Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2008 "October Horror Movie Challenge"...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2008 "October Horror Movie Challenge"...

Old 08-26-08, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Never heard of it, will add to my queue. Doesn't sound family friendly though...
No...there's lots of nudity and some pretty gruesome murders. Definitely not family-friendly.
Old 08-26-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to derail the topic at hand, but "Mr. Sandman" is playing on the XM station here at work right now (Tuesday is "Moldy Oldies" day).

Between that and the slightly cool evening weather we had yesterday evening, I'm starting to get excited about Halloween again!
Old 08-26-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've actually been away from DVDTalk, until recently, so I haven't really heard about these challenges. It sounds like a blast, so I'm in, this year. However, I don't think (with four kids and a wife), there's a chance in HELL I'll see 100 horror movies in October, so I think my personal challenge will be to see as many as I can, but I'm going to try to see 31 that are recommended in the thread that I've never heard of or haven't seen before, plus whatever else I can fit in. I'll be surprised if I make it to 50, considering my wife and three daughters don't do horror.
Old 08-26-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by modfather View Post
I've actually been away from DVDTalk, until recently, so I haven't really heard about these challenges. It sounds like a blast, so I'm in, this year. However, I don't think (with four kids and a wife), there's a chance in HELL I'll see 100 horror movies in October, so I think my personal challenge will be to see as many as I can, but I'm going to try to see 31 that are recommended in the thread that I've never heard of or haven't seen before, plus whatever else I can fit in. I'll be surprised if I make it to 50, considering my wife and three daughters don't do horror.
sweet i recruited someone!
Old 08-26-08, 02:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 140 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
sweet i recruited someone!
You get a bonus point! Only 99 more and you can finish the Challenge before October.

Edit to add:
Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
does that mean we can start the challenge early?
I wish! All this talk has me ready to go big time.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-26-08 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-26-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You get a bonus point! Only 99 more and you can finish the Challenge before October.
Old 08-26-08, 04:02 PM

I'm getting psyched about the challenge this year. I had a lot of fun watching movies last year. I work third shift and get more hours so I won't be able to rack up as many titles as I did last year, but I'm going to have at it anyway.
Old 08-26-08, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Can't please everyone. That's one of the problems when trying to spread the love for one of those "hidden gem" type movies.

When picking my movie I didn't want to go with that same things that'll get put on the list year after year, like Halloween or one of the other popular slasher films.

This was one of the 300 or so titles I watched this during the last horror challenge. When someone watches that many new things, the standard fare all becomes a blur, the horrible ones make the time seem like forever, and the fun ones reawaken you in the middle of a string of movies and you start to remember why one does this in the first place.

This is one of those movies and if I can get at least a couple people to watch this and experience something that they may not come across often, I've done my job and I'm happy.

At least that's they way I look at it. If I was going to pick something much more easily available, I would've gone with Ghoulies but I've seen that enough times that I wouldn't even watch it on that day. The Claw of Terror will be one of the few movies I've already seen that I'll pull out again to watch.

In the end though, I felt it was cheap and accessible enough to be a good pick.

Not trying to argue, just stating how I picked it.
I actually agree with this. I ended up watching a lot of shit last year, but I also found some gems like "Hard" (my pick for this year) "Eyes of a Stranger" and "Kidnapped (Rabid Dogs)" that made my demented heart very happy and reminded me why I wanted to do the movie challenge in the first place.
Old 08-26-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've actually got most of my film choices lined up, it's just a question of drafting a list.
Old 08-26-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I've actually got most of my film choices lined up, it's just a question of drafting a list.
I had a list of "must watch" movies last and barely stuck to it.

However, part of the fun of making a list was thinking of all the movies that I wanted to watch. So, I'll probably make a list this year... and again, not stick to it.
Old 08-26-08, 05:41 PM

Okay I trudged through this entire thread and decided I might as well put in my non-cents.

Make the prize a random drawing, maybe make a minimum requirement of ten movies to qualify(that way a faker has to at least think of ten movies).

As beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder so does the genrefication of movies, leave it up to the individual as to whether it's horror or not. If you depend on imdb as a bible then start adding the horror category to movies you want to have that tag, you have over a month to make sure a movie with no horror elements gets the tag.

Once the challenge begins no rule changes, wait till next year.

I no longer have to worry about what my children see but I know a lot of members do have that concern, so remove the movie only stipulation. It ends up being good for us all in the end.

Encourage the watching of the more obscure horror flicks in the beginning of the challenge. This will allow others to obtain some not so mainstream dvds before the challenge ends.

My final suggestion is to make a comment (at least one word) mandatory for anything watched. The discovery of unseen or forgotten movies is the best part of the challenge. We all know that horror blind buys are a very risky adventure.

'nuff said.
Old 08-26-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
  1. Nosferatu
  2. Psycho
  3. Dracula
  4. Nightmare on Elm Street
  5. Night of the Living Dead
  6. The Shining
  7. Re-Animator
  8. (to be chosen by last year's winner ViewAskewbian)
  9. (to be chosen by FusionX)
  10. Rosemary's Baby
  11. The Exorcist
  12. Freaks
  13. Friday the 13th
  14. The Wolf Man (this is October's Full Moon)
  15. Claw of Terror (chosen by Mister Peepers)
  16. Manos: The Hands of Fate (chosen by steelpotato)
  17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  18. The Invisible Man
  19. Hard (chosen by edwardnortonfan)
  20. (to be chosen by wlverinefactor)
  21. The Thing
  22. Evil Dead
  23. Shadow of the Vampire
  24. The Mummy
  25. Suspiria
  26. (to be chosen by Crazee4DVDs)
  27. (to be chosen by EdTheRipper/Giles)
  28. (to be chosen by Dimension X)
  29. (to be chosen by Chad)
  30. Frankenstein
  31. Halloween
I haven't chosen my movie yet, but I'm planning on picking a Vincent Price flick. The 25th of October is the 15th anniversary of Vincent Price's death, so I'd like my day to be moved to the 25th (and move Suspiria to the 28th) if that's okay with everyone.

As for my choice, I'll probably watch several Price movies that day so the choice for the list isn't all that important to me. I've narrowed my choice down to these five. So you guys tell me which you most want to watch that day, and Friday I'll "officially" choose the top vote getter as my film.

House on Haunted Hill (has the advantage of being easy to acquire)
The Tingler
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Pit and the Pendulum
Witchfinder General
Old 08-26-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I'm a fan of The Tingler
Old 08-26-08, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
I haven't chosen my movie yet, but I'm planning on picking a Vincent Price flick. The 25th of October is the 15th anniversary of Vincent Price's death, so I'd like my day to be moved to the 25th (and move Suspiria to the 28th) if that's okay with everyone.

The Tingler
The Pit and the Pendulum
Witchfinder General
Great call on the move, we must honor Vincent.

I'd vote for either of these:
The Pit and the Pendulum - 1st choice
Old 08-26-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

House on Haunted Hill
Here's my vote (because I've been trying to watch this for the past 3 years and getting sidetracked). But I'm open to viewing the other ones too since I've never seen them.
Old 08-26-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
^ I'll watch anything with Vincent Price!

If everyone posted a weekly list instead of just one long list, there would be more updates to that thread, and more chance of people seeing everyone's comments. People have complained about reading long lists. Wouldn't it be easier to read four or so shorts lists than one huge list? And the shorter lists would be constantly coming as as new email notifications and bumps to the thread, rather than expecting everyone to constantly go thru the entire thread looking at lists trying to figure out what it new and what they have already read multiple times.
I have since day one. And I've always stated in the rules that I'm perfectly fine with it as long as they're numbered.

Check out my first list from last year:

Originally Posted by Chad
WEEK #1

Mini-reviews in progress!

Monday, October 1st
1. Night of the Comet (1984) - Originally caught this a few years back on "MonsterVision". Good '80s cheese, but could've used more zombies.
2. The Host (2006) - Excellent special effects. And the ending was a refreshing change from the usual mainstream.
3. The Devil Commands (1941)
4. The Witchfinder General (1968)
5. The Equinox... A Journey Into the Supernatural (1967) - And here I thought "The Evil Dead" was original!
6. The Cat o' Nine Tails (1971)

Tuesday, October 2nd
7. The Flesh and the Fiends (1960)
8. Nightmare City (1980) - Running zombies with a breast fetish!
9. Dog Soldiers (2002) -
10. Madhouse (1974) -
11. Manhattan Baby (1982) - I'm very forgiving of the slow pacing of many Fulci films, but this one was just intolerable.

Wednesday, October 3rd
12. Slime City (1988) - Great '80s gore flick in the vein of "Basket Case" and "Street Trash".
13. Theater of Blood (1973)
14. Slither (2006)
15. Frankenhooker (1990)

Thursday, October 4th
16. Corridors of Blood (1958)
17. 1408: Director's Cut (2007)
18. Paranoiac (1963)
19. Frailty (2001)
20. Dark Waters (1994)

Friday, October 5th
21. Scarecrows (1988)
22. The Haunted Strangler (aka "Grip of the Strangler") (1958)
23. Tales of Terror (1962)
24. Curse of the Demon (aka "Night of the Demon") (1957) - I actually agree with the producer's decision to show the demon...less is not always more.
25. I Walked with a Zombie (1943) -
26. Horrors of Malformed Men (1969) - Don't really have an opinion...yet.

Saturday, October 6th
27. Twice Told Tales (1963)
28. The Burning (1981) - Friday the 13 + Meatballs = The Burning. I was honestly expecting just another generic F13/slasher ripoff, but instead got
29. Dr. Giggles (1992) - One of the few decent '90s slashers.
30. From Beyond (1986) - Excellent.
31. The Hand (1981)
32. Tombs of the Blind Dead (La Noche del terror ciego) (1971)

Sunday, October 7th
33. Prom Night (1980)
34. The Return of the Vampire (1944)
35. Vampyr - Der Traum des Allan Grey (1932)
36. Cemetery Man (aka "Dellamorte Dellamore") (1994)
37. The Return of the Evil Dead (El Ataque de los muertos sin ojos) (1973)

WEEK #2

WEEK #3

WEEK #4

WEEK #5

☼ = FIRST TIME VIEWING
Dividing them into weekly posts is easy enough. Unfortunately, if you want to go find past lists quickly, that entails linking them somewhere ...preferably your signature ...that creates extra work. Most don't want the added hassle of putting 5 links in their sig. And I seriously doubt any of you would even consider doing what I do, which is to go back to every previous list and post every new and previous list link. In other words, that's 5 lists with 4 links a piece in addition to the 5 links in my sig for a total of 25 list links linking to my 5 weekly lists. Say that 5 times fast!

Damn, I never finished my mini-reviews!

Originally Posted by Trevor
29. (to be chosen by Chad)
Still haven't made a decision. But I can say for certain that it won't be an American film.
Old 08-26-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

House on Haunted Hill
The Tingler
The Pit and the Pendulum
Witchfinder General
I watched The Tingler during last year's challenge, so I'd rather not watch it again this year. Any of the others are fine with me, though if I had to pick I'd go with The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
Old 08-27-08, 06:45 AM

I'm dying to see Witchfinder General, so I'll be the only person to vote for that. :-p
Old 08-27-08, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
And I seriously doubt any of you would even consider doing what I do, which is to go back to every previous list and post every new and previous list link. In other words, that's 5 lists with 4 links a piece in addition to the 5 links in my sig for a total of 25 list links linking to my 5 weekly lists. Say that 5 times fast!
You don't want to compare to what I did. If I didn't do all that IMDB linking and fancy coloring I would have had time to double my numbers and maybe win the thing last year.

Still haven't made a decision. But I can say for certain that it won't be an American film.
Awesome!
Old 08-27-08, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
I'm dying to see Witchfinder General, so I'll be the only person to vote for that. :-p
If it ends up being a tie, I'd be willing to switch my vote to this. I just found a Vincent Price 7 movie collection at Costco last night, $15. So even though I already owned two of the films (the Phibes duo), I think it was a great value and I now own WG, which I've always heard great things about.
Old 08-27-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great call on the move, we must honor Vincent.
Vincent Price is my all-time favorite actor. Espescially horror. Anytime anyone wants to honor him, I'm all for it.
Also- While you're listing his movies to watch from Price, don't forget " The Haunted Palace "
this one is my favorite. Also starring Lon Chaney, Debra Paget.
Paget looks beautiful in the role she plays as well.

Last edited by JOE29; 08-27-08 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-27-08, 08:12 AM

If it ends up being a tie, I'd be willing to switch my vote to this. I just found a Vincent Price 7 movie collection at Costco last night, $15. So even though I already owned two of the films (the Phibes duo), I think it was a great value and I now own WG, which I've always heard great things about.
Damn I wish we had a Costco here. Sigh.
Old 08-27-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ooooo... what were the movies?

I might have to make a trip to my Costco and see if they have it.
Old 08-27-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for all the votes so far. Keep 'em coming.
^ I'll watch anything with Vincent Price!
You and me both. Now help me out and vote for one of those five.
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I watched The Tingler during last year's challenge, so I'd rather not watch it again this year.
I know how you feel. I'll probably skip watching Rosemary's Baby on the 10th since I watched it last year.
Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
Vincent Price is my all-time favorite actor. Espescially horror. Anytime anyone wants to honor him, I'm all for it.
He's definitely one of my favorites too. Somehow I ended up watching only one Vincent Price movie in each of the first two challenges. I made up for it last year by watching fifteen.
Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
Also- While you're listing his movies to watch from Price, don't forget " The Haunted Palace "
this one is my favorite. Also starring Lon Chaney, Debra Paget.
Paget looks beautiful in the role she plays as well.
I watched The Haunted Palace last year, and I may watch it again this year if I have time. I could've easily made it or The Tomb of Ligeia or Tales of Terror one of the choices in place of Witchfinder General.

Now help me out and vote for one of those five movies for the group to watch on the 25th and discuss on the 26th.
Old 08-27-08, 10:00 AM

Ooooo... what were the movies?

I might have to make a trip to my Costco and see if they have it.
http://www.amazon.com/Vincent-Price-Collection-Abominable-Witchfinder/dp/B000SK5ZFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1219849210&sr=1-1

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.