Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Exclusive content on Weinstein Co. releases at Blockbuster - Where is the outrage?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Exclusive content on Weinstein Co. releases at Blockbuster - Where is the outrage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised that nobody is making a bigger deal of the fact that some of the high-profile Weinstein Co. releases (like the Grindhouse films) that are renting exclusively at Blockbuster have bonus content exclusive to those discs. Sadly, however, if you were to buy used copies of those discs, you'd get single-disc version of any two-disc sets and crappy "Blockbuster"-branded covers and discs.

Still, it sucks that some of these releases have content not readily available elsewhere.
Old 11-12-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They aren't fully exclusive. They order from the studio but any rental store can purchase copies and rent them as they see fit.
Old 11-12-07, 09:29 PM
kpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
it sucks that some of these releases have content not readily available elsewhere.
I know of the short documentary added to 'Bobby'. What are some of the others?
Old 11-12-07, 09:31 PM

Nobody is making a big deal about it because nobody rents from Blockbuster anymore, so nobody knows.
Old 11-12-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chucky
Nobody is making a big deal about it because nobody rents from Blockbuster anymore, so nobody knows.

It's funny because it's true.
Old 11-12-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*shrug*

Blockbuster Online > Netflix, for me.

It's a much better deal when you live/work near a Blockbuster.
Old 11-12-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
@ the Blockbuster fact/joke. I'd say something as a follow-up, but I'd just get some people irritated.
Old 11-12-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chucky
Hell, I do rent from Blockbuster and I didn't even know!
Old 11-12-07, 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kpa
I know of the short documentary added to 'Bobby'. What are some of the others?
WWE DVDs are another example. They are part of the Weinstein's deal and the DVDs Blockbuster carry for rent have exclusive extras and additional disc not available anywhere else. The sad thing is that they don't have extra copies for sale to collectors like the ones in these forum.
Old 11-12-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
WWE DVDs are another example. They are part of the Weinstein's deal and the DVDs Blockbuster carry for rent have exclusive extras and additional disc not available anywhere else. The sad thing is that they don't have extra copies for sale to collectors like the ones in these forum.
I thought they'd sell you any rentable DVD they carry. Just pick it up on release day before anybody else has rented it.
Old 11-12-07, 10:54 PM

I'm surprised that nobody is making a bigger deal of the fact that some of the high-profile Weinstein Co. releases (like the Grindhouse films) that are renting exclusively at Blockbuster have bonus content exclusive to those discs. Sadly, however, if you were to buy used copies of those discs, you'd get single-disc version of any two-disc sets and crappy "Blockbuster"-branded covers and discs.

Still, it sucks that some of these releases have content not readily available elsewhere.
What is the bonus content? Is it really that important?
Old 11-12-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought they'd sell you any rentable DVD they carry. Just pick it up on release day before anybody else has rented it.
For some reason not sealed copies. Sure you can rent and choose to keep the dvd, since they convert your rental into a sale after 7days.
Old 11-12-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
my blockbuster does carry the wwe dvds with the extra disc brand new for sale
Old 11-13-07, 02:17 AM
Cool New Member

The last time I rented a DVD on the release date from Blockbuster it still looked like someone had tried to polish the back of it with a brillo pad or something.
Old 11-13-07, 03:12 AM

I think there's not really any outrage because the bonus content tends to suck, for the most part. I haven't really rented too many of the exclusives from them. Only Death Proof and Planet Terror, but the two featurettes on each of those DVDs was kinda boring.

I would say that it does suck more if you're buying those films pre-viewed because the disc artwork is horrible. Plus, I don't think people take care of their discs all that much when they rent from Blockbuster. Some of the rentals I've had have been horribly scratched. A question to those who either work at or buy from Blockbuster: do they actually go through and select the best condition DVDs to sell pre-viewed? Or do they just count off a certain number, sell those and just destroy the rest like they unfortunately do.
Old 11-13-07, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't really felt I was missing anything. Not sure what they think the big draw of these exclusives are. I bought a used copy of The Protector (a Dragon Dynasty release and BB exclusive) as a blind buy. The discs have no decent artwork (blue with BB logos) and the cover is ruined by the blue BB border. Kinda regretted the purchase because I thought the movie was pretty cool and didn't like the crappy cover. I got it cheap though. I could always print a cover. I don't think I'll be interested in buying anymore of their used exclusives though.
Old 11-14-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I rent at Blockbuster at least 3 times a week. With Total Access and my store being within walking distance it is just so convenient. That and most surprisingly our store has an excellent selection of titles.

And I do buy a lot of imports!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-14-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I know 1408 had an additional 2 alternate endings (for a total of 4 for the DVD)... Someone over at IMDb described them.
Old 11-14-07, 02:03 AM

Oh, I've been incredibly pissed for a while now. I'm going to have to buy their versions of 1408, Planet Terror, and Death Proof just to get their features. Along with having to get Hannibal Rising there. I hate it all the more because I can't stand their "Blockbuster Exclusive" heading they have covering the front of the dvd. It's one of the ugliest things I've seen for a cover.
Old 11-14-07, 06:20 AM
Banned

How about a definitive list with detailed descriptions of the exclusive material? Anyone?
Old 11-14-07, 08:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
How about a definitive list with detailed descriptions of the exclusive material? Anyone?
You would think I would have one, but I just found out about this crap a couple months ago and am still working on figuring it all out.

Planet Terror and Death Proof were news to me. Darn it, two more to buy.

One good thing, I've noticed that the Blockbuster Exclusives tend to go on sale real cheap. So far, I've been able to pick up a few of them for $3.99, and they have been marked as such as both BBVs I've randomly checked over the last couple months.
Old 11-14-07, 08:38 AM

Only the single-disc exclusive-rental versions at Blockbuster carry the bonus features on DEATH PROOF and PLANET TERROR. They do sell the general release 2-disc sets that everyone else sells, but the 2-disc set doesn't have the bonus features that are on the Blockbuster rental versions.

The Blockbuster DEATH PROOF has a featurette called "Hot Rods of Death Proof" which I think runs about 11 minutes. That's covered briefly on the regular 2-disc set in some other featurette, but the Blockbuster featurette is a lot longer.

PLANET TERROR has a much better exclusive - a panel discussion from Comic-Con 2006 where Tarantino and Rodriguez talk to an audience. McGowan, Shelton, Dawson, Poitier, Winstead, and Zoe Bell also participate. It's pretty entertaining and lasts about 24-minutes.
Old 11-14-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
What dx23 meant was the last three WWE DVD releases that Blockbuster has (exclusives) were "For Rent" now than the original marketing of "For Sale- Brand New Sealed". And the only way for WWE collectors to obtain in (as in own it) is to pay $25 (rental cost + penalty cost for not returning it)

more details of the WWE/Weinstein deal here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=91
Old 11-14-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i's sure the grindhouse stuff will end up on the double dip later down the road
Old 11-14-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats the reason I doubt many are outraged, double dips are likely to happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.