Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Movie Directors really care for DVD fans and which ones don't really care?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Which Movie Directors really care for DVD fans and which ones don't really care?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed how some directors consistenly have awesome DVDs of their films, while some consistently have poor DVDs and/or take advantage of DVD buyers.

Here are the most caring directors that I can think of for the DVD fans/collectors:

1. RIDLEY SCOTT - I feel like he has been the most thoughtful to DVD fans: mega-boxsets, loads of interesting extras, excellent video/audio quality, Director's Cuts, definitive-type DVD releases, such as Blade Runner, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down, Legend, Alien.

2. GUILLERMO DEL TORO - it's been known that he is always aware of pleasing his fans (comic book geeks, dvd collectors, etc.). It's a given that all of his future movies will get superb DVD treatment.

3. STEVEN SPIELBERG - for a pretty long list, are any of his movies on DVD of poor DVD quality?

Here are some of the most selfish directors which seem to not care about their DVD fans:

1. GEORGE LUCAS - sure, his Star Wars DVDs are of good quality, but he waits too long to release his Star Wars films on any given current video format. Standard DVD took forever. And now is he gonna put them on HD/Blu Ray? And also for releasing his original non-tampered films as non-anamorphic/stereo is just unforgivable, even more so after watching the anamorphic DVD version of Scott's workprint of Blade Runner. Lucas is just a lier and doesn't really give a rat's ass. Scott released 5 versions of his film all on remastered DVD? Why can't Lucas do that with all his many tampered versions?

2. WOODY ALLEN - aren't his DVDs usually bare-bones?

Can anyone think of any other directors whom care and don't care?
Old 12-13-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wes Anderson. However, that might be because all his films have been released by Criterion.

PT Anderson. All his films have had solid two disc releases, with the exception of Hard Eight.
Old 12-13-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Kevin Smith cares.

Speilberg doesn't!
Old 12-13-07, 04:27 PM
Banned

Directors that care:
Richard Linklater
Terry Gilliam
Robert Rodriguez
Oliver Stone (big thumbs up here...he is amazingly fascinating through all of his commentaries for nearly all of his films.)
Edgar Wright
Kevin Smith
David Fincher
Wes Anderson

Directors who Don't care:
Todd Solondz doesn't give 2 shits obviously.
Alfonso Cuaron
Coen Brothers
Hal Hartley
Old 12-13-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Directors like Woody Allen and David Lynch believe that the films should stand on their own, and don't believe that all the supplemental material (or propaganda) surrounding them is necessary. Some folks equate that to "not caring" about their fans, but I don't see it that way.
Old 12-13-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spielberg is one of the best! What, is he terrible because he won't do commentaries? The documentaries on Jaws and Close Encounters are feature-length and incredibly comprehensive. His newer films have great individual documentaries on production. AI and Minority Report are great examples.

David Lynch is great for being hands-on for the transfers of his films.
Old 12-13-07, 05:12 PM

Dumb Thread......

The Correct answer is none of them care! If I was ultra rich, driving around in my Ferrari in Beverly Hills with a different hottie every night would I really give a crap about you? No! Just shut up and keep buying the product baby!
Old 12-13-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
David Cronenberg seems to be one to not care. I think the only reason we have the SE's we do is because of the studios involved wanting a better edition, not necessarily Cronenberg himself. I know he's another one that prefers to let his films speak for themselves.
Old 12-13-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
It's usually ultimately the studio's final decision regarding special editions, extras, etc. so the praise or blame should often be directed at them. Of course, directors that go above and beyond in partipating in a DVD release should be praised, compared to those who want nothing to do with the release, even at the studios' request. And I feel bad for a director who would really want to help make a SE DVD of their film, only to find the studio has a complete lack of interest in such a project.
Old 12-13-07, 05:29 PM
Banned

ALso on the directors who don't care list:
Luc Besson
Albert Brooks
Mel Brooks
Warren Beatty
Jim Jarmusch
Brian De Palma
Old 12-13-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Directors who Don't care:
Todd Solondz doesn't give 2 shits obviously.
Alfonso Cuaron
How can you say Cuaron doesn't care? Look at Children of Men -- he made a half hour documentary for the DVD showing how wicked capitalism is, and how we need universal health care 'n' stuff. He cares so much it hurts, man!
Old 12-13-07, 07:38 PM

Based on the Prequel DVDs alone, you can't really put George Lucas on that list. I'm sorry, but you just can't.

With the Original Trilogy, it may not have the "theatrical versions that everyone wants to see but the guy who created the damn films doesn't", but considering the quality and the featurettes on that set and given the time frame (ie, in the middle of finishing Episode III), we're all pretty damn lucky that set turned out as good as it did. It has some flaws, but it's a pretty great set, considering the circumstances.

Obviously, there will be another set because the only card Lucas has let to play is the fact that all six films have never been released as one. It will happen one day.

Star Wars fans have no patience.
Old 12-13-07, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpman
Based on the Prequel DVDs alone, you can't really put George Lucas on that list. I'm sorry, but you just can't.

With the Original Trilogy, it may not have the "theatrical versions that everyone wants to see but the guy who created the damn films doesn't", but considering the quality and the featurettes on that set and given the time frame (ie, in the middle of finishing Episode III), we're all pretty damn lucky that set turned out as good as it did. It has some flaws, but it's a pretty great set, considering the circumstances.

Obviously, there will be another set because the only card Lucas has let to play is the fact that all six films have never been released as one. It will happen one day.

Star Wars fans have no patience.
yea this is pretty true, I have all the star wars on DVD cept the 97 or originals, but those prequel DVD's are pretty jam packed. I'm sure some day there will be a HUGE boxset containing Star Wars 1-6 (ALL VERSIONS), Holiday Special, Clones Wars Animated, and it will cost $150-200 bucks...
Old 12-13-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i should think that peter jackson should be on the list for the lotr trilogy and king kong extended/ production diaries etc
Old 12-13-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
Judd Apatow
Old 12-13-07, 09:03 PM

Francis Ford Coppola - Commentaries that are informative and share personal insights, e.g. The Conversation.

Martin Scorsese - Academic and a strong supporter of film culture/tradition, i.e. two hours-long documentaries on American and Italian cinema.

*edit* and David Fincher... expect Alien 3.

Last edited by Apone; 12-13-07 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
yea this is pretty true, I have all the star wars on DVD cept the 97 or originals, but those prequel DVD's are pretty jam packed. I'm sure some day there will be a HUGE boxset containing Star Wars 1-6 (ALL VERSIONS), Holiday Special, Clones Wars Animated, and it will cost $150-200 bucks...
good one
Old 12-14-07, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Spielberg is one of the best! What, is he terrible because he won't do commentaries? The documentaries on Jaws and Close Encounters are feature-length and incredibly comprehensive. His newer films have great individual documentaries on production. AI and Minority Report are great examples.
I don't know, Poltergeist comes to mind. In 2002 a 20th anniversary special edition of the movie was announced, only to be yanked like a month before release date. Then 5 years later, a 25th anniversary special edition was announced for SD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, then they drop the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray for no reason and there is a 30 minute featurette, but not on the movie, on some supernatural crap.

Also, Spielberg is all about money, that is why he does these documentaries. He is very impersonal and thinks he's the greatest director ever. And how do I prove he's all about money? E.T.: 20th Anniversary Edition, removing guns? Need I say more?

Twilight Zone The Movie also comes to mind, barebones anyone?
Old 12-14-07, 02:28 AM

paul verehoeven dvds take a few double dips but are eventually comprehensive
I think every movie he has made has at least 3 releases (does that make him care more) or does that mean he is more into getting our moneys for his ferrari?

david o. russell's three kings dvd was an amazing effort
Old 12-14-07, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
Twilight Zone The Movie also comes to mind, barebones anyone?
I doubt that any of the directors involved wanted to revisit that film.
Old 12-14-07, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Directors like Woody Allen and David Lynch believe that the films should stand on their own, and don't believe that all the supplemental material (or propaganda) surrounding them is necessary. Some folks equate that to "not caring" about their fans, but I don't see it that way.
I don't see it as "not caring" either, since the movie is the thing. We're not obligated to get extras, though they're nice.
Old 12-14-07, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

George Lucas releasing a boxset of everything? It would make massive money, but there is no reason for him to do that with his selfish history. And once again, he is aware that there are fans of all his versions of the original trilogy, he is obviously lying when he said that the original negatives are lost or destroyed, and third, he's a totally insecure filmmaker in contrast to Ridley Scott - Lucas feels that it would be wrong for his films to exist as different versions? While the confident Scott embraces the notion that it is great for his film to be available as different versions. Concerning star wars fans impatience, I can't wait till a real director remakes the Star Wars prequels.
Old 12-14-07, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cares: Ridley Scott (Tops them all!), Quentin Tarantino, David Fincher, Francis Coppola, Oliver Stone, Wolgang Petersen, Martin Scorsese, Judd Apatow, Farelly Brothers

Not: Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Robert Zemekis, Coen Brothers
Old 12-14-07, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I agree with you.

Filmmakers are like magicians. All the "behind the scense" staff and self-explain commentary, sometimes, may not be a good thing... I actually feel that way after I watched all the extra on Terminator 2 DVD.

Woody Allen definately (or at least used to) cares how his movies transfer to home video... if I am not mistaken, "Manhattan" was one of the very first widescreen video... I think included TV boardcast too... that was way before general public know what "letterbox" is...

Just becuase a particular DVD has no extra or commentary, it doesn't mean its director do not care about his movie or audiances.

Last edited by tsetse27; 12-14-07 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a bit of a stupid thread to be honest. A director makes a movie, that's all they do, and if they present their movie the best way possible (ie like Lynch who supervises the transfers, the sound etc) but doesn't have a commentary or anything else you'd classify that as not caring?

I think a lot of people since DVD came into being have started to care more about extras and less about actual movies, wihch is a problem. I can completely understand why director's choose to just want their movie there, presented the best possible way, with nothing else to clutter it up.

I love Judd Apatow, and have dug his movies, and a ton of extras is cool, but sometimes it's just too much, the actual movie gets drowned out of the mix and for all it gains in extras as a DVD it loses something as a movie.

Cronenberg does some of the best commentaries, almost all of his movies have been released with commentaries and some sort of special features that he has been directly involved in (I can only think of the Brood and Scanners who do not have these), so for the guy who put him on the "do not care" list, you're wrong.

I also appreciate Lynch's stance, that movies are a bit of a magic trick, so explaining it too much makes it lose something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.