DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Criterion's Feburary Titles (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/517365-criterions-feburary-titles.html)

EEz28 11-15-07 06:09 PM

Criterion's Feburary Titles

http://www.criterion.com/content/ima...ox_348x490.jpg
- SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Raoul Coutard
- New video interview with actor Anna Karina
- A "Pierrot" Primer, a new video program with audio commentary by filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin
- Godard, l'amour, la poésie, a fifty-minute French documentary about Godard and his collaborative life and films with Anna Karina
- Archival interview excerpts with director Jean-Luc Godard, actors Jean-Paul Belmondo, and Anna Karina
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Richard Brody, an review by Andrew Sarris, and an interview with Godard

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FOUR-DISC SET FEATURES:
- All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro
- All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer of the extended television version
- Audio commentary by director Bernardo Bertolucci, producer Jeremy Thomas, composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, and screenwriter Mark Peploe
- The Italian Traveler, a documentary by Fernand Mozskowicz, exploring Bertolucci's journey from Parma to China
- The Making of "The Last Emperor," a new documentary featuring Storaro, editor Gabriella Cristiana, costume designer James Acheson, and art director Gianni Silvestre
- Postcards from China, video images taken by Bertolucci while on preproduction
- The Late Show: Face to Face, a 30-minute BBC interview with Bertolucci from 1989
- New video interviews with composers David Byrne and Sakamoto
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by David Thomson and excerpts from script supervisor Fabien Gerard’s journals from the production
- More!

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Alex Cox
- Audio commentary by Cox and screenwriter Rudy Wurlitzer
- Dispatches from Nicaragua, an original documentary about the filming of Walker
- On Moviemaking and the Revolution, an audio reminiscence from actor and writer Linda Sandoval about the shoot
- Rare behind-the-scenes photos
- PLUS: A booklet featuring writings by film critic Graham Fuller, Wurlitzer, and Linda Sandoval

TroyAnderson 11-15-07 06:15 PM

I still can't over the fact that Walker is coming out from Criterion. What a bizarre choice for the Collection.

Sessa17 11-15-07 06:20 PM

:banana: So freakin' psyched over Pierrot Le Fou, my all-time favorite director & Goddard & Anna Karina :drool: is film perfection.

Matthew Ackerly 11-15-07 07:05 PM

Man, I can only imagine how much The Last Emperor set will be....

EEz28 11-15-07 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Man, I can only imagine how much The Last Emperor set will be....

SRP $59.95

zombeaner 11-15-07 08:13 PM

I really want all three of those, I just sold my Pierrot le Fou on eBay in preparation for this...

Sex Fiend 11-15-07 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by EEz28
SRP $59.95

So about the same as The Leopard or Battle of Algiers in actual retail terms, I'm guessing...

NoirFan 11-15-07 08:30 PM

Pierrot le Fou finally! That Last Emperor set looks amazing. Walker should be worth a rental, though the trailer makes it look like a straight to video crapfest.

chase3001 11-15-07 08:41 PM

Probably deserves its own thread, but:

Eclipse Series 8:
Lubitsch Musicals
Ernst Lubitsch

Film Info
Not only the man who refined Hollywood comedy with such masterpieces as Trouble in Paradise, The Shop Around the Corner, and To Be or Not to Be, Ernst Lubitsch also helped invent the modern movie musical. With the advent of sound and audiences clamoring for "talkies," Lubitsch combined his love of European operettas and his mastery of film to create this entirely new genre. These elegant, bawdy films, made before strict enforcement of the Hays morality code, feature some of the greatest stars of early Hollywood (Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald, Claudette Colbert, Miriam Hopkins), as well as that elusive style of comedy that would thereafter be known as "the Lubitsch touch."

4-Disc
Box Set
SRP: $59.95

Box Set Includes:

The Love Parade
Ernst Lubitsch, 1929
Ernst Lubitsch’s first "talking picture" was also Hollywood's first movie musical to integrate songs with narrative. Additionally, The Love Parade made stars out of toast-of-Paris Maurice Chevalier and girl-from-Philly Jeanette MacDonald, cast as a womanizing military attaché and the man-hungry queen of "Sylvania." With its naughty innuendo and satiric romance, The Love Parade opened the door for a decade of witty screen battles of the sexes.

Monte Carlo
Ernst Lubitsch, 1930
Jeanette MacDonald's independent-minded countess leaves her foppish prince fiancé at the altar, and whisks herself away to the Riviera. There, she strikes the fancy of the sly Count Rudolph (Broadway crossover Jack Buchanan), who poses as a hairdresser to get into her boudoir. Lubitsch's follow-up to The Love Parade shows even more musical invention, and presents MacDonald at her sexily haughty best.

One Hour With You
Ernst Lubitsch, 1932
Lubitsch reunites Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald, this time as a seemingly blissful couple whose marriage hits the skids when her flirtatious school chum comes on to her husband a bit too strong. Necking in the park at nighttime, husbands and wives having casual dalliances, and a butler telling his master, "I did so want to see you in tights!": it's one of Lubitsch's sauciest escapades and his final pre-Code musical.

The Smiling Lieutenant
Ernst Lubitsch, 1931
Maurice Chevalier's randy Viennese lieutenant is enamored of Claudette Colbert's freethinking, all-girl-orchestra-leading cutie. Yet complications ensue when the sexually repressed princess of the fictional kingdom of Flausenthurm, played by newcomer Miriam Hopkins, sets her sights on him. The Smiling Lieutenant is a delightful showcase for its rising female stars, who are never more charming than when Colbert tunefully instructs Hopkins, "Jazz Up Your Lingerie."
Film Info
Black and White
1.33:1
Dolby Digital Mono 1.0
Not Anamorphic
English

PopcornTreeCt 11-15-07 08:43 PM

I cannot wait for Pierrot le Fou!! The Last Emperor looks pretty good too and Walker sounds very interesting.

As an HD-DVD/Blu-ray adopter it's hard to swallow seeing that these DVDs are coming from High Definition transfers and aren't being released that way.

g 11-15-07 08:46 PM

The Lubitsch set will be mine. He is a favorite of mine.

Gerry P. 11-15-07 08:48 PM

The Last Emperor
- All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro
So the aspect ratio will be 2:1?

Arpeggi 11-15-07 08:51 PM

Awesome titles.

LorenzoL 11-15-07 08:58 PM

Great titles! Looking forward to them all especially the loaded "Last Emperor" set.

jmj713 11-15-07 08:58 PM

Four discs for Emperor? Extras seem a bit slim for that. Regardless, a must-own.

NoirFan 11-15-07 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Walker sounds very interesting.

Still interested?

NoirFan 11-15-07 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by jmj713
Four discs for Emperor? Extras seem a bit slim for that.

Well the director's cut is 219 minutes, so that's two discs right there. Also, we don't know how long the first two documentaries are. And don't forget there's "-More!"

dman988 11-15-07 09:15 PM

Awesome!

Lubitsch, Bertolucci and Godard will be mine.

canaryfarmer 11-15-07 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan

That looked....not good. The kiss/slap was pretty funny, though.

chris_sc77 11-15-07 09:20 PM

Very exciting titles this time. The Last Emperor will be a blind buy must purchase for me.

Zen Peckinpah 11-15-07 10:06 PM

I've been wanting to see Walker for a while now. I remember reading that Ebert gave it zero stars when it first came out, however I'm madly in love with Alex Cox's other work (if you haven't seen his proto-Tarantino Leone homage Straight to Hell, make it a priority) and have a lot of interest in seeing the politics of it.

Isn't this the movie where they have helicopters and walkie-talkies in the 1890's? I thought I remember hearing that, not entirely sure though.

EDIT: I just read the writer of this also penned Two-Lane Blacktop and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, two great 70's gems (the former of which is coming from Criterion), so now I'm officially adding this to Netflix.

tonyjg 11-15-07 10:12 PM

Are there are details with regards to the 'specs' for THE LAST EMPEROR ?

What are the sound formats ? ratio ??

a couple of the extra look like they've been 'recycled' from other releases ...

from DVDCOMPARE.NET

R2 United Kingdom - (Optimum Home Entertainment) Extras: DISC ONE
Original theatrical cut version of the film (156:10)
Audio commentary by director Bernardo Bertolucci, producer Jeremy Thomas, and co-composer Ryuichi Sakamoto
"The South Bank Show: Bernardo Bertolucci" (1987) (62:58)
"Videocartolina dalla Cina di Bernardo Bertolucci (Postcard from China)" (1987) with optional Bernardo Bertolucci commentary (7:40)
Theatrical trailer
No subtitles
2.35:1 Anamorphic PAL
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

DISC TWO
The director's cut version of the film (209:38)
Subtitles:None
Aspect Ratio:2.35:1
Picture Format:Anamorphic
TV System:PAL
Soundtrack(s):English Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Case type:2-Disc Amaray (Keep) Case
Notes:In cardboard slipcase.
The transfer for the director's cut is slightly darker than the theatrical cut
and from the French DVD

Bernardo Bertolucci: Le Voyageur Italian" Documentary (French, no subtitles)
I wonder if this is the same as this The Italian Traveler, a documentary by Fernand Mozskowicz, exploring Bertolucci's journey from Parma to China - with English subtitles ??

Sparrow 11-15-07 10:31 PM

I'm looking forward to owning Pierrot le Fou, The Last Emperor and the Lubitsch set.

I haven't seen The Last Emperor in years, so I'm especially looking forward to revisiting it.

ResIpsa 11-15-07 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
That looked....not good. The kiss/slap was pretty funny, though.

I got a chuckle out of the laughably incongruous "Walker With Seat Sale" ad that scrolls along the bottom. Ed Harris' PC pronunciation of NicaraYOUah at the end is funny in a nostalgic way - took me straight back to college during the Reagan years.

Thank goodness for titles like Walker, though, since otherwise I might be tempted to be a spine completist...

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
I've been wanting to see Walker for a while now. I remember reading that Ebert gave it zero stars when it first came out, however I'm madly in love with Alex Cox's other work (if you haven't seen his proto-Tarantino Leone homage Straight to Hell, make it a priority) and have a lot of interest in seeing the politics of it.

Isn't this the movie where they have helicopters and walkie-talkies in the 1890's? I thought I remember hearing that, not entirely sure though.

Yes, and Casio watches, Newsweek magazine, automobiles etc. It's apparently a satire about US interventionism in Latin America in the 1980s. Watching the trailer, it looks A LOT like "The Wild Bunch" with all the tan-uniformed soldiers being blown about in slow motion.

MisterHowie 11-15-07 11:02 PM

Finally, The Last Emperor! I've been contemplating pulling the trigger on one of the Asian editions that is Region free and anamorphic but now I can hold out for this one, which seems like it will be the definitive release on Standard DVD.