DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Sleeping Beauty Platinum--What's the Point? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/516701-sleeping-beauty-platinum-whats-point.html)

Joe Schmoe 11-08-07 06:59 PM

Sleeping Beauty Platinum--What's the Point?

Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" was released within the last 5 years as a 2-disc Masterpiece Edition. The picture was cleaned up, it's anamorphic, the sound got boosted to 5.1 DD, and it's loaded with extras. The only thing missing is the word "Platinum." What more could it need? Why do we need a Platinum Edition next year? Why doesn't Disney spend their time and resources releasing better DVD versions of movies that are only available in skimpy editions like "Hercules," "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," "The Rescuers," etc.?

Trevor 11-08-07 07:29 PM

I imagine they know they'll make more $ by putting out SB again.

I agree with you, but it's all about the cash.

Quack 11-08-07 07:38 PM

Especially with Disney it's about the moolah....

Giles 11-08-07 09:02 PM

with the sneak peak/trailer on the bluray's of CARS and RATATOUILLE - the very brief segment where they present the original and restored next to each other - the restored pic is waaay too green - oh hell, another botched restoration job... stop Disney, really...

just release the title I really really want - Pinocchio

Drexl 11-08-07 11:54 PM

It may have something to do with it being their first animated classic on BD. Perhaps they wanted something that would be a good showcase, considering it was 70mm. Pinnochio and Fantasia are the only other two remaining films to become Platinum titles, and they may have felt that starting with a 1.33:1 title wouldn't have worked as well for those who expect a widescreen image on their HDTV.

The Monkees 11-09-07 01:25 AM

I've been saying this for a while now. There are more than enough movies to make special editions, especially Pinocchio.

shyguy1083 11-09-07 01:44 AM

well, i think officially it's because they want one princess-related movie each year, if i'm not mistaken. i recall reading that over at ultimate disney, i think.

there really is absolutely NO reason for this release otherwise though. there are still several movies that are deserving of a new release, pinocchio being the obvious and most-referred-to example. but disney's weird and it looks like they're really skewing towards families now and not the collectors. their platinum lines seem to be decreasing in quality, favoring kid-related stuff rather than documentaries/commentaries/historical stuff. when i saw the preview for the 101 dalmatians dvd, the special features they tout are interactive games and crap like that. sigh.

i wish disney would release one DEFINITIVE edition for the grown-ups/collectors. have them each be 3-discs with a higher msrp but fill it to the brim with substantial features, maybe put it in nice packaging (kinda like the collector's edition releases that came with the platinum editions of aladdin/cinderlla/lion king). and then they can release the single-disc movie-only or whatnot for the families. doubtful that will ever happen, but it's nice to dream.

grim_tales 11-09-07 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
with the sneak peak/trailer on the bluray's of CARS and RATATOUILLE - the very brief segment where they present the original and restored next to each other - the restored pic is waaay too green - oh hell, another botched restoration job... stop Disney, really...

I really want Pinocchio too (though I have the 2003 UK release). I haven't got Sleeping Beauty yet, so will wait.

A-aron 11-09-07 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I've been saying this for a while now. There are more than enough movies to make special editions, especially Song of the South .

fixed

Elemental 11-09-07 09:17 AM

What's the point ?

Making much more point on Sleeping Beauty, that's the point.

By the way, Sleeping Beauty was only released in a couple of countries as a 2 disc SE, and has been out of print in most (incl. the US) for a few years now, so i'm sure they will sell a lot of those. In many regions it was only released in massacred Pan & Scan as well.

Gobear 11-09-07 09:43 AM

Acttually, there is one pressing reason to re-release Sleeping Beauty:

because I missed out on it the first time around, and I want to buy it.

PixyJunket 11-09-07 10:10 AM

Here's why:

Spoiler:
1080p BLU-RAY!
:drool: :drool: :drool:

grim_tales 11-09-07 10:22 AM

Wasn't Sleeping Beauty originally P/S?
I agree with Gobear though, it makes sense for those (like me) who didnt get it first time.

dcprules 11-09-07 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by grim_tales
Wasn't Sleeping Beauty originally P/S?
I agree with Gobear though, it makes sense for those (like me) who didnt get it first time.

No, Sleeping Beauty was widescreen alright (2.20:1 I believe).

PixyJunket 11-09-07 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by dcprules
No, Sleeping Beauty was widescreen alright (2.20:1 I believe).

It's one of only four Disney animated flicks in 2.35:1 (or its derivatives).

madara 11-09-07 02:01 PM

I for one would not be so swift to question this. After all this movie houses Maleficent which even decades past my childhood gives me the creeps. I hope for your sake she has not seen this thread.

Drexl 11-09-07 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
It's one of only four Disney animated flicks in 2.35:1 (or its derivatives).

(I swear I didn't look this up):

Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
The Black Cauldron
Atlantis: The Lost Empire

right?

pinata242 11-09-07 02:42 PM

Here's why:

Spoiler:
1080p BLU-RAY!

Yup yup. I'll be upgrading fo' shizzle.

PixyJunket 11-09-07 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl

Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
The Black Cauldron

right?

You are correct, good job.

Is it too much of me to wish for The Black Cauldron on Blu-Ray? :(

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yup yup. I'll be upgrading fo' shizzle.

It was also a 70mm film, so the HD version should be jaw-dropping.

WMAangel 11-09-07 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl

Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
The Black Cauldron

right?

Most of Brother Bear is also in scope (though it starts out in 1.85 flat)...

cultshock 11-09-07 07:26 PM

Here's why:

Spoiler:
1080p BLU-RAY!

:up: I'll happily buy this on Blu-ray.

The Monkees 11-09-07 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by achau9598
fixed

Um, okay, so what's the point of THAT!?

hotsexyboi 11-09-07 07:41 PM

Thats just the way Disney is. They like people to double dip

JarJarBinks 11-10-07 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear
Acttually, there is one pressing reason to re-release Sleeping Beauty:

because I missed out on it the first time around, and I want to buy it.

What he said. Not everyone got it the first time around, so why have a fit?

Snow White will probably get re-released in 2009 also, for Blu-Ray and DVD.

However I already own it, so I'll just pass on the release and be happy with what I have.

Pizza 11-10-07 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Giles

But then Pinocchio will be waaay too purple.