Reload this Page >

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002) Volume 1 -- Feb. 19th

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-10-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did not see this mentioned yet. I know its not as good as the original, but I thought they did a pretty good job modernizing it.

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Number of discs: 3
Studio: Navarre Corporation
DVD Release Date: February 19, 2008
Run Time: 286 minutes

Amazon has it up for pre-order for $16.99.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-10-08 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
While the kid in me is saying "Yes!", the other part of me is saying "you're still single, and this has no business being anywhere within sight!"
Old 01-10-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
While the kid in me is saying "Yes!", the other part of me is saying "you're still single, and this has no business being anywhere within sight!"

Well I'm married with baby, so I don't have to worry.

I likely won't get it though. I only have the 10-episode "best of" set from the original series.
Old 01-10-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sold
Old 01-11-08, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At 286 minutes, they must only be including 13 or 14 episodes and planning 3 volumes. This could easily have been a complete series set (or at most a 2 volume set) since there are only 39 eps. BCI was putting out the original series in sets of 33 eps after all. I'll pick them up because I enjoyed the show and BCI does quality releases, but it kind of sucks that there won't be more eps included.
Old 01-11-08, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they did a good job of Modernizing Moss Man!
Old 01-11-08, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MANBREASTS
I hope they did a good job of Modernizing Moss Man!
[inside joke]

I don't think I saw him in the few episodes I was able to catch.
Old 01-11-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I know its not as good as the original..
Whoa, are you high? (no offense)

The original series is shit.. the new series is actually really well written and animated. Barring irrational nostalgia (which, I know, fuels an inordinate amount of the internet crowd.. see Family Guy for proof) or an appreciation for camp, I honestly can't fathom that somebody would say that the old series is better than the new one. Seriously, even here at DVDTalk, when BCI released the "Best Of" set, I remember a LOT of people going "Whoa, this isn't as good as I remembered," and then skipping on the season sets.

Again, no offense, no attacks or thread craps meant, etc. and I'm usually very open to the fact that people have differing opinions, but this is tough one for me to swallow if somebody has seen a good amount of both shows. I can totally understand an appreciation for the original in a warm "Saturday Morning Memories" way or for the camp value.. but I think it's just fact that the original show was basically a commercial (the toys WERE badass admittedly) while the new show was actually an attempt to make a real series.. and, of course, it was canceled because it wasn't selling toys (mother fuckers).

If you bought the original "Best Of" disc I'd really suggest picking this new disc up (it's only $17) or at least Netflix it and give it a shot, it was really well made. The writers actually had story arcs written in advance to makes the series flow and I was really pissed when I read what the had planned for season three before the show was cancelled.
Old 01-11-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

The original series is shit.. the new series is actually really well written and animated. Barring irrational nostalgia (which, I know, fuels an inordinate amount of the internet crowd.. see Family Guy for proof) or an appreciation for camp, I honestly can't fathom that somebody would say that the old series is better than the new one. Seriously, even here at DVDTalk, when BCI released the "Best Of" set, I remember a LOT of people going "Whoa, this isn't as good as I remembered," and then skipping on the season sets.

Again, no offense, no attacks or thread craps meant, etc. and I'm usually very open to the fact that people have differing opinions, but this is tough one for me to swallow if somebody has seen a good amount of both shows. I can totally understand an appreciation for the original in a warm "Saturday Morning Memories" way or for the camp value.. but I think it's just fact that the original show was basically a commercial (the toys WERE badass admittedly) while the new show was actually an attempt to make a real series.. and, of course, it was canceled because it wasn't selling toys (mother fuckers).

If you bought the original "Best Of" disc I'd really suggest picking this new disc up (it's only $17) or at least Netflix it and give it a shot, it was really well made. The writers actually had story arcs written in advance to makes the series flow and I was really pissed when I read what the had planned for season three before the show was cancelled.
Yeah, but did the new series ever have She-Ra or the evil Horde?
Old 01-11-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both were part of the plan for season three (along with my favorite, Faker).
Old 01-11-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both were part of the plan for season three (along with my favorite, Faker).
Were they at least going to make Faker blue this time?

I will admit the new series was far superior in both animation and stories. But it just did not capture my attention NOW like the original did as a kid. It was hard enough just trying to find when the new series was on CN, which is why I only saw the first 10 or so episodes before forgetting all about it.
Old 01-11-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I remember I actually watched a few episodes when they aired in the morning before leaving for work. Lol... that was weird.
Old 01-11-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Were they at least going to make Faker blue this time?
I don't know, but they did make a new series figure (limited) that was blue:
http://www.oafe.net/poe/motufaker.php

Since it wasn't cheap-ass Filmation, I'd guess he would have been blue (and pimp).

I will admit the new series was far superior in both animation and stories. But it just did not capture my attention NOW like the original did as a kid. It was hard enough just trying to find when the new series was on CN, which is why I only saw the first 10 or so episodes before forgetting all about it.
Ah, so nostalgia factor.
Old 01-11-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know, but they did make a new series figure (limited) that was blue:
http://www.oafe.net/poe/motufaker.php
I thought that link said "motherfucker" in it at first.

Yeah, I remember seeing the new Faker figure somewhere. My favorite was always Trap-Jaw. Still kind of wish I had picked up the new version of him.
Old 01-11-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never bothered to catch it on TV.

I did however watch every single episode.

God Bless the Internet.

They were awesome.

And itís kinda unfair to compare the original and the 200X version. Thereís like 20 years between them!
Old 01-11-08, 03:38 PM

No She-Ra, but Hordak, Grizzlor, Mantenna and Leech appear towards the end of the series.
Old 01-11-08, 04:26 PM
Cool New Member

I'm glad to see this is being released. Being a big time fan of the classic series growing up, I caught almost every episode of the new series, and even have a huge collection of the figures.
Old 01-11-08, 04:32 PM
Cool New Member

The original series is shit.. the new series is actually really well written and animated.
Yes, the original series was very cheesy, but as far as the animation goes remember it is 20 years old.

And no, this is not an attack against you, for voicing your opinion

I loved the cartoon and toy line as a kid (I was born in 1982, so I was only a couple years old when it came out), maybe that's why I still love it. I guess it's all a matter of opinion, though. Some people think the new characters sucked compared to the original ones.

Me personally, I love having the toy line collection (everything unopened), and I love being able to put the DVDs in and watch any episode of the cartoon series I want and once in a while going "Oh yeah, I remember that..."
Old 01-11-08, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
At 286 minutes, they must only be including 13 or 14 episodes and planning 3 volumes. This could easily have been a complete series set (or at most a 2 volume set) since there are only 39 eps. BCI was putting out the original series in sets of 33 eps after all. I'll pick them up because I enjoyed the show and BCI does quality releases, but it kind of sucks that there won't be more eps included.
It's mostly the way Mattel wanted it. The final 13 episodes (vs the Snake Men) are very different than the first 26, so the decision was made to do three 13 episode volumes. Retailers also like it because it means they can put it on the shelves for 19.99 and be at that "magic impulse buy price".

I like the 3 volumes because it means way more features and I get to do more design 3 packages instead of 1 or 2.
Old 02-17-08, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

looks like best buy has some sort of exclusive for this..no details on what except obviously a diffrent cover
Old 02-17-08, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Its a slipcover to house all three volumes in the series.

Target has an exclusive bonus disc with the first three eps in movie format.
Old 02-17-08, 05:14 AM
Banned

Tvshowsondvd.com reported that there is a defect on disc one of this set:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/He-...-1-Defect/8988
Old 02-17-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wonder what the free gift is.

I'd like to pick these up because I never saw past the first 7-8 episodes, but not sure if I need to own them.
Old 02-17-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
Tvshowsondvd.com reported that there is a defect on disc one of this set:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/He-...-1-Defect/8988
Yea, That sucks...BUT, BCI is absolutely great when it comes to fixing these problems and I hear there going to make up for it w/a bonus extra.
Old 02-17-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yea, looking forward to picking this up at Best Buy for the box casing...never got a chance to watch this show the first time around. Looking forward to it though very much.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.