Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

David Lynch's Lost Highway - 3/25/2008 (Region 1)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

David Lynch's Lost Highway - 3/25/2008 (Region 1)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm amenable to being mistaken, however, a most insidious memory has been plaguing me in that case, specifically the use of green in the prison screencaps. This being one of the primary reasons I found the PAL transfer more faithfully represented what I recall.

That notion appears to have been reinforced by one too many viewings of the MK2 disc.

My memory is apparently failing. Medical advice will be sought.
Old 03-19-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The potential but not wildly likely upside is this:

Even though Universal is lazy, of any major studio they license more stuff to Criterion than anyone (Brazil, Fear & Loathing, Videodrome, Two-Lane Blacktop, etc). I still think there is hope that they will someday pass The Game, The Big Lebowski, 21 Grams and perhaps even this their way.

And I agree in that, having never seen this film, I looked at the caps and thought, "are you sure it's supposed to look that bright? The R1 caps look pretty good..."

It's aggravating that the extras vanished though.
Old 03-19-08, 12:15 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need to remember to be more careful where I check DVDBeaver. Not that I don't appreciate Patricia Arquette's ass being splashed four times across my screen, but not so much when I'm at a computer that's in full sight of others...

I think I'm going to hold judgment until there's (hopefully) some word from Lynch's side about whether this transfer was supervised/approved by him; like others, I seem to remember hearing that he was involved with a R1 transfer when he was asked about the possibility of a US release, but I might be misremembering.

Shame about the lack of extras, though.
Old 03-19-08, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
In every one of the comparisons on that page, the Universal disc looks better.
Agreed 100%. I mean, it's not even close. It's like night and day to me, with the new Universal release head and shoulders above the rest. I don't understand the negative comments about the transfer.
Old 03-19-08, 01:32 PM

As an owner of the UK Cinema Club release, I'll definitely be scooping up the R1. Yes, the UK has DTS, but the benefit of having a version unhampered by PAL speedup outweighs this to me. I'm also in the seeming minority who feels the R1 screencaps look vastly superior to the R2s. I always felt the R2s looked way too bright in some scenes.
Old 03-19-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only ever saw this back when I taped it late night on HBO to watch the next day and then found the last part of the movie had been cut off when the VCR stopped recording (ah, the days before DVRs). I would like to get this to fill out my David Lynch collection and to finally see the ending, but what I want to know is... if I do see the ending will it really make any difference? I mean, I saw all of Mulholland Drive and I STILL can't figure that movie out.
Old 03-19-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I DID see Lost Highway shown theatrically, 3 times at 2 different places and I say the new disc is much much closer than the other versions so far. the darkness has been brought back into the new one, the other 3 are so bright and washed out.
Old 03-19-08, 03:09 PM

R1 looks like the version to get. I saw it opening day in 1997 and on widescreen video several times since, and the R1 screencaps seem to reflect the desired color values.

Extras, I won't miss. The ones that are "jam-packing" the overseas editions are probably just fluff pieces. It's not like the overseas "Fire Walk With Me," which had the "Pretty as a Picture" documentary as an extra.

Best "extra" anyway would be the Charlie Rose interview Lynch gave around the time of LH's release. And David Foster Wallace's essay, based on a set visit to LH. Love his comments about Balthazar Getty.
Old 03-19-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine today in the mail, watched it already. Best video/audio transfer for this film out there! hands down. blows away the mk2! Slim on extras but worth it for the movie alone.

pic:
Old 03-19-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Multi-Angle interview? Innnnteresting!

Can't wait, I have never seen this but I'm a huge fan of Lynch's films.
I could not find it, it appears this is a barebones, movie only release from Universal.
Old 03-19-08, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Got mine today in the mail, watched it already. Best video/audio transfer for this film out there! hands down. blows away the mk2! Slim on extras but worth it for the movie alone.

pic:

By slim, do you mean no extras (or just the trailer), or does it by chance include the Lynch interview, and it's simply not indicated on the packaging?
Old 03-19-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alkaline
By slim, do you mean no extras (or just the trailer), or does it by chance include the Lynch interview, and it's simply not indicated on the packaging?
Well, when I got it in the mail I just popped it in and spun it and watched it. After I watched it, did some things around the house and hopped online thinking that the presumed Lynch interview was on it, so that is what I mean't by slim. However it's actually barebones, I followed that up with the reply regarding the Lynch interview, so yes, there are no special features on this disc at all.

This is a movie only DVD! Unless I missed something, Universal did not include it.
Old 03-19-08, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Well, when I got it in the mail I just popped it in and spun it and watched it. After I watched it, did some things around the house and hopped online thinking that the presumed Lynch interview was on it, so that is what I mean't by slim. However it's actually barebones, I followed that up with the reply regarding the Lynch interview, so yes, there are no special features on this disc at all.

This is a movie only DVD! Unless I missed something, Universal did not include it.
Those sly devils! Oh well, I'm forking over all the same.
Old 03-20-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No extras? Lame! At least I've still got the R4 and R2 editions which are pretty loaded with supplements. This copy will be used solely to watch the film with the best possible audio/video presentation.
Old 03-20-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
No extras? Lame! At least I've still got the R4 and R2 editions which are pretty loaded with supplements. This copy will be used solely to watch the film with the best possible audio/video presentation.
since this is so inexpensive, i probably will end up doing the same. i might even keep it in the region 2 case, replacing the PAL movie disc completely.
Old 03-20-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good idea. Since this is an inexpensive DVD from Universal those who own the mk2 or other imported copys that live in the USA should do the upgrade. I don't regret it, no regrets here, waited like 11 years for Universal to just release it like everyone else here, it has a great video transfer, so I am happy. Only thing I will say is that 11 years is enough time to gather 20 DVD's of extra material. So, yes, Universal deserves to be flamed for that. I'm happy it's getting released here in the states.
Old 03-20-08, 03:28 PM

i saw this film theatrically twice, and the new universal screenshots look much more faithful to the original color palette than any of those other editions. as far as the lack of extras, to me those are truly just a bonus if they are there. it is all about the film, and this is one i have been waiting on for a LONG time. will definitley be picking this up on tuesday.
Old 03-27-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Best price for this?
Old 03-27-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
Best price for this?
$14.99 @ BB was best I've seen.
Old 03-27-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$14.99 @ BB was best I've seen.
i wouldnt mind that price if i was actually able to go buy it there, no copies in any of the local best buys, im going to have to order from deep discount for 14.34.
Old 03-27-08, 04:32 PM

Amazon still has it for $13.99, thats the best I've seen if you have something else to add for free shipping or are a prime member.
Old 03-27-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by so it goes
Amazon still has it for $13.99, thats the best I've seen if you have something else to add for free shipping or are a prime member.
Thanks for the head's up!
Old 03-27-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't find it at any retailers in Canada, so I ordered from Amazon.
Old 03-27-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
I couldn't find it at any retailers in Canada, so I ordered from Amazon.
Amazon has the best price online imo. You Canadians deserve to buy this at retail and maybe you could get it for free if you bring in the Pan and Scan copy and smash it on the floor at the register. Tell the cashier it stunk. lol. Anybody who ever spun that disc would sympathize. I'd like to see video of David Lynch himself personally doing just that. Gotta respect your work.
Old 03-27-08, 07:16 PM

What are some of the extras on the R4 and R2 editions?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.