What is the best Extended/director cut?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What is the best Extended/director cut?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost Famous. I watched both versions and the theatrical version seemed like something was missing in comparison. I found myself so immersed in the characters and the music that I loved the director's cut... it added more character development and music performances.
Old 01-15-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
The Lord Of The Rings is my most obvious pick. I also agree with the people that stated Daredevil is better when altered a bit. I would never watch the first version after getting the DC version. While I enjoyed the DC of Fantastic Four I still would like to get the theatrical edition down the road. I thought the theatrical version, while somewhat short, was still one of the better superhero films I had seen in a long time.
The theatrical cut of FF is on the same disc as the DC.
Old 01-15-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While several have mentioned Donner's cut of Superman II, I'm going to vote for the DC of Superman: The Movie. Restoring Luthor's gauntlet of death scene, amongst others, is something I anxiously waited 25 years for.
Old 01-15-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The theatrical cut of FF is on the same disc as the DC.
You are correct....guess I was confused. The reason I wanted the other disc must of been the fact that the extras were not carried over. A few times I have had the other version in my hand but there is always another DVD that wins out over it when I am shopping.
Old 01-16-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All 3 Lord of the Rings, but I like Return of the King the better
Old 01-16-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have said, LOTR, Blade Runner, The Abyss, and Almost Famous are some of the best movies that have benefited nicely from a extended DVD/Director's Cut.

And for a good case of longer does not equal better movie? I give you Apocalypse Now Redux. The deleted material is fascinating to watch by itself, but not within the context of a extended cut.
Old 01-17-08, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
And for a good case of longer does not equal better movie? I give you Apocalypse Now Redux. The deleted material is fascinating to watch by itself, but not within the context of a extended cut.
I actually totally disagree. Sure the pacing is more consistent and the film is generally a better entertainment in its theatrical form. But I think the Redux is the far superior version. It is much more effective thematically, which is extremely important for a film like AN, and it plays as much more of an intense emotional rollercoaster (or maybe kick in the balls is a more apt comparison.)

One of the most debated sections of Redux is the French Plantation sequence. I fully understand that for a lot of people it feels quite intrusive in context and stops the film dead in its place, but I think that was partly the point. That sequence helps to represent a structural and emotional detour for both the characters and the audience. I truly think that as a film Redux is the true masterpiece.