DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   I would love to see a 3D HD-DVD of Creature from the Black Lagoon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/517366-i-would-love-see-3d-hd-dvd-creature-black-lagoon.html)

Pizza 11-15-07 06:32 PM

I would love to see a 3D HD-DVD of Creature from the Black Lagoon

The first time I've seen any part of this in 3D was when my cousin bought a super 8mm reel of it. It was glorious. Since then, I've seen this twice at the theater in 3D and for years wished it to be released on DVD. I've heard the excuses but now with HD available, now would be a great time to release this gem on home video. So, how about it Universal?

darkside 11-15-07 06:54 PM

Polarized 3D is not something you can slap on a DVD. I think someone is working on a 3D technology for Blu-ray. Maybe some day this will be possible.

gcbma 11-15-07 07:05 PM

Yea, I saw the classic 3D film festival at Coolidge Corner Theater in Boston a couple of years ago that included the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I've been wishing for someone to adapt a feasible 3D set up for home DVD to enjoy all those films at home. I'd also include Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder," among others, on the wish list.

Cameron 11-15-07 07:39 PM

creature had a widely bootlegged 3-d dvd for use with the shutter glass system. Never viewed it myself, but I see it on ebay from time to time

Peep 11-15-07 08:04 PM

From what I've heard, only Blu-ray will be able to (eventually) support 3D.

ignition 11-15-07 08:42 PM

I'd like it in 4-D so I can smell the creature.

Pizza 11-16-07 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
Polarized 3D is not something you can slap on a DVD. I think someone is working on a 3D technology for Blu-ray. Maybe some day this will be possible.

Originally Posted by Peep

I wonder why that is? Is there something big time different between the two formats or is it just more of a push in the Blu-ray camp? Anyway, I would think the "Creature" would work fine, especially in HD. Everytime I saw it, it used anaglyph color filters (red, blue glasses). "The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl" was reprocessed for home video using those types of glasses and I was surprised at how well the 3D looked on DVD.

gorgo99 11-16-07 06:40 AM

I've got a few VHS movies that use anaglpyh 3-d, and it works fine. I don't know why people say it can't be done. I too have been waiting for the CREATURE. It used to be shown in anaglyph 3-D on tv back in the 80s, and HD formats can certainly do better than broadcast TV.

The movies I have, BTW, are "THE MASK" (not the Jim Carrey movie), "TRINITY AND BEYOND", and "GORILLA AT LARGE".

darkside 11-16-07 07:42 AM

Anaglpyh 3D is awful. If that is the only option for seeing the Creature in 3D they can keep it.

sparks 11-16-07 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peep

Another BD fanboy!

Peep 11-16-07 10:21 AM

I am a fanboy but I have heard the Red camp say that they will never be able to support 3D (done right) and the Blue camp say they will.

Steve Phillips 11-16-07 10:30 AM

Both HD DVD and Blu-ray can easily support field sequential 3-D, just as VHS and DVD do.

The new 120hz HD TV sets make the process work much better though, and a whole line of Samsung DLP sets are 3-D ready now, with more to come along with the necessary set-ups to make use of the system.

I've got tons of 3-D material in field sequential and while it works fine on a TV, with the correct PC set up it's amazing, and it's running off standard DVD.

As for simple anaglyph, it doesn't work all that well for movies, but HD formats will certainly help. There is an HD DVD of BUGS! (IMAX film) available in Germany which includes an HD anaglyph conversion that isn't too bad.

They COULD release some classic 3-D material on HD or Blu-ray in anaglyph, but since the conversions look so inferior to the original clear glasses polarized versions, it's understandable why they don't.

If you've only seen CREATURE in the poor anaglyph re-issue prints, you really haven't seen it in 3-D, trust me. The original dual strip 35mm version was shown in polarized form at the 2003 and 2006 World 3-D Expos in Los Angeles, and it was amazing. The crappy anaglyph can't compare.

With 3-D movies being all the rage in theaters again, within a few years you'll be able to watch plenty of HD 3-D content (and play 3-D games) at home in excellent quality with a fairly simple set up. You'll never want to see an anaglyph again....

Still, a carefully converted anaglyph version of CREATURE done in HD would be miles ahead of that horrible anaglyph version created for VHS in 1980.

SoSpacey 11-16-07 10:41 AM

i clicked on the DVD forum, and ended up in the HD forum. who knew?