Little Mermaid (For my niece)
The Last Unicorn
Woody Wood Pecker Box Set
Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Box Set
the 36th Chambers Of Shaolin
Weekend At Bernie's 2
Who Am I
Dunston Check In
Haha your niece has better taste than you do .
Old 12-14-07, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
Haha your niece has better taste than you do .
hahaha right...
Old 12-14-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by THFM
Bought Some New Movies:

Meatballs
Ghost Rider Extended Cut
Candyman
Candyman 2
Candyman 3 (Came Free With 1 and 2)
Little Mermaid (For my niece)
The Last Unicorn
Woody Wood Pecker Box Set
Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Box Set
the 36th Chambers Of Shaolin
Weekend At Bernie's 2
Who Am I
Dunston Check In
candyman (1) is good . im pretty sure woodpecker is one word unless you bought the "unrated" version

Last edited by dollfins1; 12-14-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
candyman (1) is good . im pretty sure woodpecker is one word unless you bought the "unrated" version
idk its the cartoons that use to be on tv and its funny for some reason its not rated and not suitable for children but its the cartoon...i dont get it
Old 12-16-07, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I get more pleasure out of selecting a few areas that I really enjoy and exploring them in greater depth, than I do from skimming the surface of a larger pool of material that I find only mildly or inconsistently interesting.
It's a free universe... but just my .02.

If you exclude things before you've experienced them based on a preconceived notion that they are part of a 'larger pool of material' that you will find only 'mildly or inconsistently interesting' then you're just going to miss a lot of incredible experiences in your life.

Not saying you won't have plenty as is. But being dragged into an experience you think you're not going to like, then ending up loving it is one of those things that adds dimension to life experience - as opposed to just getting into a really good film.

Once in a blue moon, throw in a disc you've never seen before and you're sure that you'll hate. Give it 30 minutes. You might be surprised.

I DO understand your point and maybe I'm taking that part of your post too literally, but varied and different experiences in any form (especially art) serve only to shore each other up, strengthening the overall experience of the medium.

To me, the broader and more diverse a collection is, the more 'authentic' it is.

I watched Cobra and Citizen Kane in the same day once.
Another time I watched Eraserhead into Smokey & The Bandit

Speaking of which.. I need to buy Eraserhead!
Old 12-16-07, 05:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 369 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by An4h0ny
To me, the broader and more diverse a collection is, the more 'authentic' it is.
That's my thinking as well.
Old 12-16-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If you exclude things before you've experienced them based on a preconceived notion that they are part of a 'larger pool of material' that you will find only 'mildly or inconsistently interesting' then you're just going to miss a lot of incredible experiences in your life.
I'm open to genuinely new experiences; it's the experiences that are derivative of crap I don't like that I don't have time for. Figuring out which is which does, I'll grant you, take a bit of effort.

If I hate the first episode of Full House I see, I probably don't need to sample episodes from every season to tell it's not for me. On the other hand, just because I don't like Smokey & the Bandit doesn't mean that I should write-off all movies with cars, cops, or mustaches, but maybe after seeing it together with Cannonball Run, I can feel confident enough to be predisposed against movies that feature car races or Burt Reynolds. I should still stay vigilent for movies within those subgenres that may appeal to me (e.g., I'll be checking out Two-Lane Blacktop), but I don't have to give it as much attention as I would genres which I'm not predisposed against. Broaden that out a bit and after seeing a few hundred Hollywood action-adventure films, I can do the same with them, and so on, acknowledging, of course, that the broader I go the greater the chance for error. This doesn't mean I'll never see films from these genres, but it does mean that they'll have to do something special to get my attention. The only way it could be otherwise for me is if I was granted a 100-year reprive on death: life's just too short otherwise.

I don't think I understand how you're using the term 'authentic' here. I'm guessing it's either as (a) not false or imitation : real, actual, or (b) true to one's own personality, spirit, or character, but it's just beyond my grasp how you're applying either meaning. Please explain.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 12-16-07 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-16-07, 10:53 PM
Suspended

I'm open to genuinely new experiences; it's the experiences that are derivative of crap I don't like that I don't have time for. Figuring out which is which does, I'll grant you, take a bit of effort.

If I hate the first episode of Full House I see, I probably don't need to sample episodes from every season to tell it's not for me. On the other hand, just because I don't like Smokey & the Bandit doesn't mean that I should write-off all movies with cars, cops, or mustaches, but maybe after seeing it together with Cannonball Run, I can feel confident enough to be predisposed against movies that feature car races or Burt Reynolds. I should still stay vigilent for movies within those subgenres that may appeal to me (e.g., I'll be checking out Two-Lane Blacktop), but I don't have to give it as much attention as I would genres which I'm not predisposed against. Broaden that out a bit and after seeing a few hundred Hollywood action-adventure films, I can do the same with them, and so on, acknowledging, of course, that the broader I go the greater the chance for error. This doesn't mean I'll never see films from these genres, but it does mean that they'll have to do something special to get my attention. The only way it could be otherwise for me is if I was granted a 100-year reprive on death: life's just too short otherwise.

I don't think I understand how you're using the term 'authentic' here. I'm guessing it's either as (a) not false or imitation : real, actual, or (b) true to one's own personality, spirit, or character, but it's just beyond my grasp how you're applying either meaning. Please explain.
I not only see what you mean, but I agree with you... and the Full House example is a good one. haha.

If you haven't seen Bob Saget do stand-up though, he's pretty funny.

I guess I just meant 'authentic' as 'truly a lover of film no matter the genre or pedigree of the titles collected.' but maybe a better word would have been 'legitimate' or 'sound' - only meaning, to ME as a calling card of what kind of film fan someone is

put it this way.... if I hear someone speaking authoritatively about Orson Welles and Frank Capra and John Ford... and their films, that's cool to me. But if I hear someone discussing Orson Welles, William Castle, Frank Capra, Blake Edwards, John Ford and John Hughes all with the same kind of reverence then I know I'll probably get along with them well.

I also like to divide film fans into people who know what Peter Jackson was up to before LOTR and those who don't. But that's just a personal thing. haha.

Totally respect what you're saying though and I get it. There's plenty I don't waste my time with, unless I'm at a rental store with a girl and she wants whatever has Collin Farrell in it.

/giveandtake

*edit*

and, man I hate Dunston Checks In. monkeys are usually only good for movies, but not in that case

Last edited by An4h0ny; 12-16-07 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-28-07, 10:18 PM

I not only see what you mean, but I agree with you... and the Full House example is a good one. haha.

If you haven't seen Bob Saget do stand-up though, he's pretty funny.

I guess I just meant 'authentic' as 'truly a lover of film no matter the genre or pedigree of the titles collected.' but maybe a better word would have been 'legitimate' or 'sound' - only meaning, to ME as a calling card of what kind of film fan someone is

put it this way.... if I hear someone speaking authoritatively about Orson Welles and Frank Capra and John Ford... and their films, that's cool to me. But if I hear someone discussing Orson Welles, William Castle, Frank Capra, Blake Edwards, John Ford and John Hughes all with the same kind of reverence then I know I'll probably get along with them well.

I also like to divide film fans into people who know what Peter Jackson was up to before LOTR and those who don't. But that's just a personal thing. haha.

Totally respect what you're saying though and I get it. There's plenty I don't waste my time with, unless I'm at a rental store with a girl and she wants whatever has Collin Farrell in it.

/giveandtake

*edit*

and, man I hate Dunston Checks In. monkeys are usually only good for movies, but not in that case
Dunston is a gangsta movie dont' hate on the dunts
Old 12-28-07, 11:39 PM

so what about mine....

a little back ground. My wife's dvd's are listed too, also ones we bought for our now 20 month old daughter.

i'll be updating it tonight sometime.

the "wish list" are just a list of movies i'm planning to get rid of in the near future.....not really a wish list.

Last edited by LeeVing; 12-28-07 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-29-07, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this thread had finally died. Damn this thing will never end
Old 12-29-07, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by THFM
Dunston is a gangsta movie dont' hate on the dunts
perhaps i should give it another chance...

i will double feature that and Pretty Woman

tight
Old 12-29-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LeeVing
so what about mine....

a little back ground. My wife's dvd's are listed too, also ones we bought for our now 20 month old daughter.

i'll be updating it tonight sometime.

the "wish list" are just a list of movies i'm planning to get rid of in the near future.....not really a wish list.
I am not one to bash a collection, you get a thumbs up from me for owning Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman: The Complete First Season. I have been wanting to buy this series.
Old 12-30-07, 03:27 PM

It's hard to judge anothers collection.

All of us have a different set of interests. Even within the same genre.

For example I love Scifi and Horror but not the kinda of crap seen on the SciFi Channel. (Except a few like BG and Doctor Who). I'm sick of all the Giant "Fill in the blank with your favorite critter" gone wild chasing beautiful women that look good even when covered with sweat, blood, gore, and monster saliva.

There are many titles I see being discussed on this board that a large number of people would "die for". I see some of these and think why the heck would anyone watch that garbage.

I'm sure many would puke over the old western and war movies I collect.

"Suum cuique pulchrum est "
Old 12-30-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by spawndude
It's hard to judge anothers collection.
When someone asks you whether a film you've seen is good or bad, do you just throw up your hands and say it's too difficult to judge because everyone has different tastes? Judging a DVD collection is no different from judging a movie. Sure your judgment is purely subjective, but given that it can not be otherwise, so what? You can still make a judgment about whether you think the collection has merit, and the owner of the collection can choose to accept or discount your judgment as they see fit.

As for me, I've given up on responding to most of the new requests for judgment because so many of the requesters are really only looking for validation, not honest replies. I haven't stopped because making a judgment is too difficult, but rather because so many people don't really want what they're asking for.
Old 12-31-07, 03:19 AM

As for me, I've given up on responding to most of the new requests for judgment because so many of the requesters are really only looking for validation, not honest replies. I haven't stopped because making a judgment is too difficult, but rather because so many people don't really want what they're asking for.
i'm not looking for validation, just wanted to see what kind of movie snobs are here. I know I got a lot of movies that are just not good. I think it's a way to see what other peoples tastes in movies are.
Old 12-31-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, you might think you have a lot of movies that just aren't good... but I just looked at your DVD collection list. I have to say, I find it pretty impressive. I think you own a lot of good titles.
Old 12-31-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by LeeVing
I know I got a lot of movies that are just not good.
Not good for what? Not good for entertaining you, or not good as compared to some external measure?
Old 01-01-08, 12:34 AM

Not good for what? Not good for entertaining you, or not good as compared to some external measure?
I know some people here have the "OMG, you own that??" mentality. I was just beating them to the punch.

All my dvd's have been entertaining, even the one's sitting on the shelf unopened.
Old 01-01-08, 12:50 AM

Well, here is my small, very small collection. I dont own a lot of movies but I sure have seen a lot....

http://www.dvdspot.com/list.php?memb...ker&list=owned
Old 01-01-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://tnajason.dvdaf.com/

there is my collection. I used to have 1200 dvds but have since got rid of stinkers,stuff I'd never watch again,and stuff.

The Joker,I would rate your collection a 8/10 only because you are missing alot of classic stuff,and 1 point reduction for having a few stinkers(IMO not yours,and a movie I hate Monty Python and Holy Grail) But other wise a small and very good for whats there collection.

oh and Yakuza I want your opinion I might not like it or whatever but I wouldn't mind seeing peoples opinion and maybe a few pointers of stuff based on what I have that can make it a better collection.

Last edited by TNAJason; 01-01-08 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-01-08, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by TNAJason
http://tnajason.dvdaf.com/

there is my collection. I used to have 1200 dvds but have since got rid of stinkers,stuff I'd never watch again
Overall, I'd say you have a pretty good collection. Perhaps an 8/10 is the same I'd give you - equal to what you gave that other person. There are some titles I would not own (such as You, Me, and Dupree on HD-DVD). Still... lots of good and fun titles.

Any opinions on my collection? You can see the link in my signature.
Old 01-01-08, 07:46 AM

I probably have the smallest 'collection' that's been posted, but I only got into film within the last year or so.

Collection: http://jhg722.dvdaf.com/owned

On the way: City of God, Pursuit of Happyness, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Partial wantlist: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=21961665

Obviously I know it doesnt warrant a good grade/rating, but I think I'm on my way. I'm open to criticism (with reason) and suggestions.

Thanks guys
Old 01-01-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Not a bad collection for someone that just recently started watching film. Out of curiosity, what started your interests?

As for recommendations... I guess I would say I notice a lack of Robert Rodriguez films such as Desperado or Sin City. I'd collect those. You seen to like some decent horror flicks so I'd also suggest Sam Raimi's Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. It's my personal preference to skip the first one but you might want to start at the beginning.

I hope your collection continues to grow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.