DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story --> March 25th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/521849-walk-hard-dewey-cox-story-march-25th.html)

Mao 01-06-08 07:44 PM

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story --> March 25th

Sony will release the John C. Reilly comedy in single disc, 2-disc, PSP and Blu Ray versions on March 25th.

The single disc contains the Theatrical version, while the 2-disc and the BR versions will contain both the theatrical and the new unrated versions.

The features so far, subject to change by announcement date of Feb. 11:

-Commentary by John C. Reilly, Judd Apatow, lew Morton and director Jake Kasdan.
-Full Song Performances
-Deleted / Extended Scenes
-Line-O-Rama
-Featurettes
-Unrates version contains 30 minutes of never before seen footage

EdTheRipper 01-06-08 08:18 PM

Excellent....I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

scarredgod 01-06-08 08:25 PM

i havent seen this but im definitely in for the blind buy.

chris_sc77 01-06-08 08:29 PM

Cool, cant wait to see the extended 2-disk set. I would have seen this in theaters if it lasted around 2 hours to begin with but it was only like 90-some minutes so I passed. Looks like I will be getting what I wanted with this release.

peateargryphon 01-06-08 08:45 PM

Finally, we'll get both the theatrical and unrated cut of a Judd Apatow movie on the same disc. I love most of his movies, but I hate the fact that prior DVD releases of his films generally do not include both cuts, which shouldn't be difficult to accomplish with seamless branching.

gotrice487 01-06-08 08:52 PM

Count me in...I'm always game for anything that Apatow does

Drexl 01-06-08 09:07 PM

I'm not sure if I want this, but BIG thumbs up for including both versions.

darkside 01-06-08 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mao
-Unrated version contains 30 minutes of never before seen footage

Actually we saw some of it in the trailer. They cut half of the stuff in the trailer out of the movie. Honestly, the movie was pretty mediocre, but I'm still in since they are including both versions and other extras. Should be worth it.

Zen Peckinpah 01-06-08 11:37 PM

"I need more blankets and less blankets at the same time!" :lol:

Will definitely pick up the Blu-ray for this one...absolutely loved it in theaters, could not stop laughing at the Beatles scene. John C. Reilly was fantastic. Also, I was laughing half of my ride home late at night after the
Spoiler:
"Dewey Cox died three minutes after this performance" caption at the end. Quite possibly the most priceless way to end this movie.

dman988 01-06-08 11:41 PM

Yep, blu blind buy for me.
The deal-sealer is that both cuts are included.
(WHY COULDN'T THAT BE THE CASE WITH SUPERBAD?)

Willh51 01-06-08 11:55 PM

The movie was okay, the songs were really good but it was not really that funny. I will definitely rent the two disc.

MTRodaba2468 01-07-08 01:18 AM

I'd be willing to check it out.

BIG thumbs up for including both versions.

smashthesymbols 01-07-08 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by peateargryphon
Finally, we'll get both the theatrical and unrated cut of a Judd Apatow movie on the same disc. I love most of his movies, but I hate the fact that prior DVD releases of his films generally do not include both cuts, which shouldn't be difficult to accomplish with seamless branching.

I hate that too. With The 40 Year Old Virgin I have to have two copies on my shelf. The unrated 2 disc for the extras, and the single disc of the theatrical version for the far superior cut of the movie.

To get back on topic, this will be a definite blind buy for me. Just the other night I was discussing seeing this with some friends, and we decided on something else instead. We figured the big screen won't add much, and I told them we'd have it on DVD by April anyway, looks like I had it exactly right.

Matthew Chmiel 01-07-08 01:28 AM

The circus told me they would give me five grand and I told them that I wanted that giraffe instead. :lol:

hotsexyboi 01-07-08 02:47 AM

Seems like an awesome edition of the film on DVD..I would get it but never seen the movie but maybe one day.

strawberryshortcake 01-07-08 03:00 AM

I expected the movie to be funnier than what it is. Unfortunately, it was not.

Caught this in theaters. I had high expectations going in. I left disappointed but semi-satisfied. Rent it first.

Talladega Nights = 9/10
Walk Hard = 3.5/10

Plus, I'm usually easily entertained.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809833581/info

But will be looking forward to the special features.

mikelowry 01-07-08 05:36 AM

Big Apatow fan here. Definitely gonna check this out!

darkside 01-07-08 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by peateargryphon

Agree. Both 40 Year Old Virgin and Talladega Nights were much better in their theatrical versions. Thankfully, Sony gave away a version of the theatrical cut of Talladega with early PS3 units so I have that one.

Simpson Purist 01-07-08 08:21 AM

I was kinda surprised at how badly this film flopped hard in the theaters, hopefully it'll find a cult following through DVD.

Glad to see both unrated and R-rated versions are being included on one release.
Spoiler:

Hooray for 30 additional minutes of Dewey Cox talking to "Cox". :p

DJLinus 01-07-08 08:36 AM

I thought this movie was quite funny, so I'm all for this. Also :thumbsup: for including both cuts. Some of the best lines of 40 Year Old Virgin, Talledega Nights and Anchorman were replaced in their unrated versions. Also, some theatrical scenes were dropped altogether (the scene in TN with the pit crew right before they rejoin Ricky Bobby comes to mind), which I don't understand.

I wonder if a performance of the funniest song on the soundtrack - "Dear Mr. President" - ever made it to the film:

Spoiler:
Dear Mr. President
I want you to know
I am deeper than you
Listen and Learn
My heart is a chapel
My head is a steeple
My arms are the people
And the people now yearn

I stand for the midget
I stand for the negro
I stand for the Injun
all hopped up on booze
I stand for the Jap
And I stand for the beaner
And I stand, yes I do
For the Christ-Killin' Jew

I stand for the dyke
And I stand for the retard
I stand for the chinaman
Washing my socks
I stand for the bum
And the pimp and the bugger
And the cripple who lives
On my street in a box

To Conclude, Mr. President
I'm not at all Hesitant
To tell you I think
The first ladies a fox
Her husband, the jerkoff
Is ruining my country
That's all for today
Sincerely, D. Cox

I don't remember if it was played during the end credits or not.

enrage 01-07-08 09:09 AM

This is the Funniest Movie Ever Made.

I laughed my butt off watching this.

MOVIE OF THE YEAR

steebo777 01-07-08 12:22 PM

I missed it in theaters but definitely can't wait to see it.

mdc3000 01-07-08 09:36 PM

YES, glad the blu-ray will feature both cuts... I LOVED this movie (even better the second time) and the songs are fantastic even on their own.. I'll actually be watching the extended performance scenes for this one... can't stop listening to the soundtrack!... really looking forward to the additional footage.

mike2 01-07-08 09:46 PM

I liked knocked up, 40 yr old virgin and superbad....I"ll hit this up netflix style.

Gizmo 01-08-08 12:26 AM

Will be buying this on Blu-ray.

And shocked they still make UMD movies.