DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Favorite special features that don't seem to make it on DVDs anymore (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/516916-favorite-special-features-dont-seem-make-dvds-anymore.html)

calhoun07 11-11-07 01:41 AM

Favorite special features that don't seem to make it on DVDs anymore

I the thread about single DVDs that are full of special features, it got me to thinking about some older DVDs I own that would have great special features, and some of them really don't seem to make it on DVD anymore.

1941, for example, had the full soundtrack on the disc. And I think Apollo 13 does too. I know there were other early DVDs that also had soundtracks on them. But that seems like something that never really took off, and I can't think of many recent DVD releases that have the soundtracks included on the DVD (not as a separate disc in the set.)

And trailers, especially for older movies. Sometimes you get them now, but early in DVD you seemed to get them all the time.

PopcornTreeCt 11-11-07 01:44 AM

Filmographies

DouglasRobert 11-11-07 02:15 AM

Production Notes/ Bios, Multi-Angle, trailers for the film itself not just trailers for other films.

The Monkees 11-11-07 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Filmographies

True, but it's much easier to look that stuff up online now. And more fun IMO

Mondo Kane 11-11-07 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
trailers for the film itself not just trailers for other films.

Big Time.

UAIOE 11-11-07 03:34 AM

"interactive menus" listed as a special feature.

jmanin2 11-11-07 04:13 AM

color bars

DarthVong 11-11-07 08:51 AM

Trailers and TV Spots for the actual film are the ones I miss.

calhoun07 11-11-07 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
True, but it's much easier to look that stuff up online now. And more fun IMO

IMDB is always more extensive and up to date than the filmographies, but I still miss those too. It was easier to just look on the DVD instead of having to go to the computer to look it up!

NoirFan 11-11-07 10:23 AM

I miss Web Links.

Al_Tahoe 11-11-07 10:33 AM

The Theatrical Trailer! :grumble:

PatrickMcCart 11-11-07 10:59 AM

Music-only or music/effects tracks.

Cameron 11-11-07 12:46 PM

text commentary, text trivia, etc.

Trevor 11-11-07 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
text commentary, text trivia, etc.

I think I agree with you. I really liked them when I first discovered them, but I think I prefer audio commentaries now, as you can multitask better with those.

jjcool 11-11-07 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I
1941, for example, had the full soundtrack on the disc. And I think Apollo 13 does too.

Isn't Apollo 13 the one where it will play the entire soundtrack if you let it sit on the menu for long enough?

jjcool 11-11-07 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
"interactive menus" listed as a special feature.

or chapter selection.

Cameron 11-11-07 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think I agree with you. I really liked them when I first discovered them, but I think I prefer audio commentaries now, as you can multitask better with those.

better yet, just run them both at once...

Trevor 11-11-07 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
better yet, just run them both at once...

Yep, but if the movie only has one or the other, I prefer audio, because then I can do other things and not have to have my eyes glued to screen.

But when done right, these "pop-up video" type special features are a lot of fun. I wish there were more of them. I think someone here once had a thread devoted to listing them all.

Bluelitespecial 11-11-07 02:14 PM

Universal makes great Trailers, but somehow thinks they shouldn't be on dvds anymore.

tylergfoster 11-11-07 08:47 PM

The best part about DVD filmographies was that often someone would get so confident that a project was happening they'd jump the gun. See "Ghostbusters III (1998)" on several of Dan Aykroyd's filmographies on Universal DVDs, or Die Hard 4 on Reginald VelJohnson (and I think Bonnie Bedelia)'s page on the original Die Hard releases.

Just Lurking 11-11-07 10:48 PM

At least Disney no longer considers disc cover art a special feature.

I miss theatrical trailer on DVD too :(

Simpson Purist 11-11-07 11:30 PM

Those comprehensive making-of featurettes and commentaries on recent Disney/Pixar DVDs (especially Ratatoullie).

And yes, having no trailers on newer DVDs really suck now.

Alan Smithee 11-11-07 11:42 PM

The filmographies also listed some 'future' movies under one title, when they ended up being changed to something else on release. That stuff gets outdated pretty quickly so I can see why they don't do those much anymore, but it's always good to at least have general info about the main actors and the director if nothing else, provided they don't later die in a bizarre manner or get a sex change or something.

The Monkees 11-12-07 12:49 AM

Yeah, I agree with the trailers and TV spots.

matome 11-12-07 08:58 AM

Pretty much the only extra I care about: trailers. And not the ones for "upcoming" titles.