Cloverfield --> 22 April 2008 [merged]

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Cloverfield --> 22 April 2008 [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That steelbook looks great! Does anyone know the price of it? Most stores seem to have it for $15 this week and I'd hate to spend another $10 for the steelbook (and not get the extras the other stores are offering).

Also, is it possible to still reserve a steelbook this late?
Old 04-18-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
That steelbook looks great! Does anyone know the price of it? Most stores seem to have it for $15 this week and I'd hate to spend another $10 for the steelbook (and not get the extras the other stores are offering).

I pre-ordered it for $19.99 at FYE. Not sure if they woudl still take pre-orders for the steelbook or not. They usually have a few on the shelves so they may take your order and just hold one of their extra copies.
Old 04-18-08, 09:09 AM

I have the steelbook pre-ordered from FYE as well. I have considered buying from Best Buy for the bonus disc and selling the extra copy off. Sometimes they just have a stack in sleeves and they are not attached to the disc in anyway. That's how it was for POTC: AWE.
Old 04-18-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SPIDERone

Plus, don't forget FYE usually has some mail-in-rebate for steelbooks, so you'll probably get $5 back. Not much, but, hey, it's your money if you want it.
Old 04-18-08, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Plus, don't forget FYE usually has some mail-in-rebate for steelbooks, so you'll probably get $5 back. Not much, but, hey, it's your money if you want it.
They didn't for Beowulf
Old 04-18-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered this about amonth ago. Stupid FYE, When I went to pick up my Sweeney Todd Steelbook they didn't even have any copies behind the counter and it was 4pm. The guy walked right out from behind the counter went to the sales floor and pulled me a copy. I was pissed. I explained to him what a pre-order was and how my copy should have been pulled already and how mad I would have been had they sold out. His actual argument to me was that they had enough, I said to him that wasn't the point of a pre-order. He started getting snippy so I asked for his manager. The store manager came up and I asked him What a pre-order meant. He told me and when I explained to him that my copy wasn't pulled he apologized and said it wouldn't happen again after I told him I had a copy of Cloverfield on order. Nobody knows the meaning of customer service...I was never rude or raised my voice. Hopefully when I go tuesday after 4pm it will be there.
Old 04-18-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ceeece
They didn't for Beowulf
I just got my $5 check this week for the Beowulf Steelbook. They honored it as part of the rebate program.
Old 04-19-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
I ordered this about amonth ago. Stupid FYE, When I went to pick up my Sweeney Todd Steelbook they didn't even have any copies behind the counter and it was 4pm. The guy walked right out from behind the counter went to the sales floor and pulled me a copy. I was pissed. I explained to him what a pre-order was and how my copy should have been pulled already and how mad I would have been had they sold out. His actual argument to me was that they had enough, I said to him that wasn't the point of a pre-order. He started getting snippy so I asked for his manager. The store manager came up and I asked him What a pre-order meant. He told me and when I explained to him that my copy wasn't pulled he apologized and said it wouldn't happen again after I told him I had a copy of Cloverfield on order. Nobody knows the meaning of customer service...I was never rude or raised my voice. Hopefully when I go tuesday after 4pm it will be there.
I see your point, but wouldn't the time to get even a little irritated be when they don't have a copy for you? I don't care if the guy pulls it out of his ass, as long as the disc I pre-ordered is available for me when I go to pick it up.
Old 04-19-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Aussie Tin:

Of course, it's R4/PAL, it isn't available until Cloverfield is released down under (22 May), and it has a AU$9.50 shipping charge on top of the AU$27.12 GST-free price, bringing the shipped price to US$34-35. But if you want something nobody else on the block is likely to have, here it is:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item_tt.zml?pid=798427
Old 04-19-08, 07:59 PM

I see your point, but wouldn't the time to get even a little irritated be when they don't have a copy for you? I don't care if the guy pulls it out of his ass, as long as the disc I pre-ordered is available for me when I go to pick it up.
I can understand exactly where he's coming through since Best Buy seems to do the same thing (take preorders but not actually hold the game - just keep them on the shelves). For a normally stocked item it's not too great of a deal if they sell out, but for limited releases such as the steelbooks (or in my case, the Final Fantasy metallic covers) that will probably not get restocked, they give you a sort of false hope that "Your copy will be here when you come in", when in actuality you have to make sure you get there before they sell out just like everybody else does. I know my local best buy sold out of Crisis Core within the first day and still hasn't restocked (or if they have, they've all been re-sold).

On a note more related to the topic though, I was able to find an FYE nearby that was still taking reservations for the Cloverfield steelbook - price seems to be $22.99 now (at least in my area).
Old 04-19-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, except the time they fuck up you will think, "If only I'd told them all those times before..."
Old 04-20-08, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ceeece
I have the steelbook pre-ordered from FYE as well. I have considered buying from Best Buy for the bonus disc and selling the extra copy off. Sometimes they just have a stack in sleeves and they are not attached to the disc in anyway. That's how it was for POTC: AWE.
The POTC:AWE bonus disc was sold separately and had it's own SKU. It was free if you bought POTC:AWE and $4.99 if you didn't. That isn't the case with the Cloverfield bonus disc.
Old 04-20-08, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
Nobody knows the meaning of customer service...I was never rude or raised my voice. Hopefully when I go tuesday after 4pm it will be there.
Sometimes mistakes happen in retail for whatever reason. Hope you're not getting it from the same place!
Old 04-20-08, 05:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Aussie Tin:

Of course, it's R4/PAL, it isn't available until Cloverfield is released down under (22 May), and it has a AU$9.50 shipping charge on top of the AU$27.12 GST-free price, bringing the shipped price to US$34-35. But if you want something nobody else on the block is likely to have, here it is:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item_tt.zml?pid=798427
much rather have the steelbook than this tin.
Old 04-21-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
has anyone who has this now, been able to play the hidden video clips?
there is about 7 of them. they can be seen as files on the disc but i can't get them tp play.
Old 04-21-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My FYE opens at 10:00 a.m. and I'm just gonna go there right when they open to get one. I'm sure they'll have at least a few copies available in store. And them I'm headed to Bet Buy for the bonus disc; will probably just sell it on eBay or give it to a friend or something.
Old 04-21-08, 06:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts
Originally Posted by kstublen
And them I'm headed to Bet Buy for the bonus disc; will probably just sell it on eBay or give it to a friend or something.
then why bother getting the Best Buy version at all?
Old 04-21-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...chType=Keyword

Haven't the foggiest what Borders exclusive is, other than the fact that there is one.
Old 04-21-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
then why bother getting the Best Buy version at all?
I want the bonus disc. I meant that I'll keep the bonus disc and give away/sell the DVD itself, sans bonus disc.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-21-08 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...chType=Keyword

Haven't the foggiest what Borders exclusive is, other than the fact that there is one.
hmm i will have to stop into the store tomorrow as its right next door to FYE.... for me wounder what it is...
Old 04-21-08, 09:22 PM

According to this website, the Borders exclusive is a production booklet.

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=16:191284
Old 04-22-08, 10:18 AM

fye cloverfield steelbook has a $5 mail in rebate .. i will post pictures soon of the case... it rocks
Old 04-22-08, 10:51 AM
Cool New Member

Just picked up my steelbook from Future Shop here in Canada. Pretty standard issue steelbook. Somewhat raised lettering, hinge on the front obviously isn't real, a little bit of "damage", etc.

Inside, no insert with a silver printe disc with Cloverfield written on it. I wonder if there's going to be another release later with more stuff?
Old 04-22-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was tempted to run out and get this today but Netflix saved me. I want to wait for the Blu-ray release but was also dying to see this again. My rental copy should be here tomorrow and while I may miss out on the cool exclusives it will save me cash in the long run.
Old 04-22-08, 12:34 PM

Just got back from a local FYE Super Center. They had both the Cloverfield Steelbook and regular case on sale for $15.99 each. I was expecting to pay $22.99 or, at least, $19.99 for the steelbook so this was a pleasant surprise. No further mail-in rebate offer that I saw but I'm happy with the price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.