Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats the deal with the Elvis Re-Issues? Why are the old ones "rare"?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-09-08, 09:14 AM

I was looking on Amazon.com, and there is something about the Elvis movies that is very odd...

Take for instance "Viva Las Vegas." There is the recent re-issue, that was also put in Blu Ray and HD. But the original issue, the one that came in the old box set as well is apparently "rare." To buy it new from a seller costs $20, with some sellers listing it as "rare, first edition." Some state that its harder to find. But why would you want this version? Isn't the reissue better? Is there something going on aspect ratio wise that I can't figure out?

While not as bad, it appears that the same thing is going on in the "Jailhouse Rock" arena. What gives?
Old 02-09-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Because people on Amazon are whores. I sell on Amazon as well, but I try to be fair. Some of the prices for stuff is way out of line with actual market price if you look at a place like eBay.
Old 02-09-08, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by erichbergen
I was looking on Amazon.com, and there is something about the Elvis movies that is very odd...

Take for instance "Viva Las Vegas." There is the recent re-issue, that was also put in Blu Ray and HD. But the original issue, the one that came in the old box set as well is apparently "rare." To buy it new from a seller costs $20, with some sellers listing it as "rare, first edition." Some state that its harder to find. But why would you want this version? Isn't the reissue better? Is there something going on aspect ratio wise that I can't figure out?

While not as bad, it appears that the same thing is going on in the "Jailhouse Rock" arena. What gives?
The previous poster is generally right. People are out for a buck so they will play up angles to sell thier wares.

There are some cases where the "remastered" discs do not look as good as the first releases and there have been a couple of times I've regretted the "upgrade" but by and large its usually an improvment all the way around as always advancing digital technology enables studios to always do better and better work in restorations.

There are websites such as DVDBEAVER.COM that do actual comparisons of different releases and I have found that to be extremely helpful...and amusing. Its all clearly a matter of ones personal preference ultimately. There are times I disagree with their assesment of which version looks the best.

Last edited by Carcosa; 02-09-08 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-09-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't discount the fact that all Elvis merchandise is collectible by fans. Collectors want to have the first issue or they just want to have every version that comes out. You know, just like all the folks that collect all the Evil Dead releases. I like collecting Beatles stuff as well as a few other artists.