Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

David Lynch's Lost Highway - 3/25/2008 (Region 1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-11-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Universal Home Video has announced a new edition of the 1997 film Lost Highway which stars Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, and Balthazar Getty. This David Lynch directed film will be available to own from the 25th March, and should retail at around $19.98. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital track. As far as we know, the only extra material on this one will be a 10-Part Multi-Angle Interview with David Lynch.

Last edited by dvd_luver; 12-12-07 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 02:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 514 Likes on 449 Posts
i'm good with my french lenticular import. i thought the movie was decent enough. but yay to the ones that have been waiting a long time for this. i know many have been salivating...
Old 12-11-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Third trip to the well for me. At least all 3 of my copies won't have the same extras. Here's hoping for HD... but I'm just glad to finally have it on R1.
Old 12-11-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
I'll only buy it if it comes out on HD DVD. Otherwise, my MK2 2-disc SE import is more than adequate for me.
Old 12-11-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sticking with my French MK2 edition. And this is yet another missed opportunity by Universal to release an HD-ready transfer on HD-DVD, which I most definitely would've double-dipped for. Nice job, boneheads.
Old 12-12-07, 12:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 603 Posts
^^
I will gladly sell off my MK2 & Australian versions if an HD DVD becomes available, otherwise the two I have are "good enough". I couldn't justify the purchase of another standard definition disc of Lost Highway to the girlfriend at this point...

I strongly suggest that anyone who wants this on HD should email Universal now. Maybe it'll sway them to have the HD released at the same time as the SD...
Old 12-12-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, maybe the Cubs have a chance this year!
Old 12-12-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FINALLY
Have been waiting for this for years, I'm in. Still don't care about HD, so I'm good to go.
Old 12-12-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts
About tim. i've beenw aiitng to get my hands on this for a while.
Old 12-12-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally, definintely picked it up. The movie that introduced me to Rammstein's music before they became big in the US. I loved that soundtrack.
Old 12-12-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Multi-Angle interview? Innnnteresting!

Can't wait, I have never seen this but I'm a huge fan of Lynch's films.
Old 12-12-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus

Oh boy are YOU in for something!

I defintely want to see this again since I last saw in on VHS, but I was hoping for a Lynch commentary. Out of all of his films, to me this one was the biggest head scratcher of them all. WTF was going on?!
Old 12-12-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else have unconditional love for when Robert Loggia attacks the motorist? The scene is hilarious, ranks up there with Walter's "Over the line!" meltdown in Lebowski.
Old 12-12-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, this is finally happening?
Old 12-12-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I was hoping for a Lynch commentary.
Nice one, very funny. Lynch despises commentary tracks, seriously.

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Anyone else have unconditional love for when Robert Loggia attacks the motorist? The scene is hilarious, ranks up there with Walter's "Over the line!" meltdown in Lebowski.
It's Lynch wish fulfillment. He was in a similar situation getting tailgated, and he wanted to do what Loggia did.
Old 12-12-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I defintely want to see this again since I last saw in on VHS, but I was hoping for a Lynch commentary. Out of all of his films, to me this one was the biggest head scratcher of them all. WTF was going on?!
I agree that it's the most perplexing of all of Lynch's films (even "INLAND EMPIRE" has a more easily decipherable narrative). Although I'm certainly not able to reconcile everything, I'm inclined to agree with those that consider this narrative (or two narratives) to be complementary in theme and which come together in something akin to a Mobius Strip.
Old 12-12-07, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus

but what is "Multi-Angle" means? They shot Lynch from different angle while he is talking...?

I already owned the R2 PAL DVD and very satisfied with it. I am curious to see how much R1 DVD can improve.

The movie has very "difficult" picture quality... soft-focus, very dark, a lot of shadow... if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that they shot some of the scenses with stalking (or a pcs of fabic) in front of carmera lense...

But one thing for sure, it has one of the most earth-shaking/scary soundtrack...
Old 12-12-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

artwork:

Old 12-12-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good enough for me, all I really care about is a great transfer of the film. The Lynch interview is a nice bonus.
Old 12-12-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I posted the artwork on the 1st post, I had a feeling that if Universal ever released Lost Highway in the USA on DVD, it would be a Focus Features release. I am with Drop, all that matters here is that Universal delivers a stunning video transfer of the film. I also cannot believe that anyone is complaining at all about this release. We have waited so long for Universal to release Lost Highway on DVD. I know I am stoked about this release.
Old 12-13-07, 04:11 AM

Im picking this up.
Old 12-13-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
I posted the artwork on the 1st post, I had a feeling that if Universal ever released Lost Highway in the USA on DVD, it would be a Focus Features release. I am with Drop, all that matters here is that Universal delivers a stunning video transfer of the film. I also cannot believe that anyone is complaining at all about this release. We have waited so long for Universal to release Lost Highway on DVD. I know I am stoked about this release.
Who's complaining? Now that there have been excellent releases of this film on the market for some time now (with much nicer artwork/packaging and extras, as well as DTS tracks), it's just hard to get particularly excited by a ho-hum edition like this one.

Of course, I hope it'll be the bestest transfer of them all, but to justify a purchase it would have to be a rather obvious improvement in video quality and the same or not much inferior to the mK2's DTS track in audio quality. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-13-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the cover art. That's exactly what it should be. Are they seriously giving this a Dolby Surround track only? Not even 5.1? That has to be a mistake. I'll still pick this one up, though. Anyone know if this is being supervised by Lynch like most of his other DVD?
Old 12-13-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Who's complaining? Now that there have been excellent releases of this film on the market for some time now (with much nicer artwork/packaging and extras, as well as DTS tracks), it's just hard to get particularly excited by a ho-hum edition like this one.
It's very easy to get excited if you only purchase DVDs that work in region 1. The transfer will be the same from the other editions, and I imagine so will the audio. Plus it'll cost probably $15 week of release. Makes me happy.
Old 12-13-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Of course, I hope it'll be the bestest transfer of them all, but to justify a purchase it would have to be a rather obvious improvement in video quality and the same or not much inferior to the mK2's DTS track in audio quality.
It will almost certainly have better audio quality than the MK2 release. The MK2 disc is in PAL format, with the attendant pitch increase.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.