Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate My DVD Collection

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-07, 04:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
While the majority of my collection is within the last 30 years (heck, 15 years); if I had to choose to throw out every film newer or older than 30 years of age, I'd lose the newer stuff.

My three favorite films are are 31+ years old.
Old 11-17-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is why i miss seeing the Best 3, Worst 3, Most Needed 3 near the top of the forum. Always a nice way to browse people collections. Someone should start a new one since the old one is at 600 post.

I am amazed at someone who won't watch films earlier than the 70's...amazed.
Old 11-17-07, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by gmerreighnjr; 12-26-09 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
Maybe you're not thinking this through. Are you saying that any movie produced before 1970 is "not worth mentioning"? I can understand why you might not yet appreciate, say, Pandora's Box or Ikiru, but are you really sure that such a blanket statement is wise?

The Wizard of Oz?

Gone With The Wind?

King Kong?

West Side Story?

2001: A Space Odyssey?

Frankenstein and Dracula?

The Ten Commandments?

Singing in the Rain?

Every John Ford western?

Almost every classic Disney film?

These are not worth mentioning?

No wonder you own Disorderlies! <claps hands a la a Vegas dealer> I'm out.
I am 21 years old. Wizard of Oz I seen and I seen the version with Michael Jackson. Is Wizard of Oz a good movie? Yes, but how many times can you watch it? Honestly if you can watch the movie more then 3 times bless your soul. The only people that I know love this movie are really old.

The only good movie besides that on the list is 2001 space odessy. Besides that its junk. I think the internet is a funny thing. Honestly I dont like star trek or star wars and people go NUTS. Did you see jimmy kimmel cut the line at star wars and how ANGRY people got. It's just a movie, it will be in theaters for months you will see it.

I understand these people were waiting in line for a game system because you might not find it even after a year goes by (look at the wii). Just because A LOT of people say something is good doesn't mean it is.
Old 11-17-07, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by THFM
I am 21 years old. Wizard of Oz I seen and I seen the version with Michael Jackson. Is Wizard of Oz a good movie? Yes, but how many times can you watch it? Honestly if you can watch the movie more then 3 times bless your soul. The only people that I know love this movie are really old.

The only good movie besides that on the list is 2001 space odessy. Besides that its junk. I think the internet is a funny thing. Honestly I dont like star trek or star wars and people go NUTS. Did you see jimmy kimmel cut the line at star wars and how ANGRY people got. It's just a movie, it will be in theaters for months you will see it.

I understand these people were waiting in line for a game system because you might not find it even after a year goes by (look at the wii). Just because A LOT of people say something is good doesn't mean it is.
You and I think alot alike. I agree with a lot of things you are saying. But having said that I am not beyond watching some of the older films. While I have seen some, I have not been exposed to much.
Alot of people here love criterions, I am pretty ignorant in that department and would like learn more.

So good members of dvdtalk, I implore you to look at my collection and please give me recommendation on some older films and criterions I can check out. Out of everything I said earlier, I still love films and will give anything a try at least once.
Old 11-17-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterMidnite

So good members of dvdtalk, I implore you to look at my collection and please give me recommendation on some older films and criterions I can check out. Out of everything I said earlier, I still love films and will give anything a try at least once.
I like your collection because I could find something to entertain me in any mood. I especially like some of your off-beat selections--The Last Dragon is hilarious, Battle Royale is awesome (and seriously needs a US release which it will never get), and you own Straw Dogs, probably the most problematic and disturbing film Peckinpah ever directed.

You seem to like Asian action films, so you might want to explore some chambara films like The Sword of Doom or Kill!. I notice you own The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, so you you might want to check out The Assassination Bureau, a movie along similar themes which features the incandescent Diana Rigg when she was still a hot bit o' crumpet. (I may be gay, but I'm not blind.)

Last edited by Gobear; 11-18-07 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-17-07, 11:53 PM

So I've been reading into this post, thats become more of a war, and I began to ponder something: who gets to decide what is a good movie and what is not? Movie critics, people who major in film, or Yakuza Bengoshi? Because really, I don't think anyone gets that right. As you all have proved, every person has a different taste, and for this particular subject, in movies. What I may like and what THFM may like will more than likely be completely different. Maybe I think my movie collection is better than his. But does that give me the right to completely put him down? No, not at all. Yes, you may argue that he asked for his collection to be rated in the first place. But he did not ask for people to talk down to him. This is supposed to be a site discussing movies right? At least we know that everyone here has that common hobby. But why turn a simple question into a war against THFM? Especially you, Yakuza Bengoshi. What gives you the right to think your collection is the best? I honestly didn't like it at all, but hey whatever floats your boat right? Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I get to put you down for it. I also don't like your "I'm better then everyone else" attitude. Its pretty sad that you'd rather put some random person down on the internet then do something more productive with your time.
Old 11-17-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gmerreighnjr
i'll throw my "collection" up for review (link is my sig)--i've only been collecting for a few months now and yes i have a 2yr old and am a wrestling fan

while i dont really grade collections since everyone has different tastes...i like looking through lists for new movies..

I dont enjoy comedies often *i think i own 20 tops* and take out the wwe and kids movies we share the same interest in alot of offbeat titles *well off beat from what my friends think anyways.

Happiness is actually one of my favorite titles.
Old 11-17-07, 11:59 PM

I like your collection because I could find something to entertain me in any mood. I especially like some of your off-beat selections--The Last Dragon is hilarious, Battle Royale is awesome (and seriously needs a US release which it will never get), and you own Straw Dogs, probably the most problematic and disturbing film Peckinpah ever directed.

You seem to like Asian action films, so you might want to explore some chambara films like The Sword of Doom or Kill!. I notice you own The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, so you you might want to check out The Assassination Bureau, a movie along similar themes which features the incandescent Diana Rigg when she was still a hot bit o' crumpet. (I may be gay, but I'm not blind.)
Thanks for the suggestions I looked them up and due to the sale at dvdplanet will be purchasing all 3 as the descriptions piqued my interest.
Old 11-18-07, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by cguardado
So I've been reading into this post, thats become more of a war, and I began to ponder something: who gets to decide what is a good movie and what is not? Movie critics, people who major in film, or Yakuza Bengoshi? Because really, I don't think anyone gets that right. As you all have proved, every person has a different taste, and for this particular subject, in movies. What I may like and what THFM may like will more than likely be completely different. Maybe I think my movie collection is better than his. But does that give me the right to completely put him down? No, not at all. Yes, you may argue that he asked for his collection to be rated in the first place. But he did not ask for people to talk down to him. This is supposed to be a site discussing movies right? At least we know that everyone here has that common hobby. But why turn a simple question into a war against THFM? Especially you, Yakuza Bengoshi. What gives you the right to think your collection is the best? I honestly didn't like it at all, but hey whatever floats your boat right? Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I get to put you down for it. I also don't like your "I'm better then everyone else" attitude. Its pretty sad that you'd rather put some random person down on the internet then do something more productive with your time.

Thank You.
Old 11-18-07, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
I noticed you have Cube Zero but not Cube. Why's that? The latter is the better of the two.
You are correct. I found cube zero for $1.99 so I decided to get it, and have been waiting for a decent deal on the first. Horray!

Originally Posted by Trevor
I stopped when I saw a wrestling DVD.

Just kidding. Looks like mine, so darn good for a mainstream collection.

Too much Sandler though. And much too new; only 15 films before 1970, but at least they are all one's worth owning (imho).
Wrestling DVD? where?!
Old 11-18-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

who gets to decide what is a good movie and what is not? Movie critics, people who major in film, or Yakuza Bengoshi?
Depends on the context. For a thread entitled “Rate My DVD Collection” it’s every random person that clicks his or her way into the thread.

he did not ask for people to talk down to him.
Since you use my username in two other places in this post, I think you may be including me in these “people” to whom you refer. If so, what comment of mine are you referring to specifically?

This is supposed to be a site discussing movies right?
Right.

But why turn a simple question into a war against THFM? Especially you, Yakuza Bengoshi.
So first I’m talking down to the OP, and now I’m also warring against him? Again, how so? The only comment of mine directed at the OP to which I think you could be referring is this: “It'd be hard to come up with a collection of DVDs I'd dislike more than yours.” However, since that’s merely an explanation for the rating that follows, I can’t believe that sole statement is what you’re referring to.

What gives you the right to think your collection is the best?
You’re saying you don’t think I have a right of individual liberty that’s broad enough to include thinking and professing that my DVD collection is the better than that of my fellow citizen? Exactly what kind of Statist are you?

I honestly didn't like it at all, but hey whatever floats your boat right?
Right.

I also don't like your "I'm better then everyone else" attitude.
I can’t help how you chose to read my posts, and so don’t know how to respond regarding this attitude to which you refer. If you want to talk about my posts do so and I’ll respond. If you want to talk about how you perceive my posts generally, I’ll listen, but I can’t very well respond to your amorphous attacks.

Its pretty sad that you'd rather put some random person down on the internet then do something more productive with your time.
Was this self-criticism, or something directed at me again?
Old 11-18-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
You might just as well have said "Old movies suck, and you suck if you watch them." Either way, you can see it produced the same effect.
Well, most of this thread consists of "modern movies and mainstream comedies suck and you suck since you own them"
Old 11-18-07, 09:38 AM

I think it is a decent collection. Can't go wrong with Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead. I have a fair few of the titles in your collection.
Old 11-18-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Wizard of Oz?

Gone With The Wind?

King Kong?

West Side Story?

2001: A Space Odyssey?

Frankenstein and Dracula?

The Ten Commandments?

Singing in the Rain?

Every John Ford western?

Almost every classic Disney film?
If I thought these titles were representative of pre-1970s classics that the OP should appreciate, I might give up on trying to like old movies too. I'd recommend the following titles as a gateway for the OP into the pre-1970 films:

Ace in the Hole
Double Indemnity
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
A Fistful of Dollars
Psycho
Seven Samurai
The Tale of Zatoichi
Old 11-18-07, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
If I thought these titles were representative of pre-1970s classics that the OP should appreciate, I might give up on trying to like old movies too. I'd recommend the following titles as a gateway for the OP into the pre-1970 films:

Ace in the Hole
Double Indemnity
A Fistful of Dollars
Psycho
Seven Samurai
The Tale of Zatoichi
Okay Psycho is a classic, I have to agree with that. I wouldnt' watch it more then 3 or 4 times but its good. All I'm saying is are there movies pre 70's that are good? Yes. But would I own more then 100 movies from that era? No.
Old 11-18-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ace in the Hole
Double Indemnity
A Fistful of Dollars
Psycho
Seven Samurai
The Tale of Zatoichi
Those are all excellent choices (with the exception of Sergio Leone's Yojimbo remake), but don't you think that they are too advanced for this crowd? You have to meeet people where they are and lead them along in small increments. For example, Seven Samurai is an astounding treasure of world cinema and one of my favorite films, but it is also 3 hours long, in black and white, and subtitled. Don't you think that's a tad overwhelming for someone with the OP's lack of familiarity with challenging films?

And A Fistful of Dollars? If you're going to pick a Westernized warmover of a Kurosawa film, why not The Magnificent Seven?
Old 11-18-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

All I'm saying is are there movies pre 70's that are good? Yes.
Oh, okay. I must have misunderstood, I thought you were saying

I dont' like old movies sorry if its before the 1970's its not worht mentioning.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll get rid of it as a sig if you're reputiating that statement now.

Those are all excellent choices (with the exception of Sergio Leone's Yojimbo remake), but don't you think that they are too advanced for this crowd? You have to meeet people where they are and lead them along in small increments. For example, Seven Samurai . . . is also 3 hours long, in black and white, and subtitled. Don't you think that's a tad overwhelming for someone with the OP's lack of familiarity with challenging films?
If I thought that I wouldn't have recommended it. However, I do question now why cguardado was directing his comments at me and not you.

And A Fistful of Dollars? If you're going to pick a Westernized warmover of a Kurosawa film, why not The Magnificent Seven?
For two reasons. First, I'd also recommended Seven Samurai, and didn't want to suggest that pre-1970s films are all just rehashes of the same plot. Second, I don't much like The Magnificent Seven, but I do like A Fistful of Dollars.
Old 11-18-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

However, I do question now why cguardado was directing his comments at me and not you.
By all means, let him. People in this thread have confused preferences for judgment. We all have our preferences--some of us like ketchup on our fries, and some like malt vinegar and salt, and still others enjoy mayonnaise. In the same vein, some people enjoy science fiction or the films of Godard, and others do not and that's fine.

However, I strongly object to stretching this concept to all film criticism, so that because Pauly Shore and Ernst Lubitsch both made comedies, their films are equal in quality; to me that idea is absurd. Or worse, that Lubitsch's films. being old and in B/W, are inferior to Shore's.

Last edited by Gobear; 11-18-07 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 01:30 PM

By all means, let him. Peopl in his thread hae confused prferences for judgment. We all have our preferences--some of us like ketchup on our fries, and some like malt vinegar and salt, and still others enjoy mayonnaise. In the samen vein, some people enjoy science fiction or the films of Godard, and others do not and that's fine

However, I strongly object to stretching this concept to all film criticism, so that because Pauly Shore and Ernst Lubitsch both made comedies, their films are equal in quality, and to me that idea is absurd. Or worse, that Lubitsch's films. being old and in B/W, are inferior to Shore's.
True
Old 11-18-07, 07:07 PM

To clear up some confusion, I'm a girl.Thanks.

Last edited by cguardado; 11-18-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

To clear up some confusion, I'm a girl.Thanks.
That's refreshing. Welcome. I hope you stick around.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 11-18-07 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You guys think some of these movies are bad, you should see my Mother's collection. I don't see how we are related sometimes. I was trying to get her to watch Match Point and she had no interest and talked through it and made ridiculous assumptions about it. She complained that Short Cuts was too real and had too much yelling. Oh but hey, Battlefield Earth is a fine film.
Old 11-18-07, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
You guys think some of these movies are bad, you should see my Mother's collection. I don't see how we are related sometimes. I was trying to get her to watch Match Point and she had no interest and talked through it and made ridiculous assumptions about it. She complained that Short Cuts was too real and had too much yelling. Oh but hey, Battlefield Earth is a fine film.

In my opinion, Match Point is a good movie. But I don't think a lot of people share the same interest in movies with their Mothers. My mom and I do to a point, but that doesn't go very far. As for your mom, you might hate her collection, but she loves it and thats all that matters.
Old 11-18-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

who gets to decide what is a good movie and what is not? Movie critics, people who major in film, or Yakuza Bengoshi? Because really, I don't think anyone gets that right.
I'm not ignoring the rest of your post but I've seen this argument numerous times and it always annoys me. That's like saying my stick figure drawings are better than something Monet, Dali, or Picasso have drawn because no one has the right to judge them even though it's obvious to anyone with any sense of intelligence will differentiate my junk from art.

We all collect for various reasons - entertainment, art, or both. Gobear said something wonderful earlier in the thread, "Movies can be more than junk food for the mind; they can be art that ennobles the soul and expands the imagination" but not everyone adheres to that mentality. Some people just like to see crap blown up but I like to think most things I do make me a better, more tolerant, deeper person and look at movies as a way of enriching my soul to some degree.

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 11-18-07 at 08:04 PM. Reason: fix some grammar

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.