DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   There Will Be Blood April 8th? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/525127-there-will-blood-april-8th.html)

DrStrangeL0ve71 02-13-08 07:47 PM

There Will Be Blood April 8th?

Taken from cigarettesandredvines.com the "definitive p.t. anderson resource".

The DVD will be released on April 8th, 2008 on a 2-disc collector’s edition. The cover is very classy; personally, I was hoping they’d use the original one-sheet “bible” poster, but this isn’t too bad either — it’s an image of Daniel Plainview looking down into the oil well, taken from a frame near the beginning of the movie. DDL is credited at the top; in the center lies the title “There Will Be Blood” and directly underneath “written for the screen and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson” and at the very bottom “2-Disc Collector’s Edition”.
An older post goes into some detail about possible special features

> there is no commentary track, nor will there ever probably be one again. paul mentioned to me how alot of the buzz has been taken from doing them because people quote them back verbatim to him in interviews and fun/flippant comments are regarded as gospel. (not a quote, but the gist of what was said)

> the behind-the-scenes footage we reported ages ago that was being shot by austin lynch will, as of this point, not be included on the dvd as a ‘that moment’ style feature. paul said it all turned out wonderfully but that the footage might take away the magic of the film itself saying “it’s just a bunch of people in a desert standing around making a movie.”

> there is an extremely old documentary/footage that was found about mining and oil production from the era. they are planning to cut in jonny greenwood’s score over top of it and make a presentation out of it.

i can’t remember anything else specifically sticking out, but i’m sure there will be tastes of the usual things (trailers, a cut scene or two etc.) more updates as i get them.

uncle-frank 02-13-08 07:56 PM

definatley buying it regardless when its being released

Dr. Mantle 02-13-08 09:16 PM

That really sucks about P.T. Anderson not recording anymore commentary tracks. The one he did for Boogie Nights is one of the best I've ever heard.

gerrythedon 02-13-08 09:20 PM

... also a 2-Disc HD-DVD version.

chris_sc77 02-13-08 09:35 PM

Damnit! I knew that because I loved this film it wouldn't have commentary on it.

domino harvey 02-13-08 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Damnit! I knew that because I loved this film it wouldn't have commentary on it.

Anderson said that after the Boogie Nights commentary, people kept asking him about things he said off the cuff during the track and it got to become too much of a liability, so he's never planning to do another commentary track ever again

chris_sc77 02-13-08 09:44 PM

Well that certainly sucks then. I have been hoping for a re-release of Magnolia with commentary.
Couldn't someone do commentary on this? Jonny Greenwood? Paul Dano? The kid who played "his son"? A commentary that consisted of nothing but audio clips from the "milkshake" speech for 2 hrs. and 38 minutes?

MTRodaba2468 02-13-08 10:27 PM

Well, I'll be buying it.

RagingBull80 02-13-08 10:56 PM

Definately will be buying this the Tuesday it arrives. It's disappointing there's not going to be a commentary track but I'll buy the disc regardless.

NiCK Crush 02-13-08 11:28 PM

There Will Be Buying

-NiCK

mikelowry 02-14-08 04:14 AM

Looks good. I'm buying this!

Drexl 02-14-08 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Well that certainly sucks then. I have been hoping for a re-release of Magnolia with commentary.
Couldn't someone do commentary on this? Jonny Greenwood? Paul Dano? The kid who played "his son"? A commentary that consisted of nothing but audio clips from the "milkshake" speech for 2 hrs. and 38 minutes?

How about cinematographer Robert Elswit?

JackBurton 02-14-08 07:45 AM

This will be a release day purchase for me, which is rare nowdays. If it ever comes to high def (either format) I will purchase that as well.

macnorton 02-14-08 08:33 AM

Didn't get a chance to see this, so this one will be a must buy. Anderson has not made a film yet that I haven't liked.

Iron Chef 02-14-08 08:36 AM

I was kind of hoping for a leather bound bible-y case for this one.

Dr Mabuse 02-14-08 08:38 AM

yep... a first day purchase all right...

bluesxman 02-14-08 09:32 AM

wasnt there supposed to be a bunch of deleted scenes for this? I know there's atleast the one where DDL is getting his haircut by H.W.

CKMorpheus 02-14-08 10:40 AM

I'll be buying on day 1.

Crossing my fingers for an HD-DVD release!

islandclaws 02-14-08 11:25 AM

I just saw this last night and I'm all over this DVD. Great film. A bible-ish leathery LE would be sweet, but I'm just as happy with a 2-disc set. I might spring for the HD if there is one available.

Sondheim 02-14-08 11:50 AM

What a fantastic film. This is another release-day buy for me. (And I have every intention to see it at least once more in theaters.)

Johnny Zhivago 02-14-08 11:56 AM

Sold.

And sold again when it goes Blu...This will be my first HD purchase and the title that I've been waiting for to make the jump. (I know it won't come out as a Blu title, just sayin'... Eventually, when it does)

slop101 02-14-08 03:44 PM

I'll buy this dvd. I'll buy it up!

Zodiac_Speaking 02-14-08 03:59 PM

Totally buying it. Fantastic Movie!!!!

depooter 02-14-08 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by domino harvey
Anderson said that after the Boogie Nights commentary, people kept asking him about things he said off the cuff during the track and it got to become too much of a liability, so he's never planning to do another commentary track ever again

that's too bad....but he's been moving the way of spielberg with little or no deleted scenes (and no commentary) since Boogie Nights..

I think the reason is kind of silly myself....and this is coming from someone who knew PTA pretty well

dpz301 02-14-08 05:45 PM

i'm in. would be awesome in an HD DVD.

NiCK Crush 02-15-08 01:10 AM

hate that Paramount hasnt figured it out and gone Blu... ill definitely grab the 2-Disc DVD though.

-NiCK

PopcornTreeCt 02-15-08 01:13 AM

It kinda sucks. PTA has talked about how he learned so much from listening to commentaries on laserdiscs and felt gracious to give back.

He's sold out!

dman988 02-15-08 03:31 PM

Is there really going to be no commentary?
That stinks, but I love the film so much that I'll buy it anyway. Though I'll wait for the eventual BD version because if any film should be viewed in Hi-Def it's this one.

Mao 02-15-08 07:57 PM

Okay, time to break the official news on this one....I'm a few days early, but...

Paramount will be releasing a single disc, a 2-Disc SE and a 2-Disc HD-DVD on April 8th.

The single disc will be barebones.

The 2 Disc Features:
English, French Dubbed & Subtitled, Spanish
5.1 Surround, Dolby Digital
• Featurette: 15
• Trailers: Teaser
• Trailers: Trailer
• Additional Scenes: Fishing
• Additional Scenes: Haircut/Interrupted Hymn
• Featurette: Dailies Gone Wild
• Featurette: The Story of Petroleum

The 2 Disc HD-DVD Features:
English, French Dubbed & Subtitled, Spanish, Spanish Dubbed & Subtitled
5.1 Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 Dolby TrueHD
• Additional Scenes: 15 Minutes
• Featurette: There Will Be Blood - Pics, Research, Etc
• Trailers: Trailer
• Additional Scenes: "Haircut"
• Additional Scenes: Haircut/Interrupted Hymn
• Featurette: Dailies Gone Wild
• Additional Scenes: Dailies Gone Wild

(Now if someone could help me post the artwork, I have it...391.2 KB and 379.9 KB respectively)

chris_sc77 02-15-08 08:13 PM

Wow what a another shit release by paramount. Doesn't surprise me after what they are doing to INTO THE WILD.
I own HD-DVD but I must bestow a special FUCK YOU to paramount for putting more features on the HD-DVD than on the 2-disk DVD.
This whole hi-def format thing has really made me lose faith in films and DVD.

Aegean2007 02-15-08 08:15 PM

I'd be glad to get the artwork posted. PM me.

Johnny Zhivago 02-15-08 08:40 PM

<i>:::waiting anxiously for the cover art to appear::::</i>

Thanks for the update Mao!

Sparrow 02-15-08 09:01 PM

While I'd love to get this in high def, I'll have to rent this one for a movie night to share Day-Lewis' masterful performance with my friends.

dman988 02-15-08 11:12 PM

F*CK YOU Paramount with a capital "F". If that gets me banned, so be it, but this is complete and utter BS. You can't put more features on an HD version of a premium release where a barebones is also available. That's not how the market works. If there was one SD with all of the SD 2-disc features and then the HD with bonus, FINE. They are just being @ssholes.

Please, everybody, BOYCOTT this release. This isn't an HD vs. BD thing.
I would have problems with this if any other company pulled this stuff with BD too, so don't say it's because of bias. You pay the premium price for more features, this is complete crap they're pulling.

dman988 02-15-08 11:14 PM

Also, I think it's completely moronic that suddenly PTA isn't making commentaries.
The one thing I've always appreciated were his informative commentaries, and I've seen him in person and he's not the most interest person (he tends to repeat himself too), but I'd still appreciate a full commentary. This is just LAZY.

I might just...hmm...this makes me mad. I'll leave it at that.

Aegean2007 02-15-08 11:21 PM

Hey, guys, here's the art that Mao sent me:

The 1-Disc:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../TWBB1Disc.jpg

The 2-Disc:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../TWBB2Disc.jpg

dman988 02-15-08 11:24 PM

Thank you very much!

Giles 02-15-08 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by dman988
F*CK YOU Paramount with a capital "F". If that gets me banned, so be it, but this is complete and utter BS. You can't put more features on an HD version of a premium release where a barebones is also available. That's not how the market works. If there was one SD with all of the SD 2-disc features and then the HD with bonus, FINE. They are just being @ssholes.

Please, everybody, BOYCOTT this release. This isn't an HD vs. BD thing.
I would have problems with this if any other company pulled this stuff with BD too, so don't say it's because of bias. You pay the premium price for more features, this is complete crap they're pulling.

you know Disney did this for the BR edition of Ratatouille - there's a bucketload of extras that are nowhere on the standard DVD.

dadaluholla 02-15-08 11:27 PM

I'm definitely buying this... but those are two of the worst attempts at cover art I have ever seen.

Giles 02-15-08 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I'm definitely buying this... but those are two of the worst attempts at cover art I have ever seen.

I've never liked the top art/photo layout, it makes Daniel Day Lewis look like he's trying to restrain a fart.