Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sweeney Todd-------> April 1st, 2008

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sweeney Todd-------> April 1st, 2008

Old 01-19-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I've seen it three times in the theatre and will be buying it on DVD, Blu-ray if possible. Nothing beats seeing it at a good theatre.
Old 01-20-08, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
I understand what you are saying but I think the home theater (for me) is a replacement for the traditional theater experience. I still go sometimes (for a large scale movie) but when I saw I Am Legend there were at least five children under three years of age. Inexcusable. There was a guy who, while not talking on it, did constantly check his cell phone (stupid blue light). When I went to see Bourne last August I sat on a freakin' Milky Way bar that someone had smeared all over my seat. I can pick up a new DVD for $15 (or $7 if I wait for awhile and get it used), which is less than the price of two theater tickets. I spent a lot of money on a big tv, sound system, movies, etc...I just don't feel justified spending a lot in the theater. I will buy ST on dvd but just didn't want to see it in the theater. I wish going to the local cinema was a very enjoyable experience but, for the most part, it is not anymore.
I totally agree with this post. Why should I pay these jacked up prices only to be annoyed trying to watch the movie with loud people behind me kicking my chair? I'll wait for it to be released on DVD. It used to be something fun to take the whole family to...now many of those families are being shut out by the prices. Also, I think a good percentage of folks think most of what is released is crap...in all honesty many of these writers have some nerve striking...the guy who wrote Basic Instinct 2 needs more money?
Old 01-20-08, 03:41 AM

I wasn't saying going out to see a movie is bad, it's just not for me (and many others). I realize a person can complain, but I don't want to. Complaining to a theater manager or usher is not something I want to do. That itself is an inconvenience that I do not wish to have to deal with. I don't have a problem watching a movie at home...I turn off the cell, adjust my lighting, have my own relatively inexpensive food and beverage at hand. It's in my control. If a person goes out and sees a movie (which I do sometimes) and enjoys the experience, then I am happy for them. I would just prefer to wait for DVD. I can either buy a movie I know I'll like or wait for Blockbuster to deliver it to my mailbox. I do want to support movies I like or movies made by artists I enjoy, but I will use my money on the dvd end.
Old 01-20-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
I saw Sweeney Todd on opening night and dealt with a theater full of teenagers cheering for Captain Jack whenever he cut someone open ("Take that, Snape!") and one girl actually saying "He's staring at me! He's so cute!" in a I-just-saw-the-Beatles-like fashion. This was at the freakin' Cinerama Dome! Is this how "experiencing a movie" is supposed to work? No. I'd rather take the price I paid for that "experience" and put it toward the DVD (or Blu-Ray) release and watch it in the comfort of my own home theater.

Despite releasing a few gems every year, Hollywood no longer produces product worth dealing with the problems of going to an actual theater. Not to mention the price they're asking for said product.
Old 01-20-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. I don't care how much people think that going to the theater is a great way to "experience a movie." I went opening night to see Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and there were only two seats left in the whole theater (one all the way at the top, and one all the way at the bottom). Two schmucks came in 10 minutes into the movie, and the usher made us all rearrange so that the couple didn't have to separate. Absolutely ridiculous.

Went to see The Grudge in the theater, and the whole entire theater (I kid you not) was yelling, talking, screaming, hooting, etc...I couldn't even hear the dialogue, and my husband and I left. It was disgusting.

People snoring, cell phones going off, text messaging, etc...that is not part of the movie going experience. My theater currently charged almost $11. If there are people out there that want to pay for all that crap going on in a theater, be my guest, but I won't be one of them.

Why pay $11, and then $15 for the DVD, if you like the movie? I buy it for $15, and if I like it, I already have it, and if I don't, I sell it for around $13, and I'm only out $2.
Old 01-20-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dav725
And if we wait for great films to come to dvd without seeing them in a theater...they'll stop being made.

Seriously.
They sure as hell aren't throwing big budget dollars at direct to video releases. If they stop making good movies for theaters because of lack of attendance, this is what we have to look forward to on direct to video...

I really try to see the movies I want to support in the theater, but it's often difficult. I like more indie type movies and a lot of them don't play in my area, and on top of that I work two jobs and it's really difficult to find the time to go. I mainly find that my issues are with Pg-13 movies on the opening weekend (because of loud kids crowding the theater) but if I wait a week or two to see movies I don't have terrible experiences, when I do get the time to see a movie.
Old 01-20-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I saw Sweeney Todd on opening night ....
There's your problem right there. In fact, I think that's A LOT of problems people have with movies...seeing it when the theater is too full (too many candy wrapper noises, people kicking your seat, loud kids, etc). I saw Sweeney Todd two weeks after it came out and had a great experience. My days of seeing movies on opening weekend ended a long time ago. If I wait a week or two or go during the week, I find it's a much more pleasant experience.

I wonder how many bad theater experience stories start out with "I went opening night...." Dude, if you can't wait to see the movie, you deserve to put up with that crap. It's not like a big movie like that is only going to be in a theater for a week.

Last edited by calhoun07; 01-20-08 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-20-08, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sabrett
I agree. I don't care how much people think that going to the theater is a great way to "experience a movie." I went opening night to see Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and there were only two seats left in the whole theater (one all the way at the top, and one all the way at the bottom). Two schmucks came in 10 minutes into the movie, and the usher made us all rearrange so that the couple didn't have to separate. Absolutely ridiculous.

Went to see The Grudge in the theater, and the whole entire theater (I kid you not) was yelling, talking, screaming, hooting, etc...I couldn't even hear the dialogue, and my husband and I left. It was disgusting.

People snoring, cell phones going off, text messaging, etc...that is not part of the movie going experience. My theater currently charged almost $11. If there are people out there that want to pay for all that crap going on in a theater, be my guest, but I won't be one of them.

Why pay $11, and then $15 for the DVD, if you like the movie? I buy it for $15, and if I like it, I already have it, and if I don't, I sell it for around $13, and I'm only out $2.
OK here are rules to avoid problems with kids.
The more rules you combine the more likely you will be able to see a movie in peace. It woks for me 24 out of 25 times at least.

1. See the Movie Before 6:00 pm. Noisy kids go to the movies after 6:00 pm
2. See an R-rated film. This one is tricky and not always accurate due to parents buying tickets for the kids , sneaking in etc.
3. SEE A GOOD MOVIE : Don't go see PG-13 Horror!!! I guarantee showings of something like THERE WILL BE BLOOD will not be disrupted by asshole kids.
4. Go on a weekday.
5. Bring a gun and don't be afraid to show it off
Old 01-20-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
3. SEE A GOOD MOVIE : Don't go see PG-13 Horror!!! I guarantee showings of something like THERE WILL BE BLOOD will not be disrupted by asshole kids.
5. Bring a gun and don't be afraid to show it off
Maybe instead, if the kids DO sneak into TWBB, I should chuck at them a mixture of oil and milkshake.
Old 01-20-08, 12:36 PM
Banned

I still have no idea what that milkshake comment means but I am seeing the film tomorrow and I cant wait to find out. It actually had be more curious and intrigued than that Cloverfield movie ever made me.
Old 01-20-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6pV-Lvpakk

It's not worth waiting another day.
Old 01-20-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
There's your problem right there. In fact, I think that's A LOT of problems people have with movies...seeing it when the theater is too full (too many candy wrapper noises, people kicking your seat, loud kids, etc). I saw Sweeney Todd two weeks after it came out and had a great experience. My days of seeing movies on opening weekend ended a long time ago. If I wait a week or two or go during the week, I find it's a much more pleasant experience.

I wonder how many bad theater experience stories start out with "I went opening night...." Dude, if you can't wait to see the movie, you deserve to put up with that crap. It's not like a big movie like that is only going to be in a theater for a week.

I'd rather wait a couple of months and just get the DVD (or Blu-Ray). Less hassle and I don't have to deal with the "commoners." Issue solved.
Old 01-20-08, 01:10 PM
Cool New Member

The first time I saw Sweeney Todd was on Christmas day at the Cinerma Dome too. The crowd was upscale...no teenagers, all respectful, excited....they gasped in all the right places...hardly anyone even got up to go to the bathroom...no children anywhere....everyone seemed swept up in the movie experience. When the film was over there was some applause, some cheering. Outside in the lobby people hung out and talked about the movie...

As for people who say that 'they don't make movies like they used to'...well, okay, grandpa.

There's an E.E. Cummings poem about four girls who go to the beach one day. One finds wonders, another gets chased by a sea monster. He basically ends it saying that different people go to the same place....yet the experience they have is what they bring to it.
Old 01-20-08, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6pV-Lvpakk

It's not worth waiting another day.
Oh come on, that's a clip from near the end of the movie! Yes, it is worth waiting another day to see a scene from the end of the movie in proper context.

EDIT: On the subject at hand, I loved Sweeney Todd (saw it opening night), had a great theater experience, and will definitely be buying the DVD. And I agree with the poster who says that the ever-more-prevailing attitude of "I'll just wait to watch it on my home theater" (no matter what your rationale is) IS going to end up harming a lot of these non-traditional yet still expensive movies. For the most part, studios have finished deciding whether or not a movie was profitable before it leaves the theaters, and they make future financing decisions based on what's profitable in the box office. It makes me sad when truly wonderful movies do poorly in the theater because it's the moviegoing public telling Hollywood to pump out more crap movies.

Last edited by Duder; 01-20-08 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-20-08, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be picking this up also. Didn't see it in the theater either, last movie I saw in a theater was Gangs of New York.
Old 01-20-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's an E.E. Cummings poem about four girls who go to the beach one day. One finds wonders, another gets chased by a sea monster. He basically ends it saying that different people go to the same place....yet the experience they have is what they bring to it.

So by that rationale, you're saying I asked for that theater experience (or "brought" it with me)? That's a pretty big leap of logic (and useless literal reference in this case) just because you lucked out with a good audience and I didn't.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-20-08 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-20-08, 05:02 PM

It will be on my future blu releases.
Old 01-20-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So by that rationale, you're saying I asked for that theater experience (or "brought" it with me)? That's a pretty big leap of logic (and useless literal reference in this case) just because you lucked out with a good audience and I didn't.

I think it largely depends on the area, too. I've had WAY different experiences in different areas/states. \

My theater going experiences have been horrible, with the exception of a handful. My main reason for not going is the $11 ticket price. Now dav725, you could think that's an excuse...but until you drop $22 for my husband and I to go see a movie, which is a crapshoot, and an additional $15 for the DVD if I happen to like the movie, I really don't think it's your place to determine that.

I put a lot of money into my DVD collection, my home theater, and I plan to watch my movies there. To answer your question, I have many memorable experiences watching a movie at home, and very very few memorable experiences watching them in a theater.
Old 01-20-08, 07:07 PM

I love how the release date of Sweeny Todd has turned into people's theater going experience.
Old 01-20-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Serious tangent aside, sorry, I'm not going to be guilt tripped into having to see movies in the theater. Don't get me wrong, I see my fair share at the theater, but I prefer the quality of my home theater.

The first few minutes of Cloverfield at the Hoffman was cut off at the bottom too, as if it wasn't projecting onto the screen correctly. (The Bad Robot logo only showed the top of the letters.) I would see Sweeney Todd in theaters, but at this point, I can easily wait until April. Also, I hear it's pretty gory, and not sure if it'll make me squeamish or not. I don't want to drop that much money on something that I made not want to sit through. At least if I get it from Netflix I have the fast forward button. Not that I can't handle violence, but throat slashing and geysers of blood isn't my thing...
Old 01-20-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lancer02
I love how the release date of Sweeny Todd has turned into people's theater going experience.

And your useless comment contributed so much to the discussion, as well...

Anyway, I find going to the movies during the week, before 6:00pm like someone else said, a good way to avoid annoying teens. But there are still plenty of stupid adults to deal with as well
Old 01-20-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
I enjoy my home theater much more than I enjoy going to the theater but if the movie is right and my knowledge is that the movie won't be coming to my home theater really soon, I'll go see it. I can completely understand why people would rather wait for the dvd. If Hollywood really wanted all people to go to the theater, they wouldn't release these dvd's so damn quick. Why would someone who has constant bad experiences at the theater want to spend $20 for two tickets to a movie that they can easily buy for the same amount 4 months from now? Hollywood knows this and that's why they do it. Trust me, they look at dvd sales as well as ticket sales when determining future movies. Movie attedance keeps going down, ticket prices go up, and hollywood looks to profit any way they can.

By the way, I'm excited for this release. I enjoyed the movie tremedously. Thought I'd add that to the discussion.

Last edited by Neil M.; 01-20-08 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather wait a couple of months and just get the DVD (or Blu-Ray). Less hassle and I don't have to deal with the "commoners." Issue solved.
Who are you? The King of England?
Old 01-21-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As for people who say that 'they don't make movies like they used to'...well, okay, grandpa.
Well, they don't. And going back to parents my grandparents probably got off on...yeah, they didn't make movies like that when I was a kid, and they sure as hell aren't making movies now like when I was a kid. Ridley freaking Scott went on record to declare the sci-fi genre dead. We get Sunshine, one of the best sci-fi films worthy to be on par with 2001 and Blade Runner (I am being freaking serious) and people just crap all over it. And we wonder why Hollywood churns out $#!+ like Aliens Vs. Predator instead. Tell me AVP is like Alien. Tell me, and you will be f'n LYING. AVP is a pile of crap that fell out of the ass of some movie studio. Alien is a work of ART.

I mentioned Blade Runner...the movie it 25 years old and somehow manages to be leaps and bounds beyond most of the crap they release today. We get fed a steady diet of crap because we keep eating it. Yeah...i must be getting old.

Who is going to replace all of the Hollywood guys that are getting old? Ashton Kutcher?! Where are the next Redfords and Newmans? Have you seen the f'ed up pictures of Paul Newman lately?! One of his pupils is stuck in permanent full dilation. It's horrifying. Horrifying and sad. When he's gone, all that he's done and seen will be gone, fading away, like tears in the rain. Are Ashton and that Stiffler dumbass from American Pie going to make a movie that rivals Butch and Sundance? Don't hold your breath.

Do we get movies like M.A.S.H., Dr. Strangelove, Badlands, Apocalypse Now, 2001, Blade Runner, Deer Hunter, Network, etc. today? No, we don't, and in fact we didn't get movies on par with the Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and so many others in the 70's and 80's. But, crap, I'd take any of these movies over most of the crap churned out today.

Anyway, watch Blade Runner. Ridley Scott is a god, and he's getting old. Plus, he made Alien.
Old 01-21-08, 08:08 AM
CTH

Finally got around to seeing this on Saturday. Loved it!!! Luckily there were only two other people in theater so I didnt have to worry about other people ruining my experience. I make it a point to avoid opening weekend for almost every movie and I usually try to go during off hours (weekdays, weeknights after 9:00, early Sunday morning, etc.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.