DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Saw IV: Unrated or Rated---January 22, 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...iv.html?page=2

Someone signed up a new screen name on DVDActive just to bash xage?
Haha. That's too funny. I like that he called Xage a "jabroni". You know that guy never gets laid...
Old 01-22-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the end of the commentary on this disc, DLB says he will be back one more time for the extended directors cut with scenes not in this unrated cut. Woohoo
Old 01-22-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
There's nothing special about it... It just includes a copy of "The Ninth Gate". No bonus disc AFAIK.
Ah, thanks. Guess I'll just pick this up at Best Buy then.
Old 01-22-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
At the end of the commentary on this disc, DLB says he will be back one more time for the extended directors cut with scenes not in this unrated cut. Woohoo
I wonder if he gets tired of doing multiple commentaries for each film? He's sometimes on two tracks on one release, then on one or two new more for the later release. You would think you'd run out of things to say after the first commentary?

And I was just thinking. It would be cool if they released a set that contained both rated and unrated versions of the films. And in the case of Saw 3(and maybe 4),rated,unrated and extended.

It would probably be a seemless branching nightmare though. So a huge set with all current released packaged together would be cool and a better solution.
Old 01-22-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He even jokes about it being his 9th commentary on Saw IV. I still love ever one he does and this one is just as good. Lots of good tidbits about the story I missed or didnt get. Except for the letter, he wont tell what it is and says its for the fans to just keep guessing on.
Old 01-22-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, for $14.99 I bought this at CC. Came with a free film cell thing. I don't know if I liked this movie enough to double dip, so unless the new cut coming out in Oct is that much better I'll just stick with what I've got.
Old 01-22-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...iv.html?page=2

Someone signed up a new screen name on DVDActive just to bash xage?

Haha. That's too funny. I like that he called Xage a "jabroni". You know that guy never gets laid...

Ouch, I saw this comment last month at another forum. I never thought it was posted here since last November.
Old 01-23-08, 03:08 AM

Did anyone check out Kmart at all? If so, did they have the unrated versions of Saw 1 and 2 for sale for $2.99 if you bought Saw IV?

Their website is terrible and I can only find Saw 1-3 on site with R rated versions for part 2 only. Meanwhile the ad shows the unrated 2 disc art for Saw 2 but says "R" on the picture.

I don't like Kmart and avoid it like the plaque. But if they had the uncut versions for that low price. I'd be interested in possibly buying it. How much is Saw 4 selling for as well?
Old 01-23-08, 07:31 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

K-Mart is getting $19.99 for Saw 4, and they had the unrated 2 disc version of Saw 2 for $2.99 at the one by my house, but they didn't have Saw or Saw 3.
Old 01-23-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I might just end up holding out for an UBER-Saw collection, even though I've yet to be really impressed by one of the sequels. They're not bad movies at all, they're just not as good as the first. But I think everyone's assuming they're going to stop at six, right? Or whenever the box-office goes down? I know the last movie opened big, but it also plummetted big, and couldn't even double it's opening weekend take, which is a bad sign for the series.
Old 01-23-08, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
typical that's why I'm not buying this version this go around.
Old 01-23-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I think I might just end up holding out for an UBER-Saw collection, even though I've yet to be really impressed by one of the sequels. They're not bad movies at all, they're just not as good as the first. But I think everyone's assuming they're going to stop at six, right? Or whenever the box-office goes down? I know the last movie opened big, but it also plummetted big, and couldn't even double it's opening weekend take, which is a bad sign for the series.
I believe they said at the beginning of making part 3 that 6 was the end of this story arc. now if they continue w/ someone else or another story arc for 7 and up... I hope it stops at six. Like SW, i want more but 6 is more than enough.
Old 01-23-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
After sifting through the special features last night, I can definitely see the re-release coming this September or October. All the mini featurettes looked like they were pulled from the web. There is only 1 deleted scene even though Bousman mentioned the movie had an extended ending with more than 5 minutes of material. Hopefully in the next release they will once again get Tobin Bell to do a commentary as he did in Part 3 DC.

I do look forward to seeing David Hackl's take on the franchise when he direct's V and VI.
Old 01-23-08, 01:13 PM

i thought Saw 5 wouldnt be coming until 2009? i read they were gonna skip this year...?

-NiCK
Old 01-23-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

5 is due out on Oct 24, 2008 and 6 probably on Oct 23 or 30 2009 from a previous article I read somewhere online w/ David Hackl.

The additional scenes that probably will show up on the extended cut of saw IV include John visiting Gideon's grave (shown in the video diaries on the disc), the man in the glass case (which DLB says was so gruesome even the studio wanted it pulled for now), and whatever the 5 mins at the end was unless it was the grave site visit. There was also the one deleted scene they could put back in that was on the disc. cant wait. Hope it has a free ticket to saw V!
Old 01-23-08, 02:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
5 is due out on Oct 24, 2008 and 6 probably on Oct 23 or 30 2009 from a previous article I read somewhere online w/ David Hackl.

The additional scenes that probably will show up on the extended cut of saw IV include John visiting Gideon's grave (shown in the video diaries on the disc), the man in the glass case (which DLB says was so gruesome even the studio wanted it pulled for now), and whatever the 5 mins at the end was unless it was the grave site visit. There was also the one deleted scene they could put back in that was on the disc. cant wait. Hope it has a free ticket to saw V!
oh so it's filmmaking by committee... please, director's nowadays are such tools, manipulated by the producers/the studios/test audiences - it's a joke.
Old 01-23-08, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
oh so it's filmmaking by committee... please, director's nowadays are such tools, manipulated by the producers/the studios/test audiences - it's a joke.
You must be reading my thoughts.
Old 01-23-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I would bet that there are very few directors that truely have the final say in what is the final product. Spielberg, Lucas, Stone, Coppola, etc. They have the clout to demand final say, but far more don't.
Old 01-23-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe they said at the beginning of making part 3 that 6 was the end of this story arc. now if they continue w/ someone else or another story arc for 7 and up... I hope it stops at six. Like SW, i want more but 6 is more than enough.
Yeah, I agree. After six, I don't think it's a franchise I'm going to want to own. But I've yet to see the fourth, and if five and six are good, I'm down.
Old 01-24-08, 12:12 AM

Do anyone of you here have a hard time finding an R-rated release?
Old 01-24-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xage
Not to cause offense, but you may be the only person on earth interested in this (well maybe Giggles because I think he caught your psychosis)

I just can't see anyone with a choice NOT choosing the UR version.

"I like the Saw series but I just don't like gore."

See, that doesn't make any sense at all. Only someone who doesn't know an unrated version exists or an EXTREME completist would buy the R version.
Old 01-24-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
When I bought it at Target I saw plenty of R-rated versions.
Old 01-24-08, 01:55 AM

it intrigues me since I only saw two out of 7stores i stopped by...
Old 01-24-08, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Only [...] an EXTREME completist would buy the R version.
You see, herein lies the truth
Old 01-24-08, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Not to cause offense, but you may be the only person on earth interested in this (well maybe Giggles because I think he caught your psychosis)

I just can't see anyone with a choice NOT choosing the UR version.

"I like the Saw series but I just don't like gore."

See, that doesn't make any sense at all. Only someone who doesn't know an unrated version exists or an EXTREME completist would buy the R version.
Well sometimes there are slight non-gore changes made between the versions. So if someone liked this one moment that was omitted from the UR version. They would have to seek out the R version to see it. And I hear there is one such omission in Saw 4.

So you can't be 100% "UR is better automatically,no questions asked". Just like you can't be "Directors Cut is automatically better". Look at the Saw 3 DC which changes/extends the ending. And most people feel it's the least effective of the three versions of the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.