodaba2468 02-23-08 10:23 PM

My friend John will love this. We were just talking about Tenebre just the other day.

Matthew Chmiel 02-24-08 03:05 AM


Originally Posted by cracksky
These two releases better be perfect after all we've been through with Argento titles. Tenebre needs all its footage intact (101 minutes) including the correct number of stabbings in the flashbacks. Proper aspect ratio (1.85:1 - Flat). Color correction. Original audio tracks in addition to whatever new mix they add. Plus, don't forget to include the commentary from the previous release since it's OOP anyway and you own the rights to it AB.

As far as Phenomena, this release must be the 116 minute Integral version and (as you did with Deep Red) you can add default subtitles to the section that is only available in Italian. Aspect ratio of 1.66:1 - Flat. Same as above for the rest.

IIRC, wasn't the UK Anchor Bay release of Tenebre uncut? I know the transfer isn't as strong as the US release, but it is a step in the right direction come this new release.

To be honest, I don't want Phenomena as the Integral Version. The two scenes add nothing to the mix. Seamless branching would be cool, but Anchor Bay has never done that and most likely never will. I would prefer the international 110 minute cut as the main feature with the two extra scenes as bonus features.

I still need to pick up the anamorphic versions of Demons and Demons 2. Does anyone know how they look? Are they worth the $20 to upgrade from my LE set?

Giles 02-25-08 08:13 AM

what Anchor Bay/Starz NEEDS to do is release these on Bluray.

Zodiac_Speaking 02-25-08 03:04 PM

I talked to Anchor Bay reps the other day at a con, and they said they're discussing what titles they're looking for a second half '08 blu ray releases. I asked can you give me a hint, and they just said you can probably guess.

Also the Argento boxset with all five will be in a nice tin box, much like the Halloween 4 tin was.

ThePhantomGoat 02-25-08 08:22 PM


Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Also the Argento boxset with all five will be in a nice tin box, much like the Halloween 4 tin was.


Hopefully its either cheap or they offer these new discs by themselves, because I already own the others.

And on the subject of more AB blu rays, my bet is Hellraiser (and possibly HellBound) will be part of the next series of hi-def discs from them. Aside from that... I dunno? maybe Halloween 4 and 5?

Giles 02-25-08 08:49 PM


Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
I talked to Anchor Bay reps the other day at a con, and they said they're discussing what titles they're looking for a second half '08 blu ray releases. I asked can you give me a hint, and they just said you can probably guess.

Also the Argento boxset with all five will be in a nice tin box, much like the Halloween 4 tin was.

uh, Evil Dead (hope bout including that missing commentary from the latest edition of the film)

- Hellraiser (hey AB any luck finding an uncut version of the film???)

Zodiac_Speaking 02-26-08 06:32 PM

My guess is the more popular titles, as in Halloween 4/5 and Hellraiser and Phantasm. I intially thought Suspiria, but forgot Blue Underground owns the title now.

Giles 02-27-08 08:44 AM


Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
My guess is the more popular titles, as in Halloween 4/5 and Hellraiser and Phantasm. I intially thought Suspiria, but forgot Blue Underground owns the title now.

I thought the Weinsteins own the rights to 'Suspiria' - as for Blue Underground starting to release on bluray would be sublime.

Zodiac_Speaking 02-27-08 10:37 AM

Maybe they do I thought I read that as they got Mother of Tears and were planning a remake of Suspiria, but they acknowledged BU having it.

BU releasing in Blu? Greatness.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.