Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2008 "October Horror Movie Challenge"...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2008 "October Horror Movie Challenge"...

Old 11-13-07, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers

I'd be happy if everything stayed the same but we stopped counting documentaries and "making of ..." stuff
I agree even though I watched some made for TV doc's I still listed them but I didn't count them officially.
Old 11-13-07, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds good to me, so drop documentaries/featurettes regardless of length, but keep three wild cards. I'll be lucky to break 300 next year, I am addicted to Travel Channel Halloween specials, so the few days before the 31st, I might vanish off the radar at times.
Old 11-13-07, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by FusionX
That sounds good to me, so drop documentaries/featurettes regardless of length, but keep three wild cards. I'll be lucky to break 300 next year, I am addicted to Travel Channel Halloween specials, so the few days before the 31st, I might vanish off the radar at times.
TC's 'Mysterious Journey's' series has been great - trying to pencil in a watching of the 'Ghosts of Scotland' episode for sometime this week.
Old 11-13-07, 03:41 PM
Banned

I ended up going to the Prison of Hell, based on the TC special, only to be pretty disappointed. I don't hold it against the kind folks at Travel Channel though.
Old 11-13-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only documentary I watched was The Omen Legacy. I have no idea whether that one counts or not, but I figured it should, so I did. I didn't use any wild cards though, so that could still be considered one, I guess.

Rob
Old 11-13-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was good again this year other then the arguing.

The only things I think we should next year are:
1. Urge people to give reviews with their list. Don't dictate a word count or anything, but I enjoy this for reading other people's take on the movies they watch. Heck it can be as "This movie is Scary as hell" or something. I personally try to write a few sentences and appreciate others that do, since I like to compare my thoughts on these movies. Not that it's needed but I don't get much value out of just a list of movies, plus it also adds a little credibility to people's list. I mean nothing keeps you from making up something but why bother since it's for fun.
2. If prizes are donated just randomly hand them out. The overall winner simply gets a different DVD talk title or something. That's it. I think the real problem was having a defined prize only to the watcher of the most movies. If people give movies or giftcards let them be given to people who had a nice list with reviews etc.

Otherwise I say we keep it the same and we have fun.
Old 11-13-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Masters of Horror are movies, not good movies but movies just the same.
It's a TV SERIES. It aired on TV. I don't give a damn what it was "intended" to be, in the end it was a series that had first airings on television and was collected and released as a season set.

The closest argument that could be made is that each episode is independent from the others... but that argument allows for episodes of The Twilight Zone and many other TV series to be counted as well.
Old 11-13-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
It's a TV SERIES. It aired on TV. I don't give a damn what it was "intended" to be, in the end it was a series that had first airings on television and was collected and released as a season set.

The closest argument that could be made is that each episode is independent from the others... but that argument allows for episodes of The Twilight Zone and many other TV series to be counted as well.
I totally agree. These were specifically made as a horror anthology television series. I wouldn't consider them any different than TZ or "Tales From The Crypt".

I also think that a 57 minute limit is pretty arbitrary. I say make it 80 minute unless it had a theatrical release. Anybody who made a shorter movie (in the DTV age) wasn't really trying to get it released theatrically.

And lose the wildcards. If you're 4-5 hours short of 100 movies, then man up next time.

That being said, why not have a parallel challenge next year that tracks, based on run-time, anything halloween related. Have a 200 hour challenge that includes docs, TV shows, trailer reels, whatever. Let the people who want to run wild have a chance for some alternate bragging rights.
Old 11-13-07, 09:49 PM
Banned

I think 80 is too high, just looking through the stack of recent horror releases in my "to watch" pile, I found over half a dozen from the past couple weeks of street dates that clock in under 80. I'd also prefer a flat time limit, regardless of theatrical screening. I don't think anyone wants to waste time at Blockbuster or Best Buy or on-line, trying to find out if a 75 minute horror movie ever played at some podunk film festival. If we have a flat 57 (or even 60, which I prefer) minute rule, that should encompass all horror movies (or close enough) and since we've eliminated television shows, documentaries & featurettes, there should be no abuse of timeframe concerns.
Old 11-13-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. There's actually been an influx of foreign Horror that clocks in at barely over 70 minutes. "Them" (AKA Ils), for example. A 55-60 minute cutoff eliminates questionable material without having to make a bunch of rules and exceptions. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

I know we really shouldn't care what's on people's lists. It shouldn't enter into the picture at all. It's a fun challenge, but it takes real work and dedication and we all put in a tremendous effort. There are only so many hours in a day and between work, family and sleep it's a bit of a sacrifice we are making in order to share an experience with our fellow DVDTalkers besides opinions on whether or not we like inserts or slipcovers. It's in threads like these we build community. How many people posted in the thread that don't usually post? I don't think we really want to regiment this whole thing. I think we just need to make it simpler so that we can avoid future heated exchanges.

I propose we make it simply about the movies. You can watch any Horror feature film you want, as long as it is at least 55 minutes.

We drop documentaries entirely. We keep the wild cards so that if someone did want to watch a documentary they still can. The wild cards aren't about reaching a number. The wild cards are about adding variety and making it more fun.

We allow commentaries (and MST3K), but as an either/or. You can watch a movie as many times as you want, but it can only be counted once. (no change)

There will be no criticism of anyone's list, either directly or indirectly.

You don't need to log running times and you can update at your leisure. 300 movies in 31 days averages out to almost 10 movies a day. If your list has 18-20 a day and it's for extended periods, anticipate there will be some questions about it and make an effort to explain how you defied Einstein and Hawking and stopped time.

I'm sure we can keep this fun and civil without a whole bunch of rules and regulations.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 11-14-07 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-15-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
How about regardless of run times. Movies and thats it. No docs, no tv shows, no movies made as Tv shows. Either theatrical, DTV or full length movies. If an old school film runs in at 55 minutes so be it. A slong as its a movie. No MOH, NO tv shows at all. Keep the three wild cards and apply them as so. But otherwise only films with a narative, and considred a MOVIE
Old 11-15-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darkgod
But otherwise only films with a narative
No silent films
Old 11-17-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is my views on why I'd like to include Halloween TV Specials and Halloween TV Episodes... We can watch horror movies any time of the year. The only time a TV Halloween Special feels special is at Halloween. And true, I can list it and not number it, but then I feel that I didn't really watch a whole lot because my total is only 28 when in reality, I watched over double that number of Halloween programming.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe somebody else feels the same way... maybe not.

Did I mention that regardless of what my opinion is, I will go with whatever the majority decides?
Old 11-17-07, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Here is my views on why I'd like to include Halloween TV Specials and Halloween TV Episodes... We can watch horror movies any time of the year. The only time a TV Halloween Special feels special is at Halloween.
And hence the wildcard rule. True, it's only three, but at least some of them get to count. I'll always watch The Great Pumpkin, whether it counts or not, so it will be my wildcard as long as we have them.

Or, as I've said before, there could be a second Halloween Special Challenge. I think some of the people here are energetic/competitive enough to do both.

Did I mention that regardless of what my opinion is, I will go with whatever the majority decides?
Me too!
Old 08-10-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts
Time flies!

I thought now would be an appropriate time to resurrect this since last year's feedback thread was bumped around this time as well as to answer a couple of PMs recently received...

Basically just wanted to say that I'm diligently working on the new thread and will have it up around September 1st in the usual fashion. Yes, I'll probably go overboard. The lists thread will once again be posted just prior to October 1st (possible a little earlier than usual this year) to keep the clutter down.

No polls. They tend to limit discussion.

Again, I'm trying to make this a group effort as much as possible and have majority rule so keep the feedback coming! Just keep in mind that it's damn near impossible to satisfy everyone, so please don't take it personally if your idea(s) aren't included.

Oh, BTW, did everyone notice how the Sci-fi challenge went off without a hitch? There were absolutely no arguments or fighting of any kind and prizes were involved! Proof positive it can be done.
Old 08-10-08, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
Oh, BTW, did everyone notice how the Sci-fi challenge went off without a hitch? There were absolutely no arguments or fighting of any kind and prizes were involved! Proof positive it can be done.
Perhaps Sci-fi fans are just more civil than horror fans...

Thanks for taking this on again, Chad!

I may have said this before, but I'd support prizes, if drawn randomly from everyone who reached 100. If the point of the challenge is to watch 100 movies during the month, everyone who does so should be eligible for a prize, but the drawing would put a little chance into it and perhaps keep bickering down among those who watch the most.
Old 08-10-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shack
I may have said this before, but I'd support prizes, if drawn randomly from everyone who reached 100. If the point of the challenge is to watch 100 movies during the month, everyone who does so should be eligible for a prize, but the drawing would put a little chance into it and perhaps keep bickering down among those who watch the most.
That's an excellent idea.
Old 08-10-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
^ And I'll second it!
Old 08-10-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i failed miserably at the holiday challenge
gave a good attempt at thesci fi challenge even tho i never had time to update my list

but been waiting for this again since this is more up my alley. i have prolly damn near 100 dvds i picked up when i found em for cheap throughout the year *thnx to hollywood video closings*to try and keep the majority of movies seen new.
Old 08-11-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've never participated in the horror movie challenge before but I am looking forward to playing along this year.

As far as prizes go:

I think they should only be included if the rules limit movies to about 80 or so mins. And no documentaries. Only movies.

If there are no prizes then I think it should be cool to include movies in the 40 minute range.

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I think I offered at one point that a secondary goal would be to watch more movies as a group , both total number of movies and/or average number of movies per participant. That way the focus remains on encouraging each other along the way.
I really, really like this idea. I think it would be cool to have everyone enter and then their names be divided into equal groups. Maybe teams could be divided up by the member's status is on the site (Cool new member, senior member...etc.).

I think it would encourage people to participate and make them feel like they are part of a team.

What do you guys think about the team/group idea?
Old 08-11-08, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
As far as prizes go:

I think they should only be included if the rules limit movies to about 80 or so mins. And no documentaries. Only movies.
I'll be counting all the movies I watch, even those under 80 minutes, like I did last year. A lot of the horror films I own are from the Universal Legacy Collection sets, several of which are barely an hour long. There's no reason why they shouldn't count. If necessary, I'll take myself out of the running for any prizes; I participate in this for the fun of it, not to win anything.

I'm not really interested in the whole team/group idea either, sorry.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 08-11-08 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's my suggestions. We should bring the challenge back to basics. 100 Horror Movies in 31 days. No TV shows(except made for TV features), no Documentaries, no Fluff.

I think we were pretty close to adopting the 60 minute rule. 40 minutes is an arbitrary rule based upon an obscure rule that has nothing to do with anything. There's too much legitimate Horror that is barely over 60 minutes (Universal Horror, for example), but there is almost none under. Have a movie under 60 minutes? Count it toward your wild cards. The only reason anyone ever justified the 40 minute rule was to allow in Masters of Horror. If you want to watch MOH, then watch it for the joy of Horror, but unless it's 60 minutes this year they don't count.

No documentaries. Last year, we were hoping people would watch real feature docs on Horror subjects, but people used DVD featurettes and A&E biographies to pad out their lists. If it's not a narrative, then it doesn't count.

No repeated films. You can watch a film as many times as you want, but you only get to count it once. This includes extended/director's cuts. Adding 10 minutes to a movie or putting scenes in different order doesn't make it a different movie. There's 4 or 5 versions of Dawn of the Dead (1978)? Pick ONE.

Commentaries. I know people love them, but they are DVD fluff and not the same as watching a movie. This challenge is a celebration of Horror Movies, not the DVD medium. Show the films some respect and watch them as intended. We watched movies for 100 years before commentaries were common, so they aren't intrinsic to the experience. If there is some commentary you just need to watch, then count it toward your wild card.

In place of Docs and TV, the definition of Horror should be a bit looser this year. Thrillers with a horror element should count. Fatal Attraction, Rollercoaster, etc. should count while James Bond/Bourne Identity thrillers should not. There's no hard definition, but there has to be some effort to frighten the viewer, not just thrill him. Unless something outright does not count (like the E.T. debacle), then if the viewer believes it should count, then it will count. IMDB is a good reference site, but it's not definitive, nor is anything else. Outside of the requirement that it be a feature, it's your choice what you watch.

I love the idea of random drawings for those who reach 100. It gives a genuine incentive to more participants in the challenge rather than just giving prizes to the 300+ crowd.

We want it to be fun, but this is no fluffy Holiday challenge. Horror is serious business.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 08-11-08 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i can't wait.
Old 08-11-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm definitely in this year. Last year I got through about 25-30 flicks, I think. Hoping to best that this time. I really couldn't care less if there are prizes or not. I do this purely for my intense love of horror, so anything else is icing.
Old 08-11-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
In place of Docs and TV, the definition of Horror should be a bit looser this year. Thrillers with a horror element should count. Fatal Attraction, Rollercoaster, etc. should count while James Bond/Bourne Identity thrillers should not. There's no hard definition, but there has to be some effort to frighten the viewer, not just thrill him. Unless something outright does not count (like the E.T. debacle), then if the viewer believes it should count, then it will count. IMDB is a good reference site, but it's not definitive, nor is anything else. Outside of the requirement that it be a feature, it's your choice what you watch.
I agree with relegating TV shows, documentaries, and commentary tracks to wild cards, but I definitely don't think thriller films should be included - they're not true horror films, and will only add to the endless debating and arguing that seems to accompany the Horror Challenge.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.