Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why we collect DVD's - the Definitive List of Reasons

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
25. It's the one thing in my life that I have complete control over (or does it have control over me...?)
Old 11-06-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
26. It's so empty and cold otherwise.
Old 11-06-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
27. Because I hate watching TV shows that are hacked up in syndication; same with movies; don’t like edited content.

-Just to go on a little more about that. Now being a big TV on DVD collector, I know that some sets end up having hacked up, syndicated episodes on the discs; but for the most part TOD sets contain the original broadcast episodes. Most films that are released on DVD are the unedited versions and some even have extra content that wasn’t shown during its original theatrical run. The odd time though (especially with horror films) some stuff does get edited.

The other reason I collect DVDs is number 26. "It's so empty and cold otherwise." basically all the reasons listed are why I collect DVDs as well. Good thread!
Old 11-06-07, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
28. I enjoy being my own TV Program Director.

(This is related to reason #7, and I want to expound on that. Collecting DVD's has allowed me to easily do away with an expensive monthly cable bill, and I have no craving for Tivo. Now, I have basic cable and a great deal of control over the content that my kids watch. Two drawers in my Can-Am cabinets are reserved for kid friendly movies and t.v. shows. Tivo may serve this programming control purpose for some, but it would not work for me. I know I would rapidly fill whatever hard drive space is available and then be stuck. How do I know this? By the number of rainy day shrink-wrapped DVD's in my collection. When friends extol the virtues of Tivo, I usually reply toungue-in-cheek with, "If it's not on DVD, it's not worth watching.")

(I'm also right there with reason #11 - enjoying browsing the cases in the collection. Simply doing that while trying to decide upon a flick to watch is an enjoyable exercise. Reviewing the spines of those I have seen is like fast forwarding through a montage of my favorite scenes.)

Last edited by Loc Nar; 11-06-07 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

29. collecting ferraris has become too mainstream

30. i prefer to watch movies than having to sleep with my girlfriend who works in the adult industry
Old 11-06-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I collect them to compensate for the size of my pathetically small penis.

Has that reason been used yet?
Old 11-06-07, 03:09 PM

31. Because we're all hoping to have a visitor who, upon seeing the collection for the first time, can only mutter "By the power of Greyskull....."
Old 11-06-07, 03:59 PM

has become a hobby, i like having a collection
Old 11-06-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
How about this thread? sounds similar (but not entirely) to this:

DVD Collector "Facts"
Similiar and different at the same time. It doesn't bother me.

As for the topic at hand, 32. I love how this medium has made it possible for me to see both movies (Richard Donner's cut of "Superman II") and infamous deleted material (such as the deleted "Alien" footage) that I never would have without it.
Old 11-06-07, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by leacha
8. Unlike VHS, my DVD player will not eat my DVD and the DVD will not go bad (hopefully).
Warning: my Onkyo DVD Player did just that three weeks after the warranty expired. One day I sat down to watch a new, fairly expensive DVD, but it just kept spinning faster and faster and wouldn't stop. After a while of that I got worried and hit the eject button, but the player opened the drawer with it still spinning and it scratched and carved up the DVD beyond use. The DVD player was toast, and I threw it out and bought a new one, but my newly purchased $30 DVD was gone forever.
Old 11-07-07, 09:11 AM

I don't view as collecting DVDs, rather I love movies and watch a lot of them. Financially, it just makes more sense to buy than rent.. And a lot of the films I watch aren't even available at local video stores. With DVDs now costing me an average of $6 and rentals costing $5 (plus time, gas, etc.) it just doesn't warrant the hassle to rent.The net/nicheflix paradigm doesn't work for me because I really never know in advance a) when I will have the time to watch, b) what mood I am in and what type of film I want to see. Also, sometimes it takes me months to go through a DVD (lotr, tv seasons, box sets, etc.)...

Collecting to me implies buying stuff for the sake of having stuff, either for displaying or investing..buying things because it's part of a set, unique/one of a kind packaging, etc. A lot of collectors I know never open the stuff they buy (it degrades the value). If I don't like the movie, I sell the DVD...

so, it's a matter of perspective. I stopped going out to the movies (we were going out 1 to 2x week) and canceled cable. Took that money and diverted it to buying DVDs. Over last 8 years, I have over 1,000 DVDs. A lot came from gifts (the perfect holiday/birthday gift for me!). 95% I have already seen and most of them I can imagine me seeing again sometime in the future (or my children seeing them).

So one can say I have collected a lot of stuff and I am a major collector.. or I just love to watch movies and have a lot of them.

: )

But to each their own.
Old 11-07-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I Collect DVDs Because ...

...it gives me something else to do in my free time that won't cause me go blind
Old 11-07-07, 11:28 AM

35-ish. Because my collection is not just a set of movies, it is a set of good memories that I can instantly relive whenever I want.

(Collecting DVD's is the cheapest form of time travel currently available. I think this is why you hear the proverbial, "X (Lucas) raped my childhood" when it comes to tweaks to movies released on DVD. The DVD contains not just a movie - but, ideally, a perfectly preserved memory of an enjoyable experience. If the movie is changed, the ability to "relive" the experience is changed. That, in my opinion, is why there was such a clamor for the original Star Wars flicks in their original unaltered glory. There are certain movies that, when I see them, instantly flip me back to where I was in life when I saw them. Star Wars and Conan the Barbarian are personal examples. Nostalgia is powerful.)