Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Keeping Track of Borrowed DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping Track of Borrowed DVDs

If you lend out DVDs do you make an extra effort to keep track of them?

I try to put an empty DVD case in its spot so I don't have to reorganize when I get them back. Sometimes I'll forget what is missing, though, and I have to sit and think of what was between "Head of the Family" and "Heat." I keep telling myself to make a list but I never get around to it.

I kind of wish I could stop lending movies altogether, but I A) Enjoy turning someone on to a new movie and B) I feel like a douche if I say "no, you can't borrow that.
But then I think about how long my Arrested Development seasons have been missing. WHY DO YOU NEED TO BORROW TWO SEASONS AT ONCE?!
I don't even want to talk about how long my Neon Genesis Evangelion box has been gone after lending it to a friend I see maybe once a month if I'm lucky.
I especially hate when people borrow movies, only to return them in two months (after I feel like an asshole begging them to bring it back over and over) after not even watching the movie!
I've let people borrow too many DVD's when I'm drunk, too. I get all drunk and loving when people are over and all the sudden they're leaving with two box sets and three of my favorite movies (like the aforementioned Arrested Development).
I realize the rant above kind of belongs in the old borrowing thread, but I am really curious about how people keep track, and I had to rant.
Old 02-09-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
For loaning discs to friends or family, I limit it to just one disc at a time and also give a date I want it back by. And then anyone who is lousy at returning on-time (or at all) get cutoff from borrowing anything else.
Old 02-09-08, 12:52 PM
Banned

If you put your collection on DVD Spot, you can list what titles you've loaned out and to who and when.
Old 02-09-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
^ Same with Delicious Library.
Old 02-09-08, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Legolas
If you put your collection on DVD Spot, you can list what titles you've loaned out and to who and when.
I can't remember which DVD profile site I used to use, but I had an online list at one point. I just never kept up with it and I really don't feel like taking the time to make a new one. Although I should.
Old 02-09-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't lend them out. That will solve all problems
Old 02-09-08, 02:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by mattressman
I can't remember which DVD profile site I used to use, but I had an online list at one point. I just never kept up with it and I really don't feel like taking the time to make a new one. Although I should.
I didn't feel like doing it either, but once I put everything in spot (or something else), I (and my friends and family) were much happier. It is invaluable knowing exactly what I have from anywhere with an internet connection.
Old 02-09-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've loaned musical movies (Evita and Phantom of the Opera) on separate occassions to two different couples; good neighbours in my condo building, on the condition they watch and return within a week. They disregarded the agreement, so I had to call them up a week later. Then they got all offended that I was going after them to get my discs back, and they've never asked to borrow again, let alone visit. This happened exactly the same way with both couples, so must speak to a certain type of people in my area.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 02-09-08 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 04:16 PM
Cool New Member

dvd profiler is good software to keep track of your collection. I loan dvds just to family and friends witch I trust. In dvd profiler simply put start date and how long. you never forget. You can also do that on online profiles.
Old 02-09-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to steal your thread, but I have a neighbor that loaned me Rush Hour 2 believing it was the most brilliant comedy in existence. I told him I was into movies and RH2 was his respnse. I really didn't care for the movie. Anyway, first opprtunity I had to give it back I thanked him and lied to him by telling him the movie was pretty good. He refused it and told me to keep it. "I have seen many times," he says. So now I have his crappy movie and don't know what to do with it. If I catch the window of his car rolled down I'll dump it in. That said I rarely if ever let anyone borrow films. They are not displayed in the open either.

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 02-10-08 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-09-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I only let me very close friends borrow DVDs and I have one simple rule: bring it back EXACTLY as you got it. If it comes back any different you're buying me a new one. They always agree and I never have issues. I also don't lend out season sets, LE's, rare DVDS or anything difficult to replace. And I never give them the slipcover or any kind of sleeve when loaning it out either.
Old 02-09-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I never lend any movies out. I've had a couple of bad experiences so now I just hold onto my stuff.
Old 02-09-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mattressman
B) I feel like a douche if I say "no, you can't borrow that.
Trust me, after you say "no, you can't borrow that" a few times, you'll stop feeling like a douche and more like a person who doesn't want to have his DVDs broken, that have been bought with your hard earned money.

My favorite comeback when someone says "why not?" is "because you didn't pay for it", followed by a .
Old 02-09-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I don't have a problem lending out dvds. Most of the time, I force people to borrow a dvd if I feel it's a movie/tv show they need to see.

What I do to keep track of it all is to put the disc of whatever I'm lending out in a spare CD jewel-case, and I turn that dvd's empty case sideways on it's shelf.
Old 02-09-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I have a neighbor that loaned me Rush Hour 2 believing it was the most brilliant comedy in existence.
When the second one came out, I heard someone at Wal-Mart asking a clerk what the difference was between the first and second one.

As for keeping track of movies, you could just write something down.
Old 02-09-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i use dvd profiler as well.
Old 02-09-08, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I only let me very close friends borrow DVDs and I have one simple rule: bring it back EXACTLY as you got it. If it comes back any different you're buying me a new one. They always agree and I never have issues. I also don't lend out season sets, LE's, rare DVDS or anything difficult to replace. And I never give them the slipcover or any kind of sleeve when loaning it out either.
I always try to stick to that, too. i hate getting DVDs back with the slip covers all screwed up.
Old 02-09-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
If anyone shows an interest in a DVD I own, I suggest to 'em setting up a time when they can come over to watch it.
Old 02-09-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
\

As for keeping track of movies, you could just write something down.
A pen and paper? What year do you think this is?
Old 02-09-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I get sick of being treated as the bad guy when I don't loan DVDs out. I actually had one "co-worker" try to make me feel guilty because I didn't GIVE them all of my Disney DVDs for their needy kid like one of their "real friends" did. He tells me that his buddy said, "Here, take them, we don't need them anymore. They're yours." Then he gives me this long shameful look. What the hell. Try going to the store and actually buying them with your own money if you want to build a video library for your child. What a jerk.
Old 02-09-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I lend out dvds all the time. Currently one guy has seasons 1-3 of The Wire, another has Rome and some entourage and a pedro almodovar boxset. Heck sometimes I'll give one friend movies for her mom to watch since she had an operation and immobile. Some people I won't let borrow however if I don't think they are close friends or they have abused borrowing in the pass. Also once a movie makes it to my 400 disc changer it is off limits. I think having 1500+ dvds also helps because rarely will one of the discs lent out be the one I want to watch,
Old 02-10-08, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza
Yeah, I get sick of being treated as the bad guy when I don't loan DVDs out. I actually had one "co-worker" try to make me feel guilty because I didn't GIVE them all of my Disney DVDs for their needy kid like one of their "real friends" did. He tells me that his buddy said, "Here, take them, we don't need them anymore. They're yours." Then he gives me this long shameful look. What the hell. Try going to the store and actually buying them with your own money if you want to build a video library for your child. What a jerk.

I don't lend any of my movies, period. Too many things can go wrong. From the disc getting scratched to flimsy packaging being destroyed.

I once lent my cousin the Star Wars trilogy on VHS, never saw them again. I lent my sister a DVD once and it came back with bite marks on the case!?

If I can't even trust my family, there is no way I'm lending anyone else my DVDs.
Old 02-10-08, 03:37 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah I agree don't lend them out, it's not worth the hassle
Old 02-10-08, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The worst part is when someone borrows a DVD without your knowledge, and then you spend hours looking for it. ARGH.
Old 02-10-08, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
Did he think you paid for them for the opportunity to be a good samaritan?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.