Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why don't you have a region free player?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why don't you have a region free player?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Never thought about it, I am happy with what I can get.
Old 11-05-07, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Breton
This is somewhat unrelated, but has anyone tried to hack a DVD drive on a computer? Both internal and external computer drives and recorders allow you a certain number of plays or records for non-Region 1 discs (I think four), but what happens when you exhaust that number? Is there a fix for it?
Just use VLC media player. No need to hack the drive and it'll play all regions.
Old 11-05-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate PAL speedup.
Old 11-05-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well, it's not so much that region free player is hard to come by. It's more like imported DVDs are more expensive to purchase. So, it's a bit of an investment but if there's enough you want you can justify it.
thats not true at all..ive gotten a lot imported dvds cheaper and quicker than a lot of US online vendors
Old 11-05-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
I don't have a region free player because I don't want to limit my choice of players. If Pioneer releases a region free player (advertised as such, not one that requires hacks), I will consider it.
ive owned a region free upconverting Pioneer for awhile now..bought my daughter a JVC player..the place carries a large variety of name brand ones ..yes they modify the hardware but i dont really consider it "hacked" and they guarantee the mods (for life) long after the mfg waranty runs out
I would hate limit myself just becasue some nonsensical US standard wants me to
Old 11-05-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ianholm
I hate PAL speedup.
That's one of my big reasons, along with just not needing the extra titles.
Old 11-05-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboy
Well, I must say your reply made no sense whatsoever. But by taking the stance that you have it is your loss. I guess I will just have to keep enjoying all my region 2 DVD's that are not available here in the US on that great Pioneer player that I am watching them on.
Made no sense whatsoever? What is so difficult to understand about being limited in choice of players?

I don't need access to region 2 DVDs. I buy discs for the films themselves. Not the extras or the packaging. As I've said, not having a region-free player hasn't prevented me from obtaining the titles that interest me. Sorry that it doesn't make sense to you.

For some reason, you have viewed MY choice of not having a region-free player as an attack on YOUR choice to have one. If you are insecure in your decision then... oh well.
Old 11-05-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never owned a DVD player, period.
Old 11-05-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
Made no sense whatsoever? What is so difficult to understand about being limited in choice of players?
The only 'limitation' in choice of players is your own personal decision to limit yourself to pioneer players.

I don't need access to region 2 DVDs. I buy discs for the films themselves. Not the extras or the packaging. As I've said, not having a region-free player hasn't prevented me from obtaining the titles that interest me. Sorry that it doesn't make sense to you.
Ultimately, THAT is your real reason. That you haven't wanted to buy a title like 1492, Howard the Duck, Survive Style 5+ or any of the thousands of films not available in R1 or any of the hundreds of BBC productions only available in R2.
Old 11-05-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tscott
10. I like to know exactly what I'm paying for a DVD without needing a conversion chart.

9. Patience can sometimes win out in the end (like holding out for the complete Twin Peaks set I can finally forget about my VHS tapes of the show).

8. I've got a long enough "to watch" pile as it is when I buy only region one releases.

7. I spend too much just buying region one releases as it is.

6. I barely have enough time to keep track of all the releases in the US I want, without needing to know what's coming out in every other country in the world.

5. I really only care about the movie- not collectible tins, posters, trinkets or an extra disc or two of extras I may or may not watch (and may or may not be in English if it's from another region).

4. In the unlikely event I were to run across a DVD from a different region that I must have, I can get it and watch it on my computer.

3. All my trusted on-line sites and B&M stores only sell region one, and I don't care to look for international places that may or may not be trustworthy.

2. Don't know enough to ward against bootlegs and such.

1. I don't want the DVD police to arrest me.
So you actually have a region-free player, thereby making the rest of your list invalid.
Old 11-05-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ianholm
I hate PAL speedup.
Yep, the only way I'll watch those DVD's is on my HTPC with WinDVD which has PAL pitch correction. If not for that I wouldn't bother.
Old 11-05-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have no fancy-pansy queer "free region dvd player" or whatever ya'll call it. I ain't getting one cuz I aint gonna support those damn arty foreign homo movies, especially those french ones. I'm hundred percent american and i'm gonna watch movies that are only grade-A U.S.A movies, damn straight! And none of ya'll should have a free region dvd player. You should only support American films - those are the only real films anyway, ya hear? If you watch foreigner films, then that means you are probably supporting terrorism or someone who's up to no good, like that damn commie Michel More

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-05-07 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spaced is the only reason I have ever thought of going region free and I can't see buying a region free player for only one reason.
Old 11-05-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I got mine about three years ago. It's a cheapy, and it doesn't save my spot when I stop the DVD and hit play again later. I need to upgrade at some point to a region free that can also replace my good region 1 player.
Old 11-05-07, 12:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I think most people have a region free player without realizing it.

I have owned about 6 DVD players over the years (still own them all, or gave them away as gifts), and all of them are marked as region 1. Yet 4 or 5 of them are region free with remote control combo "hacks".
Old 11-05-07, 01:00 PM

In response to a post above, actually in the UK at least it is extremely easy to get region-unlocked players. They are even on sale in major highstreet stores.

The explanation is simple. r1 has the largest and most comprehensive range of titles anywhere because it is the largest single market. r2 is just as big (in fact it has a lot more people) but it is fragmented by things like language as it incorporates Europe and Japan.

Fortunately, the UK and USA share a common language (mostly) so lots of people here want access to r1.

Inside r1 though, for the reason above, fewer people want access to other reasons. Usually you can get what you want in r1, so multi-region is more of a niche market. Most multi-region buyers consist of people outside r1 buying r1 discs - not people inside r1 buying other regions.

I have always owned a multi-region player since I started in 1998.
Old 11-05-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Spaced is the only reason I have ever thought of going region free and I can't see buying a region free player for only one reason.
I bought mine for Spaced a couple of years ago and it was well worth it.

Since then I've probably picked up 50 discs that are only available outside Region 1. With CDWOW and sales on amazon.co.uk and other sites I average below $10 a disc on my imports.
Old 11-05-07, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I don't have no fancy-pansy queer "free region dvd player" or whatever ya'll call it. I ain't getting one cuz I aint gonna support those damn arty foreign homo movies, especially those french ones. I'm hundred percent american and i'm gonna watch movies that are only grade-A U.S.A movies, damn straight! And none of ya'll should have a free region dvd player. You should only support American films - those are the only real films anyway, ya hear? If you watch foreigner films, then that means you are probably supporting terrorism or someone who's up to no good, like that damn commie Michel More
Old 11-05-07, 02:02 PM

I use the cheapie players to hack. I first brought a title (The Pretender the 3 volumes Virgin had in stock)in Paris when I was visiting. The Pretender was a US show but was really popular in France. I soon as I got around to being region free and was looking into buying the other volumes needed, I read an announement on the region 1 release for the show. I later ended up purchasing Ally Mcbeal on region 2.
Old 11-05-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
thats not true at all..ive gotten a lot imported dvds cheaper and quicker than a lot of US online vendors
I have too. But I would say on average I spend more on imported DVDs than US ones. Granted I buy the majority of my imports from the UK which automatically makes the price 2x the dollar.
Old 11-05-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matome
Yep, the only way I'll watch those DVD's is on my HTPC with WinDVD which has PAL pitch correction. If not for that I wouldn't bother.
If it's a movie or show that you've never seen, and don't have an extreme familiarity with a particular actor's voice, you would never know whether it's sped up or not. You have no point of reference. It therefore won't bother you. Plus, you get through the show 4% faster than by watching the NTSC version.
Old 11-06-07, 05:08 AM

I have 2 Pioneer DVD players and it plays all DVD regions. Just gives me a wider choice on my purchases.
Old 11-06-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel like "PAL Speed up" complaining is something that people who want to be techno snobs like to throw out there. It's like someone who doesn't really like baseball but likes talking about baseball throwing the phrase "that teams scrappy this year" out there. I watch a LOT of PAL discs, and only on movies that I've seen tens of times is it sometimes, somewhat noticiable, the way these people talk you'd think that everyone sounded like a munchkin.

I originally bought an all region for UK TV shows.
Old 11-06-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I have too. But I would say on average I spend more on imported DVDs than US ones. Granted I buy the majority of my imports from the UK which automatically makes the price 2x the dollar.
ive gotten plenty of R2 dvd's through CD WOW pretty damn cheap