DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Rate My DVD Collection (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/517388-rate-my-dvd-collection.html)

domino harvey 11-16-07 12:12 PM

Points awarded for being a Cheaters fan. All other available points deducted for everything you own that is not the Cheaters set.

THFM 11-16-07 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by domino harvey
Points awarded for being a Cheaters fan. All other available points deducted for everything you own that is not the Cheaters set.

HHAHAHA thanks man

redbill 11-16-07 12:32 PM

I'd rate THFM's collection a D-
Snowmaker's a D
Yakuza's 1st post & collection both an A...

Johnny Zhivago 11-16-07 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by THFM
any movie made before 1970 is not even worth mentioning

-popcorn-

Have at it guys...

Gobear 11-16-07 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by THFM
any movie made before 1970 is not even worth mentioning and you got lots of those movies.

Oh, my.

I don't generally use smilies in lieu of words, but this is the only apropos response. .
:jawdrop:

Johnny Zhivago 's collection reflects excellent taste in films, and he owns several noir titles and Criterions that are on my wishlist. Even though it's a small collection in this milieu, his DVDs show intelligence and discriminating taste.

a pity about all those pre-1970s DVDs, though. . .-wink-

DVDho78DTS 11-16-07 12:58 PM

I'm not going to comment on your collection except to say it takes some big ones down below to own The Garbage Pail Kids Movie. :lol: :up: Coming from someone who still has a box of those trading cards somewhere around here.

Johnny Zhivago 11-16-07 01:13 PM

Gobear - Thanks... I wasn't really looking for input on my collection but I appreciate it. And yeah, it's hard to believe they even made movies before 1970... Did they have cameras back then? And sound?

Wait, people were alive before 1970? :eek:

Matthew Ackerly 11-16-07 01:17 PM

wow, you really are missing out on some great films if thats your mindset. You must be 16. You'll wise up when u get older and discover the "classics"

Frenzal Rhomb 11-16-07 01:46 PM

Yakuza Bengoshi ,

Just took a quick look at your collection, in the ''Viewed section / Lesser'', do you mean that those movies are not good?

While I agree with you on about 80-85% of those, I still think that some deserve better.

Walter Neff 11-16-07 01:50 PM

Without even looking at the original poster's collection, I'm going to guess it sucks. My collection, meanwhile, rules. The end. (You'll notice I don't have a link to my collection in my signature.)

Yakuza Bengoshi 11-16-07 02:05 PM

Frenzal Rhomb it's really a mixed bag of reasons for titles to end up there. It could be that the title is just plain bad, or it could be competently executed and viscerally exciting but ultimately a lesser film because it’s pandering, derivative or all surface and no substance, etc. It just depends. The one thing they have in common is that I never want to see any of them again.

Were there particular titles you wanted to make a case for?

Silverscreenvid 11-16-07 02:14 PM

This has to be one of the silliest threads I've seen on here in a long time. I have over 1400 titles on DVD (that's separate movies and TV series, not individual boxes), and mine overlap all the lists shown to some extent. There's other titles on those lists that I would like to get and may wind up getting some day, and still others that I would never get under any circumstances.

This question is like opening your refrigerator and saying what do you think of my food collection or opening your closet and saying what do you think of my clothes collection. Everyone's taste is going to differ, and often your opinion of someone else's collection depends on how closely it meshes with your own.

Before I buy a DVD, I ask myself: Is this a movie I enjoyed and would enjoy seeing again? If I haven't seen the movie, is it one I think I would enjoy based on everything I know about it? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, I might buy it. If not, I move on.

I don't buy movies because they are popular or critically acclaimed or because they're the sort of DVD the people I hang out with probably have or because I think it might impress other people if they saw it in my house or if I showed them a list having that particular title. I do it so I can be entertained by them when I watch them.

I can't post my list because I only have it as an access database which doesn't allow for posting very quickly or easily. However, I hope for all your sakes that the DVD's you have are there because you like them. If so, then you have a good collection. If not, then you don't.

Frenzal Rhomb 11-16-07 02:25 PM

oh no, some are plain bad, but take titles like Ben-Hur, Spartacus, Blues Brothers (might just be because I grew up watching that one), Boogie Nights, The Crow for some reasons hehe, Dawn of the Dead the original, The Deer Hunter, Edward Scissorhands (even though I do understand why someone would not like it), Evil Dead for being the guilty pleasure that they both are ;p, Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas had its moments, Fiend Without a Face , The Fly, Gone with the Wind, Halloween the original, Jaws, King Kong (original), Ferris Bueller's Day Off (grew up to this), The Matrix even though not a big fan of Reeves, Once Upon a Time in America, The Pianist, Singin' in the Rain..All About My Mother, Almost Famous

and some that are decent movies, not spectacular but surely watchable such as Layer Cake, Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels, Mad Max, Motorcycle Diaries, Near Dark, Ray, Robocop, Saving Private Ryan, Sea Inside, The Sixth Sense, Swimming iwth Sharks, Swingers, Usual Suspects, Virgin Suicides, War of the Worlds (original), American Splendor, E.T.

but you're totally entitled to your own opinion and I respect that, but those are just a few that sparked to my eyes.

Darth_Toxic 11-16-07 02:26 PM

THFM: You've got a few good titles. I'd normally give you a C, but since I feel generous today, you get a B-

Somebody rate mine. It's not great, but it's still in the early stages.

Yakuza Bengoshi 11-16-07 02:50 PM

Frenzal Rhomb, that's a lot. Some of those titles aren't too bad so I'll add a little further explaination. The titles I list as "essential" and "great" I'll likely buy someday. The titles I list as "very good" or "of interest" are titles I'll probably never buy but that I might want to refer to again. The "lesser" titles are everything else.

Might have been too hard on:
Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels

Not bad, per se, but not something I'd want to see again:
Ben-Hur
Spartacus
Boogie Nights
Edward Scissorhands
Evil Dead
Gone with the Wind
(wife loves it, so I may yet see it again)
The Fly (I've seen it too many times)
Fiend Without a Face
King Kong (original)
Once Upon a Time in America
Singin' in the Rain
All About My Mother
Almost Famous
Swingers
War of the Worlds (original)
Usual Suspects
Virgin Suicides
Ray
The Sixth Sense

I liked as a kid, but grew out of:
Blues Brothers
The Crow
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
E.T.
Jaws
Mad Max
Near Dark
Robocop

Some good elements, but spoiled by the bad parts:
The Deer Hunter
The Matrix
The Pianist
American Splendor
Motorcycle Diaries
Saving Private Ryan

Never worked for me:
Dawn of the Dead
Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas
Halloween
Layer Cake
Sea Inside
Swimming with Sharks

Snowmaker 11-16-07 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi

Snowmaker, you're collection is a little better than THFM, but not much. You and I have a handful of titles in common, none of which I really care for, and including the 2 that THFM has. I'd give you a 3 out of 100.

Hope that helps guys.

Not really. You've got a lot of artsy ones and things I've never heard of.

Sean O'Hara 11-16-07 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Frenzal Rhomb 11-16-07 03:23 PM

Frenzal Rhomb, that's a lot. Some of those titles aren't too bad so I'll add a little further explaination. The titles I list as "essential" and "great" I'll likely buy someday. The titles I list as "very good" or "of interest" are titles I'll probably never buy but that I might want to refer to again. The "lesser" titles are everything else.

Might have been too hard on:
Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels

Not bad, per se, but not something I'd want to see again:
Ben-Hur
Spartacus
Boogie Nights
Edward Scissorhands
Evil Dead
Gone with the Wind
(wife loves it, so I may yet see it again)
The Fly (I've seen it too many times)
Fiend Without a Face
King Kong (original)
Once Upon a Time in America
Singin' in the Rain
All About My Mother
Almost Famous
Swingers
War of the Worlds (original)
Usual Suspects
Virgin Suicides
Ray
The Sixth Sense

I liked as a kid, but grew out of:
Blues Brothers
The Crow
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
E.T.
Jaws
Mad Max
Near Dark
Robocop

Some good elements, but spoiled by the bad parts:
The Deer Hunter
The Matrix
The Pianist
American Splendor
Motorcycle Diaries
Saving Private Ryan

Never worked for me:
Dawn of the Dead
Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas
Halloween
Layer Cake
Sea Inside
Swimming with Sharks

hehe, I much prefer the list this way. I see you're not a big horror fan right? All and all, it might just be me who has a somewhat ''ok'' taste in movies.

Sex Fiend 11-16-07 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Gobear - Thanks... I wasn't really looking for input on my collection but I appreciate it. And yeah, it's hard to believe they even made movies before 1970... Did they have cameras back then? And sound?

Wait, people were alive before 1970? :eek:

[typical self-centered twenty-something year old]
Nothing important happened before I was born, and nothing important will happen after I die... which by the way, will be never.
[/typical self-centered twenty-something year old]

Gobear 11-16-07 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker

But isn't part of the utility of this forum that one learns about films that one has never heard of? Movies can be more than junk food for the mind; they can be art that ennobles the soul and expands the imagination. Take Carl Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc. I would never have heard of this film were it not for my participation in film forums, and it is one of the greatest films ever made, IMO.

I do not understand the narrowminded POV of people who declare that any film that is from the silent era, is in black and white, and was made before 1970 is too incomprehensible to watch. Whatever happened to opening your mind to embrace new perspective and fresh ideas, to learn about the noblest aspirations of humanity through works of the intellect?

Zen Peckinpah 11-16-07 03:54 PM

** out of ****. They Live and Three O'Clock High can cancel out the bad taste of Big Top Pee-wee and Caddyshack II.

Then again, I own The Godfather, Goodfellas, The Shawshank Redemption, and Once Upon a Time in the West, whereas Cobra, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, Death Wish 3, and Maximum Overdrive also exist in said collection.

The Bus 11-16-07 04:02 PM

As for snooze fests, I generally like 'em. Thick plots are often cover for weak technique. A thin plot is a high wire act.

This is a pretty brilliant opinion. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's a great way to look at it. I mean, Aguirre has almost no plot to speak of, but it's great.

I'll give you the opposite though: an extremely complex plot can also be a marvel, if it is executed deftly. I love seeing movies where you can pick up details of the story the more and more you watch them.

Yakuza Bengoshi 11-16-07 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
I see you're not a big horror fan right?

No, I'm not a big fan, but I don't dismiss it out of hand. I like a few horror titles, especially Japanese, both modern (Dark Water, Ju-on, Ringu) and classic (Kuroneko, Kwaidan, Onibaba).

Originally Posted by Gobear
The Passion of Joan of Arc

You just put your finger on one of the best films ever made there. I've never seen a better performance from any actor ever than the one provided by Maria Falconetti in that film. Have you seen Dreyer's other masterpiece Ordet available in the all-around excellent Carl Th. Dreyer Boxset from The Criterion Collection?

DVDsAreMyLIFE 11-16-07 04:20 PM

Most people on here own crap I would never watch or waste my money on (including Yakuza here). I own a lot of crap most people on here wouldn't watch or waste there money on. To each their own crap, just enjoy what you like.

Yakuza Bengoshi 11-16-07 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'll give you the opposite though: an extremely complex plot can also be a marvel, if it is executed deftly. I love seeing movies where you can pick up details of the story the more and more you watch them.

I can respect this opinion, but I don't share it. I admire the achievement of Welles' Citizen Kane, and it can be fun to figure out a Hitchcock film or something like Memento, but for me they're like playing a game. It's fun to do, but the lasting effect is near nil.

I just wrote up a review of a snoozefest film, Millennium Mambo, yesterday. It's a long review and I doubt that anyone really cares to read it, or all of it anyway, but I think it says a lot about what I find so terrific about slower films. Here it is should anyone care to skim:

If Cinephile were a title earned through examination, then having seen the films of Hou Hsiao-hsien would qualify for extra credit. Despite being a prolific darling of the festival circuit for over twenty years, the oeuvre of this remarkable Taiwanese director is nearly unknown by American viewers. Only four of Hou’s fourteen films completed prior to Millennium Mambo have been released on DVD in North America, and three of those are now out of print.

American distributors consider Hou’s films too difficult (read boring) for American audiences, and Millennium Mambo is no exception. It contains elements of drama, romance, action, comedy, and mystery, but not in the hyperbolic manner fashionable in Hollywood films. Under Hou’s masterful direction, these elements are presented in such elliptical, obscure, understated and sly ways that would-be American distributors are left puzzled as to how to market it. No doubt this partially explains why two and a half years passed between the film’s festival début at Cannes and its limited theatrical release in the United States.

Millennium Mambo is most certainly not the schizophrenic mystery that one of its American theatrical trailer suggests. Rather, it is a finely crafted showcase for the work of longtime Hou-collaborators, writer Chu T’ien-wen and cinematographer Mark Li Ping-bin (better known for his work on Wong Kar-wai’s In The Mood For Love), and first-time collaborator Lim Giong, who perfectly scores the film with techno, trance and deep house tracks. Millennium Mambo rewards viewers who appreciate that the film’s mechanics (direction, lighting, camera work, scene dressing and location, score, dialogue, acting, and editing) serve the mood of the film but are not slave to the storyline. Conversely, viewers who are inculcated to expect that every image on the screen and every sound on the audio track are there primarily to move the plot toward a tidy end will be exasperated, confused, or bored by this film.

I prefer not to dwell on the plot, not because revealing the details will spoil the viewing experience (it won’t), but because the particulars are not really that important or interesting. Millennium Mambo is the story of Vicky (Shu Qi), a young woman living in Taipei in 2001, who breaks up with her layabout boyfriend Hao-hao (Tuan Chun-hao), quits her job, and follows middle-aged gangster Jack Kao (Jack Kao) to Japan, as remembered and narrated by Vicky ten years later.

Vicky’s narration and the images they invoke are not to be completely trusted. At minimum, the narration shifts backwards and forwards in her story in a manner than only reveals itself as the story progresses. Beyond this though, whole portions of the story may either be fantasy or so out of temporal context as to be misleading as presented. For example, I don’t believe that Vicky actually goes to Hokkaido, Japan before following Jack to Tokyo as the narrative suggests, but whether she does or not ultimately is inconsequential. These fantasies or temporal shifts are not mysteries that require us to grapple with them to understand or appreciate the film so much as they are reminders to careful viewers that we’re observing the story from Vicky’s perspective ten years after the events portrayed. We are not viewing objective truth.

Another clue that the plot is not terribly important to what Hou is after is that Vicky’s story is actually much less interesting than Jack’s, so if plot were key, Millennium Mambo would be Jack’s story not Vicky’s. Jack is a mid-level player in a Taiwanese crime-syndicate who, we may infer, is ordered to kill his closest subordinate, Doze (Doze Niu), for a transgression involving a fight and possibly a theft, the details of which we are not supplied. Rather than carry out the execution order, Jack calls in favors in an attempt to get the order rescinded, and flees to Japan to buy more time. Instead of revealing what happens to Jack at this point, I’ll simply note that our understanding of events remains limited by what Vicky knows and chooses to share, but if you expect Jack’s story to be neatly concluded at the end, you’ll be in for a major disappointment, though you may find a degree of solace in the alternative ending provided as an extra feature.

Having disposed of the plot, we can turn to what makes this film so amazing: the mechanics of the filmmaking, specifically, the orchestration of the cinematography, music, dialogue and acting into a pitch-perfect mood piece depicting the memories of a early-middle-aged woman looking back on a pivotal period in her young-adult life. The filmmaking techniques are employed in a rather formalized manner that replaces the narrative as the overarching superstructure of the film.

Cinematographer Mark Li Ping-bin rigorously employs two camera techniques. Inside dwellings, he allows the camera to pan, tilt, and zoom, but all shots are from a single fixed, and unchanging static location within the dwelling. The camera is in exactly the same position in every scene in Hao-Hao and Vicky’s apartment, Jack’s apartment, and the Shinjuku hotel room. If a character leaves the area within the space visible to the camera, we the viewers cannot follow. Everywhere else, Ping-bin relies on various hand-hand and stedicam techniques including the use of slow motion in scenes depicting movement from one location to another. A final indicator of the dichotomy in camera styles is that the static camera used in dwellings anticipates the characters’ actions, but the hand-held cam merely reacts to the characters’ actions. The static camera has foreknowledge and the hand-held cam does not.

Complementary rules preserving the dichotomy between dwellings and the outside world also apply to the use of music. There is no music within dwellings unless it is provided by a source located within the setting: most often, Hao-hao’s turntable system. Everywhere else, a persistent soundtrack prevails.

The dialogue and acting also compliment the sense of fragmentary memory created by the cinematography and soundtrack by being somewhat unrealistic. For example, the physical actions of Hao-hao are often bigger than life. I doubt that the methodical way he smells Vicky from head to groin when she comes home to determine if she’s been with another man, and, the stage-like quality of his ineffectual shoving matches with Doze are meant to be taken as objective depictions of his behavior but rather as exaggerated memories of our narrator. In contrast to the expansion of certain physical elements to larger than life proportions, the substance of much of the dialogue has been reduced to something less than lifelike. The content of the verbal fights between Hao-hao and Vicky reflected in the voiceover narration and the accusations and responses we see and hear are not fully fleshed out, realistic interactions. They are merely shadows and summarizing clichés punctuated with a few painfully specific statements that have stuck with our narrator even years later. Finally, the only audio element independent of location is Vicky’s voiceover which may bridge scenes regardless of distinctions based on location or time further reinforcing the point that what we are seeing is Vicky’s subjective memories not objective truth.

Few films so masterfully evoke a mood of melancholia through the mechanics of storytelling itself. If you open yourself to it, Millennium Mambo can leave you feeling devastated and raw, and simultaneously stunned that such essential work still is being done in relative obscurity. If this kind of experience sounds appealing to you, then I highly recommend Hou Hsiao-hsien’s Millennium Mambo.