Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Cloverfield --> 22 April 2008 [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpCutz
^^^ I can live with that. At least there are no big heads on the cover.

It could do without the quote though.
DVDActive has the retail artwork.

--THX
Old 03-17-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too many quotes on the front cover. Glad i pre-ordered the steelbook. Glad to hear there are lots of extras the first time out.
Old 03-18-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ugly cover with all those quotes. I may have to hunt down a steelbook now. And are they seriously not including the trailers on this? That's insanity considering they're what made the film successful.
Old 03-18-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need a steelbook too. And don't have an FYE or suncoast by me.

Anyone want to pick me up a copy?
Old 03-18-08, 05:06 PM

I just pre-ordered the steelbook today. Can't wait!
Old 03-19-08, 08:31 AM
Banned

more art:

Looks awesome, I wish they would announce a HD release soon
Old 03-19-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^
Hope thats the real artwork. Looks much better without all those quotes.
Old 03-19-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
That's the same art work that Mao had.
Old 03-19-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Huh. I might actually pre-order the steelbook from FYE if that's the final artwork. Course, I wouldn't give a rat's tail if Paramount would get on with announcing a BD. If they don't, then I'll still make due with the SD for a spell.
Old 04-07-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BB bonus disc!

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...ws.php?id=5505
Old 04-07-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was hoping they'd put the teaser trailer on it, as well as the Youtube videos.
Old 04-07-08, 05:30 PM

I'm sure there will be another bonus disc, although right now, I'll be getting cloverfield at bestbuy.com unless i can order the steelbook online
Old 04-08-08, 05:39 AM
JM1

I got this yesterday (UK early import copy).

Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, had not seen it before.

Gonna post some thoughts and opinions on the film, quality, extras etc, spoilers ahead...

Loved the movie, it lived up to my expectations. Some of the best interaction between real sets/people and cgi I have ever seen.

First thing that really stood out for me was the sound - very, very active, lots of stuff going on all over and considering how much overlapping and overheard dialogue there is, very clear as well.

Pic is also excellent, has that slight grain in it you would expect from a 'video' shot movie, but superb depth of field and clarity.

The only thing to add about the cover is that it does have a brown removable security sticker on the outside of the box which reads 'Project Cloverfield, property of US goverment, new secrets revealed' . Easy to get off in one piece, and looks good if you stick it on the back of the box actually. I also noticed that the disc itself has fake scratches on it, making it look like something that had been discarded and found.

Features - deleted scenes...really just a couple of extra character moments that take place in the first 20 minutes. Commentary by Matt Reeves.

Alternate endings - very small, subtle changes to the original, you need to listen to Matt Reeves commentary to actually see what the differences are.

Commentary by Matt Reeves - not listened yet, cannot comment.

Making of - 28 mins worth, pretty good, covers most of the main sequences and shows a lot of the on-set filming and locations, and how they blended them with the CGI footage.

Outtakes - so so, mainly goofs from the opening 20 mins.

Cloverfield visual effects - pretty good, lots of close up detail of the actual main creature, and the smaller ones

I saw it, it's alive, it's huge! - a feature on how the creature designs came about from original idea to execution. Interesting how original ideas for using puppets on set were dropped in favour of cgi.

Previews - Star Trek and Indiana Jones, no less. Non anomorphic though.

The back of the box also lists along with the special features 'hidden research into case designate Cloverfield'. I am not sure if this is just another way of describing some of the features above (the back cover does not break them all down individually), or if they are referring to the website address given on the special features on the disc menu.

Now, I am not going to put the website address up here as it's still officially pre-release date, but I did try it and it did not work. I am assuming it will probably not go live until then. But whether this website contains the 'hidden research' info or is just a basic movie website I don't know. Who knows, maybe it will have the original trailers and webisodes.
Old 04-08-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I pre-ordered the steelbook at Second Spin. I see BB is getting a bonus disc, although it doesn't appear to be all that cool, so I'll probably just stick with my pre-order.
Old 04-08-08, 10:28 PM

Steelbook pre-ordered as well. I've noticed the exclusive steelbooks going quick and not being replenished lately.
Old 04-10-08, 01:43 PM

Got the DVD from dvds Limited on Tuesday and must admit I did like the film. The bonus features are just ok however, theres a few pointless deleted scenes and alternate endings along with a doc about movies making. I think theres a commentary to. I got it from www.dvdslimited.com. Awesome site for ealy dispatch region 1 DVD's....only in the UK mind.
Old 04-10-08, 09:39 PM

Is that locker confirmed as the steelbook artwork?
Old 04-11-08, 12:47 PM

according to Speedy's thead in DVD Bargains, Target will have a deluxe edition, with different slipcover/coverart, and comes with a CD.
Old 04-11-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, that locker art is the Steelbook.
Old 04-11-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Considering the special features are only OK (and they are fairly average), I've got to think Paramount will release some kind of 2-Disc set, maybe before the release of the sequel.
Old 04-11-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh I'm sure there will be a double dip on this, but I can't pass up the Steelbook. If there wasn't one, I'd probably wait.
Old 04-14-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty disappointed that there wasn't a compendium of all the viral stuff. Hopefully there will be a fully loaded special edition (hopefully in the form of Blu-ray) down the road. All that content, along with the online comic, fleshes out the story a little.
Old 04-15-08, 12:04 PM

Here's a link to the store exclusives:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/04/14/...ives/#comments
Old 04-18-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question:

I reserved the steelbook, but I really want to get the Best Buy bonus disc. Is there any way I can get the bonus disc without having to buy another copy (or slice the back of the package open and pilfer the disc)? Is there anyone on here who'll be buying extra copies and maybe selling the bonus disc? I'd be more than happy to buy one.
Old 04-18-08, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Question:

I reserved the steelbook, but I really want to get the Best Buy bonus disc. Is there any way I can get the bonus disc without having to buy another copy (or slice the back of the package open and pilfer the disc)? Is there anyone on here who'll be buying extra copies and maybe selling the bonus disc? I'd be more than happy to buy one.
You'd be better off trying to find a friend who doesn't care about bonus discs/exclusives and selling the extra movie to them. I imagine selected copies will be stickered on the plastic wrap as including the disc on the inside of the case. IF you're lucky, they might shrink wrap it to the back of the case, but that still requires a slit to be made in the back of the packaging.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.